NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

38 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

*I used to consider Revo a standout, but they just haven't been the same since they changed management.

I agree, what happened to that place? Used to be easily my favorite pizza in town and one of the more interesting beer lists. I guess the beer selection is no worse, we just have way more great options now, but the pizza and topping options have gone downhill, and service is unenthusiastic to say the least. Used to be my favorite trivia night too, do they still do it?

I think with the handful of new restaurants coming, the selection will feel a lot more appropriate. I've been to Davidson Public House twice and enjoyed it. It's basically a gastropub concept, but not on the extremely fancy end, just better than your average bar food for a few dollars more. I know Miyagi's wasn't well-liked (my one meal there was fine though), but I really liked the concept and think an izakaya or asian street food place would be welcome in NoDa if executed better.

Edited by nonillogical

On 1/26/2016 at 10:02 AM, Niner National said:

It's a lot of bar food. Not many solid dining options honestly. Maybe Davidson Street Public House is, I haven't been yet, but I almost never eat in NoDa.

Look at Plaza Midwood in comparison. You have Zada Janes, Peculiar Rabbit, Bistro La Bon, Yama Izakaya, Fern, Intermezzo, Akahana, and Soul. On the lower end, you have The Diamond, Whiskey Warehouse, Pint Central, and Thomas Street Tavern.

In NoDa, you basically have Heist and Cabo. There aren't any other places in that neighborhood that draw people from all over the city to dine there, and I'm not even sure Heist really does that except for during brunch.

NoDa's overall dining scene is very poor.

Yeah.  My point, as others suggested, is that NoDa is mostly just bar food.  As a resident, I'm excited for some new places to open that are more focused on the food than alcohol.  We'll need more of this as residents move in, but it will take a long time to reach the level of PM.  Even the flawed Miyagi's is missed.

Heist, Crepe Cellar, Cabo, Davidson PH, all seem like it is quality food even if they double as pubs.  

It seems to have many factors in place, especially with new higher density rooftops to have some restaurants spring up.   I just hope that the development in the Optimist Park / NoDa section around Parkwood and 25th St stations do not skip the opportunities to have ground floor retail for restaurants.  That seems the main place for those to go. 

The development on the south side of 25th St (bounded by 25th, 24th, Brevard, and the creek) will have at least 2 spaces designated flex retail/office/residential. That's a good start. The Parkwood development is being pressured for retail. Space that can be non-residential is the paramount long-term need. Though it will be interesting to see where else it goes, since N Davidson, from Parkwood to Matheson, is the designated commercial corridor.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Regardless, yay for something on the other side of the mega-block created by Renaissance and Steel Gardens!

I heard about this a couple weeks back and immediately thought that it wouldn't be all that hard to connect this to steel gardens.

Is the general consensus here that a loft style boutique hotel in NoDa would draw enough guests to be successful?  Assuming it is more competitively priced than Uptown product, industrial feel, possibly pet friendly.  I'm not sure it would be the first place my friends recommend someone from out of town stay, but it is really hard to measure who is staying in the hotels here and why.  I think it would be way more attractive for people coming for UNCC related visits to stay in NoDa and use the rail, but again, not sure if people from out of town would see it the same.

2 hours ago, nofthewall said:

Is the general consensus here that a loft style boutique hotel in NoDa would draw enough guests to be successful?  Assuming it is more competitively priced than Uptown product, industrial feel, possibly pet friendly.  I'm not sure it would be the first place my friends recommend someone from out of town stay, but it is really hard to measure who is staying in the hotels here and why.  I think it would be way more attractive for people coming for UNCC related visits to stay in NoDa and use the rail, but again, not sure if people from out of town would see it the same.

Charlotte doesn't have a hostel yet.  But if we get one, NoDa is the prime candidate after the light rail is in place.

1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

Charlotte doesn't have a hostel yet.  But if we get one, NoDa is the prime candidate after the light rail is in place.

A year or two ago I met with the owner of Area 15 and a rep for some hostel organization in the hopes they could make these old abandoned row houses into a hostel. I haven't checked in with them, I'm not sure the progress, but... that'd be awesome.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

A year or two ago I met with the owner of Area 15 and a rep for some hostel organization in the hopes they could make these old abandoned row houses into a hostel. I haven't checked in with them, I'm not sure the progress, but... that'd be awesome.

I could see that working. A new construction hostel would be difficult to pull off here. Any non-branded boutique would be tough actually. Maybe a soft branded or lifestyle branded property with some smaller rooms that could serve the hostel purpose, and some larger rooms for a more "traditional" room for someone staying in town for a while. The Hotel Indigo Athens GA or any of the 21c Museum locations are decent examples of what we don't have yet but could push the boundaries a little, and price lower than the Bohemian or Kimpton types. 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 8:35 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

^ I can't believe those rowhomes are still standing.  They have been vacant for at least 11 years now.

I actually spoke with the attorney representing the family that owns these about buying another property they own in Sedgefield, it also has to be torn down. They own alot of property all over town in Sedgefield, Noda, Villa Heights, Myers Park etc and it all needs to be torn down! They are selling the single family homes around town currently. He said they have had an offer of $1.2Million for the property you are speaking about in Area 15, I believe there are a few single family homes they own next door as well.   I have no idea who made the  offer I just know it was for $1.2 million. The problem with this property is they will not be able to sell till the grandmother passes away for capital gains reasons. So it might be 1 year or 10years, I do not know how old she is but they did have to put her in a nursing home recently. 

7 minutes ago, QClifer said:

He said they have had an offer of $1.2Million for the property you are speaking about in Area 15, I believe there are a few single family homes they own next door as well.   I have no idea who made the  offer I just know it was for $1.2 million. The problem with this property is they will not be able to sell till the grandmother passes away for capital gains reasons. So it might be 1 year or 10years, I do not know how old she is but they did have to put her in a nursing home recently. 

Very interesting, thanks. That's wild.

I spoke with Adam Spears, owner of The Local Loaf and he indicated to me that I can pass the word that he has signed a letter of intent to take the space vacated by Bodega on 35 street.  Still some zoning issues to iron out, but Adam is on his way!

• Like 1