NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

What's up with the south/east side of North Davidson Street? Aside from the Crepe place and a few art galleries, it seems like its mostly vacant over there.

Niche, a clothing/shoe boutique in Southend, had tried to open a second store but closed earlier this year. Crepe Cellar replaced Addies. A new tattoo parlor opened in one of the stores, and there's Beet and Center of the earth. Then there are the two vacant buildings which were mentioned previously in the thread. Down towards 34th st that relatively new building had an ice cream parlor open and close before anyone noticed, and now I think the only shop is a beauty salon. On the other side of the street, there is Cabo Fish Taco, a vacant building, Dolce Vita with another vacancy in the same building, the new bar that is supposed to open in the fall in the small gray building, then Salvadore Deli and the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Slow day today. So here's a quicky picture to pass the time:

28th Row (from inside Villa Heights)

and it's not much of a shot, but here is the "front" (although the front is behind the retail portion and in a dirt lot right now).

I this project on hold or are they just really slow?

NoDa according to the old banners is registered as a National Historic District as North Charlotte correct? I know this is merely window dressing without enforcement. I don't think there is a local review commission like the relevant portions of Dilworth and PlazaMidwood have. It's a shame because I have been noticing more and more examples of oversized houses looming over the older homes. Noticed two offenders on McDowell today. The homes are actually rather attractive just out of proportion in my opinion. Pretty funny that the builder behind them is called "Bungalow Designs". These two at least do not meet the definition of bungalow that I know. You would think buyers who are attracted to NoDa would have the mindset of wanting to contribute to maintaining the older style which fosters the neighborly atmosphere.

Also, is Mercury NoDa really moving forward on any level? The office is always closed when I go by during normal biz hours and there is a banner for a festival that happened months ago still hanging there.

Edited by voyager12

Does anyone have any old pictures of NoDa? By old I mean ANYTHING - 10 years, 20 years, 80 years.

I am working an a big project and I would really appreciate anyone who would be willing to look through their old photo boxes and Polaroids.

And lets see how much you all can help me piece together:

Northside of N. Davidson St in order (heading from uptown):

Johnston YMCA

Fat City Deli

Hands Pharmacy/Martinos

Lost in the 50s

Absinthe Gallery

Pat's Time for One More

Acanthus Gallery/Wrightnow Gallery

(was there anything in the gray building)

(what was Salvador Deli?)

(McCullough auto parts place?)

(what was Solstice?)

(what about Evening Muse?)

36th St.

(tell me about the Boulevard building before it was galleries)

(dog bar?)

Johnston and Meck Mills

Southside of N. Davidson St. in order (heading from uptown same as above):

Ruby's Java Joint/Kelly's Cafe

(single story retail front?)

Barberia's Billiards

(what was in the falling down buildings before they were rebuilt and became Adies?)

(what about the original restored building that became Niche Mkt eventually)

35th St.

Rocco Fish/Blue Pony/Art Preserve (now Fu's Tattoos)

Center of the Earth

Firestation (tell me about before the fire station)

Consolidated Press (before that?)

Boarding house/(anything?)Mellow Mushroom/Moondog/Revolution

36th St.

Anyone got anything more they can add? Pics, stories, info - Thanks so much everyone

I don't think its been mentioned on here, but Lat Purser is pursuing a 24 unit residential project on 36th st. immediately across McDowell (I think) from the Church, so maybe about 3 blocks east of 36th and Davidson. They were responsible for the little rehab and new construction project at 35th and Yadkin that finished up recently.

I believe the only thing currently on the propsed site is a pretty worn house.

I don't think its been mentioned on here, but Lat Purser is pursuing a 24 unit residential project on 36th st. immediately across McDowell (I think) from the Church, so maybe about 3 blocks east of 36th and Davidson. They were responsible for the little rehab and new construction project at 35th and Yadkin that finished up recently.

I believe the only thing currently on the propsed site is a pretty worn house.

The 'hood is pretty split about this one. You've got some pretty loud voices on both sides.

The house is original - it is pretty worn - but it's got some originality to it - cool wrap around porch. The other problem would be the demise of a HUGE 100 year old oak tree in the back yard.

On the other hand, the proposed project is exactly what we had asked the developer to do (he had approached us and asked what our requests would be about 6 months ago). Sidewalk stoops on walkout units, brick and hardiplank, 2 stories, small central courtyard with access to connect sidewalk to concealed back parking.

The consideration is to move the house to another lot (anyone want a house?). The tree would have to go no matter what. They will plant 10 trees anywhere in the 'hood as retribution. I've got to say that I respect their style. They've got the 'hood's best interests in mind.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would do a little update about what's happening in NoDa:

- They're installing gates at the crossing of N. Davidson St & A&WCC RR (this is the small single track running behind Brown Bag. They've also uncovered the sidewalks and I assume will rebuild them on both sides of the street.

