NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

It looks like they increased the size since the older Urbana design posted above. That doesn't seem to match the 5-story building plans shown in the rezoning siteplan.

That thing is going to seem huge compared to the other buildings around there. The southernmost condo will have a killer view of the city.

I'm making a rundown map for NoDa in my spare time today, and I was poking around Urbana's site, and noticed siteplans for Herrin Towers. I think I had seen them a while ago, but I had forgotten where they were.

http://www.urbana-architecture.com/PRO-HerrinTowers.html

It is such a cool project. I hope they have success and begin soon. It is also HUGE.

You really see the impact that some of those huge projects will have on NoDa and Optimist Park. Projects like the Indermodal Yards relocation to the airport will make a significant difference to Brevard Street. It will provide a significant amount of land for TOD around the Northeast LRT line due in 5-7 years.

In NoDa, Herrin Towers, The Rennaissance, and Highland Mill are adding significant numbers of residential units in a dense pattern. There is also a lot of land in NoDa to add TOD around the LRT stations.

Maybe park and rec can eventually extended Little Sugar Creek greenway across the railroad yard and extend it past Tryon to Derita Street Park and Sugaw Creek Park.

The corridor that seems to be lacking redevelopment is The Plaza. Hopefully, NoDa's success will start to bring new retail redevelopment along The Plaza.

The bunglalows and cottages along the section of Plaza closer to town, could possibly generate some interest in restoring and preserving. Plaza isn't too bad until you pass 36th street. Around there and beyond the PET plant it gets much more dilapidated.

I think part of the problem is that it's a busy street and these are small 2 br 1 homes with short setbacks from it. Basically, only rental owners would be interested in them, and they rent to the very poor and desperate. I've seen these houses sell in the 50K-ish range with rents around $350 a month.

Edited by MZT

Hey Dubone, I really like your rundown maps. Very cool. I think you have the rail corridors on the wrong alignments, however.

• Somewhere along the northeast LRT between the I-277 and 16th street, probably around Belmont Avenue, the NE LRT will switch from the railroad right-of-way to Brevard Street.
  • Somewhere around 30th street, the LRT (as proposed) will switch back from Brevard Street to the railroad alignment.
  • North of 36th street, both the Light Rail and the Southeast High Speed Rail will be on the alignment labeled Northeast LRT.
  • The corridor you have labeled as SEHSR north of 36th street is not planned for anything transit-related. That is Norfolk-Southern rail to Oakboro and Norwood.

I have been in support of the NE line switching to Brevard Street, I even sent a message to CATS with idea when they were still planning to use the rail corridor all the way to NoDa. But I haven't seen any change that says they will do that. In fact, the public meeting notes from only 1 month ago indicate that they will use the rail alignment to 36th St.

I'll correct the other part. Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: From reviewing all the presentations online about the NE LRT, it does appear that they will run the LRT tracks on the eastern edge of the current intermodal yards, along Brevard. Although they won't use Brevard itself. I'll make the appropriate changes.

Check page 14 of this presentation from June. It clearly shows the NE corridor running between right next to Brevard Street. It's not a median alignment, but then again, I think that's better from both an operational and safety standpoint.

It makes no sense to stick with the railroad alignment. The light rail would have to thread the needle between the intermodal yard and the regular switching yard. That would interfere with yard options unless they built a massively expensive flyover, and it would completely isolate the light rail line from developable land until the intermodal yard is relocated. I don't believe that the entire northeast corridor plan is contingent on relocating the yard, either.

Yeah, I noticed that before you posted. It makes perfect sense, but I guess I missed that, as some of their diagrams just have them using the main rail alignment.

Thanks.

In my updated map, I have it reconnecting just before 36th. I think there are still some other alternatives lingering out there, but that seemed the most likely alignment for this portion north of 36th.

That seems like the most accurate and current route for the NELRT, the other alternative was that the line uses Norfolk Southern and continue sas it crosses Davidson Street then crosses over Davidson again and NCRR over elevated structures to North Tryon. That was solved by letting NELRT run along NCRR to Sugar Creek then run in the parking of Asian Corner Mall heading towards North Tryon or let it continue to run along NCRR and run behind NorthPark Shopping Center and then put a station at North Tryon and Old Concord.

This is from 09/2005 one of the most recent alignment.

post-36-1137381318_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I know I talked about this house on another thread but I'll post the picture here. I love this house as I think it really shows what you can do with a mill house. You can be so creative while still preserving the historic feel of the home. There are some great historic homes in that neighborhood which should be strait out renovated and not screwed with too much, but in the case with these mill houses where there are 20 identical houses next to one another it would be great to see people really explore what can be creatively done with them.

DSCN0477.jpg

I know I talked about this house on another thread but I'll post the picture here. I love this house as I think it really shows what you can do with a mill house. You can be so creative while still preserving the historic feel of the home. There are some great historic homes in that neighborhood which should be strait out renovated and not screwed with too much, but in the case with these mill houses where there are 20 identical houses next to one another it would be great to see people really explore what can be creatively done with them.

I love this house. It was on the market about a year ago and I was so tempted. The Observer did a piece on it in Aug. 2004. (PLUM PURPLE OUTSIDE - SHELLEY AND BOBBY WORKMAN'S HOME IN NODA IS, TO PUT IT MILDLY, UNUSUAL PLUMB DIFFERENT INSIDE)

The couple was very creative. Urbana helped out. They put a swing in the kitchen. Their tub is on the second floor overlooking the first floor. There are 45 windows. A lot of the materials were salvaged to keep control costs.

I drove by the other day and Wesley Corners and Noda18 are both very far along. They are putting facade touches on Noda18. It is an interesting looking project. They use corrugated metal in a unique way.

Noda18 appears to be very close to being finished. They held an open house last weekend, which did not appear to be too successful. The final color choices for the building have not been popular (orange, grey, black, brick). I'm guessing they were trying to be different when they changed from the original tan/white color scheme. Also, Wesley Corner has been completed and fully rented out for around 9 months!

It looks like the front stoop is level with the sidewalk. Maybe they could do the cafe thing and put some chairs on the sidewalk.

I agree, though, in general. For some reason, "modern" architecture seems to mean "no porch". Furman's stuff, and other modern-designed residential project, also seem to lack porches.

BTW, did anyone else see the Impala that drove into Noda18's corner unit? The car went all the way through the window and the trunk was even with the window frame!

Oh, is that what happened? I'm actually glad to hear it was a wreck because I thought they boarded it because of vandals.

Oh, is that what happened? I'm actually glad to hear it was a wreck because I thought they boarded it because of vandals.

I feel bad for whoever movess into that unit. The window has been broken at least 3 times. I think it's just too close to the intersection of Wesley and 36th. I know I'd rather be further from the road in height and depth!

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/13875071.htm

The building permit was approved for Phase III of Highland Mill. I think that might be the final phase, but I'm not sure.

The Highland Mill renovation has had a tremendous impact on NoDa. As the population of the neighborhood increases from this and the other projects in the area, hopefully it will mean that the business district revives even more.

It was reported on another thread that Mellow Mushroom might shut down.