NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I live 5 houses across N. Davidson St. and the tracks. It is just right. I am not a heavy sleeper and have yet to be awakended by the train. You have to love trains to live much closer to the tracks, because it might as well be rerouted through their living rooms. I was told the light rail will use that track, but also told it will "share" that track with trains. That would be interesting... but I hope that train goes for the sake of those who live along N. Davidson.

I didn't think that the FRA would allow light rail vehicles to share the same track as freight vehicles. I assume they can share the same ROW, as long as a certain buffer distance exist from the freight tracks.

Those tracks belong to the NCRR, correct? Is the NCRR cutting CATS a sweet ROW deal like they are for TTA? I would assume they are (which would explain the alignment CATS chose).

I think that when the northeast LRT is built, that part of Charlotte will become one of the most desirable places to be--just look at what has happened in Noda already without any kind of special transit attention.

That would be surprising considering the extra cost.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but as a tourist amenity, it would be much better to have the historic trolley go between historic north charlotte and historic south end. The extra cost would just be the cost of operating the trolley the extra few miles, which might have enough extra tourism benefit to warrant it. It would be unfortunate if tourists only go to 9th street, when alpha mill, highland mill, and the north davidson business district/galleries are just a few miles further on the same track (when light rail tracks are extended).

I'm closing on my unit at The Renaissance at the end of May. OMG, I cant wait!!!! It is going to be nice to live 3 miles from work. With gas prices on the rise, I think I'll take the bus into work (hmmm, that will also save me $80 on parking a month). I currently live in the University Area. This is a move UP!

Now NoDa needs a Harris-Teeter!!!!!

Edited by PhartNocker

• 1 month later...

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-110.htm

Apparently "NoDa at 28th" is requesting zoning for filling in the rest of its lot with more mixed uses... residential, office, retail, etc. It is a nice old warehouse that is now retail, but has a large amount of space on its lot. this kind of infill will be great for noda south of matheson/30th.

here is the sat image of the area, although it is from before the renovation from warehouse, so it shows the truck/industrial uses.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=charlotte&ll...07693&t=k&hl=en

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Longtime lurker, first-time poster living in Noda. A few questions I've been wondering about:

(1) If/when they move that multimodal facility between Brevard and Tryon to the airport, does that mean they could get rid of that Matheson Ave overpass?

(2) Does anybody know what plans might be in store for that little cluster of houses between Caldwell and Brevard just north of 277? Are they going to tear them all down eventually?

(3) The condos at the intersection of N. Davidson and 34th have almost sold out--last I checked, only two remained. Was Crosland waiting until they sold those out before starting on the project across the street at the old restaurant (Fat Tuesday, I think)?

1. It seems unlikely, especially since the LRT will eventually run up there....it is one less grade separation to worry about.

2. It depends on where you are talking......everything south of 16th will go, but between 16th and Parkwood, there are no plans that I am aware of by any developers or the city to demolish those houses, though I'm sure as the land increases in value those houses will either be renovated or torn-down for something higher density.

3. I'm not sure what Crosland is waiting for on the Fat City site, but it would make sense to sell out 2200 N Davidson first. Also, their project there by far is the most expensive condo project in the neighborhood, so it could be a barometer to decided whether to do a similar project or one with more units and possibly less expensive.

If we're talking about the same houses, the last time I drove through there it looked like they had stickers indicating they were condemned, so I am hoping they will be torn down.

I asked before in this thread if anymore houses were going to be torn down for the current Tuscan projects and was told they were not, but the houses I think you're talking about are closer to downtown. It looks like they haven't been occupied in a long time.

Edited by f0xym0p

Norfolk/Southern would only move the inter-modal facility to the airport. They would still need much of the land they have near Matheson for the train yard, although the city has commissioned a study (currently underway) for the economic impact of the approximately 15 acres that would be freed up by moving inter-modal.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one. I have heard a few NODA rumors recently.

I have heard a physician has been buying up a lot of property around 36th and N. Davidson. I think he now owns everything in the Boudreaux's building all the way to the neighborhood theatre. I have heard he has plans to build a building fronting N. Davidson where the parking lot is now. I don't know about his plans for the other buildings. This is of course a rumor, I have no concrete evidence.

