NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

We got breakfast at the Coffee Cup this morning. The space is pretty good - kind of diner-feeling - but not rundown diner. Small place - exposed brick walls, booths, second floor seating overlooking the first. The menu was very small, very standard (I never ate at the original CC - but basic/soul food options). I met the owner who confirmed that they are the same CC from Morehead/University - same waitstaff, same cook.

I was surprised to find out that they are not open on Sunday (this is when we usually would get breakfast/brunch). But they are open late night for post Alive/Prevue crowd.

Also - Crepe Cellar is looking very close to opening. I am very excited about this place - got a good streetvibe, and the inside looks to be the same. If it weren't raining, I would try to take a picture. Fu's Custom Tattoos has put up a sign above the former gallery space on on the corner of 35th. I'm certainly not knocking our galleries, but I think tattoos are just as important art as anything on a canvas. Plus, these are my people - and I know the vibe around a tattoo place usually feels right for NoDa. I don't know much about Fu's - they used to/are still on N. Tryon just on the edge of Uptown (by the men's shelter - right?) Anyone know about their work, artists?

And this is only talk, but I noticed a little work going on in the empty space right next to Cabo Fish Taco. I have no idea what that means, but I can only hope for an expansion of Cabo - the last 2 times we have tried to go on a weekend night, we've had 1.5 hour wait for a table.

Once the sun comes out I'll take some pictures.

Wow. Seems like a lot is going on over there. It all sounds great, too. Not chains and fun vibe stuff. I have friends moving over to NoDa next month when they close on their house - they were already excited but a lot of this has increased their excitement, especially the pending grocer in the Mercury project.

For anyone who reads this in the next couple hours, this weekend two artists leased the Newco Fiber building for an art gallery. Their art is AMAZING, and the historical structure is equally AMAZING. They said that they would like to raise enough money to lease it for the year, but only have it for the weekend - I hope they can keep this place - I would suggest anyone everyone who can do so - get over there today. Here's some photos I took just a minute ago:

Newco%20012.jpg

Newco%20007.jpg

Newco%20006.jpg

Newco%20005.jpg

Newco%20002.jpg

I agree, this place is just an awesome space with a really cool vibe.

Jruckman and I did an interview & tour Saturday for CLTblog. They have to come up with money for a lease by Wed. in order to keep using the space. Andrea Brown is the one wearing red and helped create Dugg Dugg.

3415252741_69b61f6ae7.jpg

We got to see some of the other space as well. There is an amazing, empty, open space that is both humbling and mystical at the same time.

3416061180_20a5eded7d.jpg

I just want to chill here for a day or two.

3415253685_1c5c750917.jpg

This is Stephan Monteserin. You may remember him from the Sundance film Perfecto!

3415253891_4fed2b0a04.jpg

Some photos from the gallery:

3416058638_43eed5f597.jpg

3416101330_7de9e7e0ae.jpg

3415292909_1dd333bea9.jpg

If you want to see the full set it is here on Flickr. Interview coming soon to http://CLTblog.com

The first tenant that I'm aware of for the Fat City Lofts building will be a 5/3 Bank Branch. I don't know how the NoDa locals feel about it, but I think its great that a service is moving in that will help people in the neighborhood be able to stay in the neighborhood (what I mean is walk to do something instead of having to drive).

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't really call it a spur. It's a shortline called the ACWR (Aberdeen Carolina & Western Railway). It's a part of the former Norfolk Southern mainline between Norfolk and Charlotte by way of Raleigh. When I say Norfolk Southern, I am not talking about the modern Norfolk Southern; I mean this one.

We went to see a show at The Neighborhood Theater this weekend on Saturday (Big Head Todd and the Monsters). We went over for dinner early and couldn't get in anywhere -- GREAT to see all the restaurants doing so well. We ended up getting a sandwich at Salvadore Deli. We were there with friends in town from Miami -- they love the vibe in the neighborhood and were surprised at the lack of chain stores and restaurants. I haven't been out in NoDa for months -- I was surprised to see how packed everywhere was and all the folks on the sidewalk. I also didn't realize a new little bar had opened beside the N'hood Theater. We hit Solstice after the show and met up with friends. Overall fantastic night -- i really wish light-rail was in place though, only drawback for us was getting there since we aren't used to going anywhere that isn't a quick walk or bike ride. Living in this area would be great though, especially if/once a good small grocer is in place (with good selection and fresh options).

The 5/3 bank branch sort of epitomizes the 180 that site has done since the funky Fat City deli closed. It's great that a service is there, but in a city full of bankers and banking towers, NODA was a nice place to go and not think about finance!

The 5/3 bank branch sort of epitomizes the 180 that site has done since the funky Fat City deli closed. It's great that a service is there, but in a city full of bankers and banking towers, NODA was a nice place to go and not think about finance!

Simply as a counter point (and from someone who spent many many nights at Fat City), this is all fine and good until you live there and have to leave to get to simple services like banking, grocery shopping, etc. As it is they still have a fantastic supply of homegrown galleries, restaurants, bars, and cafes that seem to be doing great -- small things like a bank and a grocer just make it a 'complete' neighborhood where residents have to leave less and less to do what they need to do. The great thing, to me, is the handful of new non-chain galleries and cafes that have opened despite a crappy economy.