- Steel Gardens is still building and selling phases - they're almost finished framing of the units fronting Spencer @ Academy.

They've also leveled out the lot for the second interior building flats/apts. I don't know if they are building it now, or if they just wanted to clean up the site for the livability of the neighbors. They still have not started construction on the most interior row along the A&WCC (the last phase).

- Piedmont Properties has cleared out the industrial lot next to Steel Gardens (fronting Academy, Spencer, Anderson & A&WCC). It is now for sale.

- I'm told that Lat Purser might reconsider the proposed rezoning on 36th and McDowell to save the house and tree...

- I haven't heard about the rezoning of the little gray building next to the Salvadore Deli courtyard on Davidson. But Will Puckett's mural is really looking great on the wall. I'm told that if/when the rezoning is completed, and the building is reopened, it will be a bar operated by some guy(s?) from Prevue and it will have a roofdeck. I hope that's not just a rumor, sounds good to me.

- Speaking of Salvadore Deli's courtyard: they've really done a lot to bring life back to the streets in NoDa. Everyone misses the courtyard from Fat City, and the streetvibe of old days, and Salvadore Deli has an outside stage that stays busy at least a couple different nights a week.

- There is a local-grown farmers tent and crafts market on weekend mornings at the corner of 36th and Yadkin.

- A yarn/craft store is going to open at the end of the month next to Dolce Vita.

- Tasty-Yo is always packed.

- The sign for Fifth Third is up inside the Fat City windows.

-Everyone in "the know" is waiting for October to find out about the closing/construction of a bridge at Sugar Creek/NCRR. I'm not sure how it will work out - but a representative from CATS had told me that NCDOT & NCRR were handling the construction of the Sugar Creek grade separation including the potential CATS bridge - and in turn CATS was handling the 36th Street grade separation including the NCRR bridge. So I wonder if the "go" for Sugar Creek makes the 36th Street project a "go" - despite the allocation of funds for the BLE... Anyone know?

Edited by The Escapists

I thought I would do a little update about what's happening in NoDa:

- They're installing gates at the crossing of N. Davidson St & A&WCC RR (this is the small single track running behind Brown Bag. They've also uncovered the sidewalks and I assume will rebuild them on both sides of the street.

-Everyone in "the know" is waiting for October to find out about the closing/construction of a bridge at Sugar Creek/NCRR. I'm not sure how it will work out - but a representative from CATS had told me that NCDOT & NCRR were handling the construction of the Sugar Creek grade separation including the potential CATS bridge - and in turn CATS was handling the 36th Street grade separation including the NCRR bridge. So I wonder if the "go" for Sugar Creek makes the 36th Street project a "go" - despite the allocation of funds for the BLE... Anyone know?

That's interesting since they are supposedly planning to relocate the AC&W out of downtown Noda. Those gates are expensive, and with so few trains passing through it seems like a waste of money if they are going to remove the tracks.

I'm glad that a real bank is finally opening in Noda, even if it's not a branch of my bank.

I think 36th Street will be grade separated regardless of what happens at Sugar Creek.

That's interesting since they are supposedly planning to relocate the AC&W out of downtown Noda. Those gates are expensive, and with so few trains passing through it seems like a waste of money if they are going to remove the tracks.

I think the gates aren't nearly as expensive when there are flashers already there, since the detection circuits are already in place.

I wonder what they are going to do after the ACWR is gone. Bike path? Turn it into a street (Probably a North Brevard extension to 36th?) Maybe just sell off the part between Davidson and 36th?

I think the gates aren't nearly as expensive when there are flashers already there, since the detection circuits are already in place.

I wonder what they are going to do after the ACWR is gone. Bike path? Turn it into a street (Probably a North Brevard extension to 36th?) Maybe just sell off the part between Davidson and 36th?

I've never seen a train on those tracks, are they ever used at all?

I've never seen a train on those tracks, are they ever used at all?

They are used. In the beginning of the summer I saw about 2 trains a week (all pass in the early afternoon). But I haven't seen one in about a month now...

There is building momentum for a bikeway. We have a very creative grassroots vision committee who is concerning ourselves with this and many other things. We've been working for about a year now - and it's getting to the point where we can show off some of our ideas....

Southwest of 36th, I agree that an extension of Brevard following the former AC&W RR right-of-way would help support TOD, especially the densest infill expected between Highland Mill and the BLE station.

However, I also think northeast of 36th could use some added connectivity as well, especially between 37th and Anderson. As it is now, there is no through-street within this superblock also bounded by Davidson and Spencer. If nothing else, Herrin should be made back into a full street connection. But why couldn't trail-users travel along a local street for a few blocks?

I see a counter-productive trail-vs-street battle brewing. But I'd argue that a well-designed street with built-in traffic calming can also serve recreational cyclists and walkers. Besides, greenways can be indenfensible spaces, especially former rail corridors on the backside of development. In other words, put eyes on the street by actually building a street.