I also saw the rezoning for land across N. Davidson (at N. Davidson and 36th) where it looks like someone is priming that property for something bigger when that area gets a little closer to light rail.

Didn't know if anyone else has heard these rumors or had heard anything more about them.

Also there is a lot of vacant retail space in NODA and I think the rental rates are quite high for that neighborhood. I think it's almost cheaper to find space along S. Tryon and Camden in SouthEnd than to find space on N. Davidson St. Does anyone else think that a few building owners are getting a little too greedy and that that will hurt this neighborhood?

There is also now a rezoning for N Davidson at 37th.....there is currently a single family home there now....

I haven't paid much attention to what the rental rates are like between 35th and 36th which is the prime block...I believe they are in the $8 range up at The Colony project just north of there.....I think anything in the $12 range is reasonable, and an independent business could survive. Camden is likely in the $16-$18 range, but that's simply a guess.

I have recently been helping a few retailers seek space in the center city neighborhoods. I have found several spaces in the Camden/Tryon area for $10-14. SouthEnd tends to be fairly reasonable in places. Of course it can get really high in places as well as I've also seen $22. From what I have seen NoDa often goes for around $12. I think SouthEnd seems to be attracting tenants that otherwise would have gone to NoDa because of that. I do think it's great that SouthEnd is reasonable in areas as it will further the growth we are seeing on Camden/Tryon. I think Plaza-Midwood is a huge threat to NoDa though. In all honesty, I think PM's retail blows NoDa out of the water with City Supply, Lotus, Boris and Natasha etc.. PM has several great bars and restaurants like Dish and Thomas St. Tavern. It was discussed in another thread that The Perch is back in PM. When the new condo projects start popping up along Central I think NoDa will see what kind of competition it is dealing with and those rental rates may have to go down. This is all just my opinion.

I'm not an expert in this kind of stuff, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one factor going against NoDa retail is that the neighborhood isn't a thoroughfare--it's not really on the way to anything else. Plaza-Midwood is between East Charlotte and downtown, Southend is between South Charlotte and downtown, but I don't think you really go through NoDa unless you're going *to* NoDa. (Or unless you're driving an 18-wheeler to the multimodal factility.) The retail there has to serve either neighborhood residents--and there are only so many of those--or people making the neighborhood a destination. Ergo, restaurants, wine bars, and galleries, but no dry cleaners, gas stations, or Harris Teeters.

Speaking of retail, it looks like they've been recently working on that new lounge, called Gilda. Curious to see what that place will be like. It looks like Dolce Vita is almost ready to open in its new location as well. And does anybody know what the deal is with those two empty one-story buildings on Davidson between 34th and 35th? I wish the owner(s) would do something with them.

I'm not an expert in this kind of stuff, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one factor going against NoDa retail is that the neighborhood isn't a thoroughfare--.

I agree. I am stumped by the fact this place is so disonected. I think the area has a ton of potential, but hate the fact that there is no connection between Uptown and 36th/37th streets without going through the "hood" . I HATE going to NoDa because of this. I am hoping that they will take a bulldozer to a lot of the blighted area that is basically the entrance to NoDa. If and when that takes place, there will be room for tons of growth and hopefully not at the expense of the artists' who call this place home.

One thing Charlotte has a nack for doing is pricing out the people that make a community unique to start with.

When will we ever learn that a unique community is made by the people that reside there, not the number of high-end boutiques and eclectic shops we can cram into the base of a condo building. I am against this practice and would rather NoDa stay disconnected from Uptown if it helps in keeping greed from taking a wonderful place and making it a generic, cold neighborhood that is "cool" for the Charlotte banker and yuppie.

A2

B)

Edited by A219724

optimist park is definitely ugly right now.... but i don't think they need to bulldoze the whole place in order for it to turn around.

there is 1/3 of a billion dollars going into that neighborhood over the next 5-10 years. it WILL turn around.

I agree O.Park will be a serious turn-around story in the upcoming years. I just hope we do not lose the culture and "grit" that is in the NoDa area because of developers greed.

I want unique places in CLT to STAY unique. Charlotte already lacks an art community.

These places where musicians, artists, writers, and most all of the arts community converge is very hard to find here.

I can easily see this being stripped away in Noda by the almighty dollar.

A2

Edited by A219724