^I agree. Here's the thing: I've spent a lot of time going over the North Charlotte Vision Plan on file with the city (from 1995) and if you look at the what "North Charlotte" offered - than today's "NoDa" is exactly what they had planned out x4. You lose Fat City for live music, but you gain Neighborhood Theatre, Evening Muse, Wine Up and Savladore Deli. You lose Mellow Mushroom, but you gain Crepe Cellar, Cabo, Boudreaux, Revolution. You lose Art Preserve, but you gain Green Rice, Boulevard, Dugg Dugg, Beet Contemporary, Center of the Earth, Fu's (yes this is art!). You lose beer at Fat City, but you gain Sanctuary, Solstice, Dolce Vita, Dog Bar. you lose Hand's Pharmacy but you gain Brown Bag, Salvador Deli, Food Lion (ummmm wait...) It's all net gain.

Edited by The Escapists

Since Fat City holds such an iconic place in Charlotte's alternative history it would be great if a regular could tell me why it was so popular? Was it a bar and a restaurant, hookup spot, dance club or all three? Charlotte's version of Studio 54? There seems to have been a wide variety of fans from all orientations and backgrounds. Does any other place has the same feeling today or can it not be replicated?

I think Common Market is close to having a similar vibe in terms of crowd mix, funky atmosphere, and fun place to hang out.

Fat City, at least for me and my friends, was a very laid back place with a complete mix of people day and night. They had great food, cheap beer (PBR tallboys were the main thing), and really fun atmosphere. There was a huge outdoor dining area beside the place and a large vacant area in an old building shell where bands played, art classes did huge firings for pottery and sculture on gallery crawl nights. Its really hard to describe if you hadn't been there. The main guy who ran the place and was one of the owners, KC Terry, was an animated character as well. Without KC there would be no Fat City. But there is always good with bad -- he created a great atmosphere but also was well known to provide 'party favors' and alcohol to underage kids with the intention of bedding them.

Since Fat City holds such an iconic place in Charlotte's alternative history it would be great if a regular could tell me why it was so popular? Was it a bar and a restaurant, hookup spot, dance club or all three? Charlotte's version of Studio 54? There seems to have been a wide variety of fans from all orientations and backgrounds. Does any other place has the same feeling today or can it not be replicated?

Here's my unique angle on Fat City: I spent my college years playing in a band, we toured a lot and the first time we ever came to Charlotte, we played at Fat City. I remember getting on 277 and seeing the city off to the right (this is circa BOA Tower, but not yet Hearst etc. maybe 1997ish?) the city looked pretty impressive and we were surprised to see how impressive it looked in comparison to many, many other cities we toured to. But then we turned onto Davidson St and headed away from the city and I specifically remember the barbed wire, impound lots, and thinking "wait, we're going the wrong way!" And then we popped out into NoDa - which at this time was pretty treacherous, but again, not the worst place we had ever been (East Baltimore). But we piled out at Fat City and we met a lot of cool people in an enclave in a pretty treacherous neighborhood. And the vibe was good, and we felt like we should be there. I don't remember much about the shows at Fat City, or really that much about the food or beers or the inside of the building. But we were surprised that it existed over there, and enjoyed visiting whenever we came through town. In other words, it felt very autonomous - and that was appealing.

Funny thing though, I never wanted to LIVE anywhere near NoDa. Even years later when I moved to Charlotte and started searching for a house to buy, I didn't even bother looking in NoDa because I had this opinion about what it was. And now that I live here, it's very different that I thought, and just right for me. Maybe because it reminds me of where I started, or who I am/once was. But it's not stuck there either - it still feels autonomous, but not quite as much of an enclave. If Fat City was still around, I doubt it would be as cool as we want to remember it, but for a little while it was very important to some of us, even in small ways.

• 2 weeks later...

I bet Fat City goes half rentals just like Catalyst did. The developer is going to be left holding a lot of these according to what a sales agent told me their sold number was last week. I just don't see them closing a couple units and then having the majority of the building sit vacant for sale. This developer must be needing money as several of their recent projects haven't come close to sold out.

Since Fat City holds such an iconic place in Charlotte's alternative history it would be great if a regular could tell me why it was so popular? Was it a bar and a restaurant, hookup spot, dance club or all three? Charlotte's version of Studio 54? .....
Depending upon when you went, it could be all of the above except for Studio 54. The appeal of Fat City was that it was what it was. It wasn't a place trying to make believe that it was something else like some sort of faux disneyesk experience that you see in 98% of Charlotte establishments.

KC essentially put a kitchen in one of the old dilapidated buildings there, without doing any "This Old House" style renovations and the dining area was out on the concrete platform beside it where there was an old funeral tent protecting people from the sun and the rain. When it was cold he wrapped it in plastic and put a propane heater in place. When it was hot, well.... you sweated. I've seen everything from business people eating there for lunch to someone dancing in nothing but their underware on top of a barrel.

The food was fairly simple good stuff that catered to most appetites and ranged from sandwiches, to banana pudding (popular with one of the forumers here), to vegetarian rollups. You sat on whatever kind of table and chairs that KC could get in there. KC also didn't put on airs. It wasn't unusual while you were eating for him to show up with his big belly covered by a food stained apron to chat with you about almost anything.

BTW, "Family" and you know what that means Voyager were well treated there.

-----------------

We also don't talk about it much, but there was a very popular, in vegetarian circles, vegetarian restaurant across the street also in an old house. The restaurant was called Kellys and had an really nice atmosphere. It also didn't suffer from a bunch of "This Old House" like renovations. In fact the building often looked as if it was getting ready to fall the ground. This place closed around the same time that Fat City did, and the building has since been torn down. It was replaced by those mundane work condos across the street from Kellys.