Edited by southslider

I see a counter-productive trail-vs-street battle brewing. But I'd argue that a well-designed street with built-in traffic calming can also serve recreational cyclists and walkers. Besides, greenways can be indenfensible spaces, especially former rail corridors on the backside of development. In other words, put eyes on the street by actually building a street.

I'll add to the debate and offer the impractical suggestion of turning the rail ROW into a blue line spur. Its really hard to justify due to limited densities and the difficulties of the pending grade separation, however the abandoned ROW contiguous to the blue line is hard to resist.

If I really go fantasy land we could run this spur over to the Eastland area and link up with the streetcar terminus to develop an East Charlotte circulator service.

Never gonna happen, but its fun to think about

I think everyone is giving this ROW too much credit.

In the segment from 36th toward Plaza:

-It is arguably wide enough to build a street - and if that happened it would be a pretty narrow and weird street. You would be able to go about 100 feet at a time because of street crossings (which I assume would need stop signs to make them inviting for pedestrians and cars alike).

-NoDa has a decently aligned street grid. A diagonal crossing would make for weird and unusable acute intersection angles.

-Ultimately, NoDa is one of those rare neighborhoods where mobility by foot/bike is easier than car. We have compact walkable blocks. I will say that I live my life in NoDa almost entirely without a car. Many of my neighbors are the same way. So building MORE roads in NoDa seems unnecessary. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for connectivity, but I would rarely drive from one end of NoDa to the other - I would much rather have a long, neighborhood-connecting pedestrian way.

In the segment from Mallory (Brevard) to 36th:

-I certainly foresee new roads and connections. But a road running parallel to N. Davidson St. is much less necessary than extensions of 33rd, 34th, 35th ACROSS the A&WCC. As it is, Yadkin experiences some bad cut-through traffic (people looking to skip those pesky pedestrians on Davidson St!) And building another parallel connection from Mallory to 36th would do the same as College does for Tryon. Plus, with the grade separation project at 36th - the point at which the "A&WCC Street" would cross 36th would make a very treacherous intersection for cars and people heading to/from the LYNX.

But because there is no parallel to Davidson behind Fat City, future TOD similar to Fat City will also be dumping their cars on NoDa's main street. Large industrial blocks of South End and New Bern have seen new narrow streets introduced to improve their grids.

In NoDa, an extension of Brevard to 36th would help. Highland Mill already has a private street behind it. Just extend that to 36th.

Farther from the station, I admit that a completely new street is less essential. But if nothing else, Herrin should be re-connected fully as a street once the AC&W is relocated. As it is now, Renaissance residents have to walk around a superblock to reach their neighborhood park.

But because there is no parallel to Davidson behind Fat City, future TOD similar to Fat City will also be dumping their cars on NoDa's main street. Large industrial blocks of South End and New Bern have seen new narrow streets introduced to improve their grids.

In NoDa, an extension of Brevard to 36th would help. Highland Mill already has a private street behind it. Just extend that to 36th.

Farther from the station, I admit that a completely new street is less essential. But if nothing else, Herrin should be re-connected fully as a street once the AC&W is relocated. As it is now, Renaissance residents have to walk around a superblock to reach their neighborhood park.

I agree that Herrin should be reopened (although to clarify: you can still walk under the A&WCC to get to N. Charlotte Park). I'd actually suggest other similar connections if the A&WCC is decommissioned: extending Sweetbriar & Essex to connect to Atmore.

I still don't see a full extension of Brevard to 36th working. Mainly because there is no good way to connect it to 36th because of the grade separation. But certainly an extension of Brevard at least to behind Cabo is would be needed.

^If Mecklenburg Mill already has and will continue to have a driveway on 36th, despite the planned station and grade-separation, then a minor side street, such as an extended Brevard, should be able to have a T-intersection.

Besides, I think the grade-separation is being designed with the option for the AC&W to remain (CATS can't trust whether CRISP will be fully implemented). As such, a future Brevard intersection on 36th would just follow current grades at that location. The Mecklenburg driveway is a little past that match point, meaning it will have to slope down more to meet a lower 36th diving down to go under the BLE and NCRR.

And it would be a fairly perpendicular T-intersection, since the AC&W is more at angle only northeast of 36th, where a street is less likely. Southwest of 36th, the AC&W runs more parallel to Davidson, creating fairly rectangular blocks if a Brevard Street extension were to take its place on this section of the current AC&W.

And if you extend 35th Street without also extending Brevard, the dense development on such street will just send its cars right back to Davidson, similar to the parking deck going into the Fat City project. If the new Brevard were designed similar to 35th or even just the private street behind Highland Mill, then it wouldn't be an attractive cut-through. Such an "alley-like" street would serve cars coming and going to/from development within these blocks, plus provide a better location for loading zones, deliveries, driveways and parking deck entrances than main-street-functioning North Davidson.