NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...

I love NoDa but I hate the name.  When I tell people who are not familiar with Charlotte about NoDa they give me funny looks.  Who came up with that?  I know they were trying to be cool and sound like SoHo, but while SoHo rolls off your tongue NoDa does not, and sounds gimmicky and silly.  I understand the village there developed because of two mills, one of which was called Highland Park Mill.  What a nice name that is.  Why couldn't the city planners honor the community with a name that is meaningful to the community's history and call it Highland Park, or Highland Park Village?  IMO that would be way better than NoDa.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New orange and blue aka Clemson apartments at the aforementioned lonely 25th St station and those apartments along Jordan St between Brevard and Davidson are really going up too no photos today.  But the garage is underway now.   Lots of people soon will be living within a block of the 25th st station. 

On the name note, the area was first called The Arts District and is still used in MLS but NoDa was thought up to be the SoHo of Charlotte.  The name stuck and if you say Arts District no one knows what you are talking about.  

IMG_8085.JPG

• Like 3

I love NoDa but I hate the name.  When I tell people who are not familiar with Charlotte about NoDa they give me funny looks.  Who came up with that?  I know they were trying to be cool and sound like SoHo, but while SoHo rolls off your tongue NoDa does not, and sounds gimmicky and silly.  I understand the village there developed because of two mills, one of which was called Highland Park Mill.  What a nice name that is.  Why couldn't the city planners honor the community with a name that is meaningful to the community's history and call it Highland Park, or Highland Park Village?  IMO that would be way better than NoDa.

I disagree, it’s the only one I don’t hate. Out of curiosity which soho you talking about nyc or London? Because Soho in London is 2 centuries older than SoHo in NYC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I disagree, it’s the only one I don’t hate. Out of curiosity which soho you talking about nyc or London? Because Soho in London is 2 centuries older than SoHo in NYC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm talking about either/or.  The name of the NY neighborhood was inspired by the London SoHo, even though it's also has that name legitimately, being south of Houston St.    Re: NoDa, I'm not only speaking for myself because, as I mentioned, other people who I have told about the neighborhood have had the same reaction to the name.  It's cheesy and goofy-sounding to me, but Highland Park is not.

4 hours ago, dubone said:

The naming convention like that from New York is a common practice in many urban centers, as acronyms ( actually acronyms versus the initialism of our country's abbreviated name... USA).   

The historic name was North Charlotte, which was confusing for many because it's not really north and it is now well surpassed in city limits, so it became North Davidson or North Davidson Arts District from the street, which of course was confusing because the northern end of our county is the town of Davidson.     

And using the other historic name for the area -- Highland Park -- would have also solved the issue of confusion.  You mentioned South End and Uptown.  While I have no problem with those names per se, Charlotte is the only city I know of that has an uptown but no downtown.  It even has a midtown.  I'm not expert on this, but isn't midtown supposed to be between uptown and downtown?  Or maybe South End is now downtown (although I like the name South End).

48 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

And using the other historic name for the area -- Highland Park -- would have also solved the issue of confusion.  You mentioned South End and Uptown.  While I have no problem with those names per se, Charlotte is the only city I know of that has an uptown but no downtown.  It even has a midtown.  I'm not expert on this, but isn't midtown supposed to be between uptown and downtown?  Or maybe South End is now downtown (although I like the name South End).

I think @JacksonH is a Nashville or possibly even Atlanta native implanted here to subvert our city and make us question everything and every name we hold dear. I'm on to you Jackson

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I don't know "Highland Park" sounds like a subdivision out in Ballantyne to me. 

For midtown and uptown definition/meaning, it really depends on the city.  For instance in New Orleans, uptown is technically west of downtown, but it's "up river".  Midtown is north of both downtown and uptown.  In Houston, midtown is south of downtown, while uptown in out off the 610.   It seems like a lot of cities are trending away from "downtown" and more toward "City Center" or something similar also.  

• Like 2

I don't know "Highland Park" sounds like a subdivision out in Ballantyne to me. 

For midtown and uptown definition/meaning, it really depends on the city.  For instance in New Orleans, uptown is technically west of downtown, but it's "up river".  Midtown is north of both downtown and uptown.  In Houston, midtown is south of downtown, while uptown in out off the 610.   It seems like a lot of cities are trending away from "downtown" and more toward "City Center" or something similar also.  

I can’t get behind highland park, because that’s an upper crust as hell neighborhood in several cities, namely Dallas. That’s not the vibe I want. It’s NoDa, which rolls off the tongue very easily for most people who live in Charlotte. It’s never made me cringe like LoSo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@SoDoSoPa talk about a relevant username for the discussion.

For people unfamiliar with these abbreviated naming conventions, noda is confusing. I can say Elizabeth, dilworth, or South end and people don't really blink but saying noda confuses them for some reason.

But I like it as long as we don't end up with anymore places named similarly.

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

@SoDoSoPa talk about a relevant username for the discussion.

For people unfamiliar with these abbreviated naming conventions, noda is confusing. I can say Elizabeth, dilworth, or South end and people don't really blink but saying noda confuses them for some reason.

But I like it as long as we don't end up with anymore places named similarly.

well. NoDa is probably the single most geographically overused neighborhood moniker in Charlotte. Nobody really knows where it stops and ends. So that might be the confusion. 

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

well. NoDa is probably the single most geographically overused neighborhood moniker in Charlotte. Nobody really knows where it stops and ends. So that might be the confusion. 

Too many smaller neighborhoods nearby.  I moved from NoDa to Villa Heights recently.  Nobody knows were Villa Heights is.  Same thing with Optimist Park above Parkwood. 

Meanwhile, I have heard people want to take the stretch above Craighead, which is actually part of NoDa, and give it another name.   Makes me want to stab them with a spoon.

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

New orange and blue aka Clemson apartments at the aforementioned lonely 25th St station and those apartments along Jordan St between Brevard and Davidson are really going up too no photos today.  But the garage is underway now.   Lots of people soon will be living within a block of the 25th st station. 

On the name note, the area was first called The Arts District and is still used in MLS but NoDa was thought up to be the SoHo of Charlotte.  The name stuck and if you say Arts District no one knows what you are talking about.  

IMG_8085.JPG

These apartments look fantastic.  Couple questions though...

1 - Anyone able to speculate yet on the Monthly rent fees for new apartments in the OP, NoDa area versus more established SouthEnd apartments which have become pretty expensive?

2 - How do you think the several (2 or 3 I think) Apartments along Brevard St, north Davidson street, etc. that are currently under construction besides/adjacent to  salvage yards, truck areas, etc. will lease up?  Just curious to me that developers don't think these adjacent lots and uses would discourage renters from living besides these places.

3 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

2 - How do you think the several (2 or 3 I think) Apartments along Brevard St, north Davidson street, etc. that are currently under construction besides/adjacent to  salvage yards, truck areas, etc. will lease up?  Just curious to me that developers don't think these adjacent lots and uses would discourage renters from living besides these places.

There were very similar situations for several Southend apartments back in 2008.  Spectrum was beside a old warehouse that was mostly an ad hoc homeless shelter (<-- became fancy office space and a sushi joint) and was across the tracks from a former chemical storage facility (<--  became Publix). There were no issues filling units then.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

That's a good point. Aside from literally north Davidson street I couldn't define the boundaries very well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

These apartments look fantastic.  Couple questions though...

1 - Anyone able to speculate yet on the Monthly rent fees for new apartments in the OP, NoDa area versus more established SouthEnd apartments which have become pretty expensive?

Yes the orange is gorgeous. Developers need to know what people think because those other small apartments facing the lightrail, the brown brick, and pink exterior one that was just finished last year look terrible and alreayd outdated.