NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

The current NoDa Grocery at FatCity is little more than a convenience store with some vegetables.  There was a "farmers market" in the free range site a few years ago that always was missing half the produce with the other half already going/gone bad.  The current farmers market held in NT or that empty lot has always been pretty sad in terms of the turn out, but pretty focused on high-end products.

Maybe NoDa just isn't as into that stuff as its residents pretend to be.  Not a lot of great offerings though.

The purported aversion to chain brands was always a little odd to me since Cabo and Boudreaux are just transplants from Blacksburg.  Now Sabor is there too.  Sure would rather have Mellow Mushroom in Revolution's spot again

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Desert Power said:

More important to shift the paradigm away from having a car-focused grocer.  Having one at Cresent will do that and be sustainable with the light rail coming.  Both Jordan and Parkwood would be dependent on car traffic for the foreseeable future.

Publix also has some smaller stores designs about the size of TJ's that could make sense.

More important to you, not to the grocer. Just like architecture, materials and street presence are important, but not to the developer. 

13 hours ago, Desert Power said:

The purported aversion to chain brands was always a little odd to me since Cabo and Boudreaux are just transplants from Blacksburg.  Now Sabor is there too.  Sure would rather have Mellow Mushroom in Revolution's spot again

I had no idea those weren't originals! I love Revolution though; even if its not quite as good as it once was, its still my go-to pizza and a beer spot. 

On 4/28/2016 at 6:34 PM, Desert Power said:

The purported aversion to chain brands was always a little odd to me since Cabo and Boudreaux are just transplants from Blacksburg.

http://www.cabofishtaco.com/about.html

"It was in her last year at Tech when she met Rob on a beach trip to Charleston, South Carolina. They had only dated a few months when Rob decided to move to Charlotte to open Cabo."

27 minutes ago, UrbanGossip said:

Here it is on Charlotte Planning site FYI.  It includes the connection through the Herrin properties along the creek and out to 36th.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2016Petitions/Pages/2016-079.aspx

I wish someone other than Fly Wheel and Tony Kuhn were spearheading this. The guy has great vision and passion, but I think he gets in his own way. He's high maintenance and a bit arrogant as a business person. I personally think his attitude killed the Crescent Bid on Craighead, well that and crappy soil. Will be interesting to see how this goes. 

The fact of the matter is Noda has to expand across the tracks, theres no question about it, its sort of choked off from N. Tryon by the lack of connectivity, just like South End is with South Tryon. Hope to see both sides of the Lightrail thrive with active development.

• 3 weeks later...

While I was getting my late afternoon taco fix at Sabor I watched Jayvee investigate the new sign and storefront on N Davidson -- sign said Mangoes (IRRC). This property:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2467557,-80.8061835,3a,75y,121.72h,86.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWFmQS64yV6tf-bBFlomedQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I am glad he will dig for the details so I don't have to. Thanks!

#metapost

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, kermit said:

While I was getting my late afternoon taco fix at Sabor I watched Jayvee investigate the new sign and storefront on N Davidson -- sign said Mangoes (IRRC). This property:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2467557,-80.8061835,3a,75y,121.72h,86.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWFmQS64yV6tf-bBFlomedQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Man by the name of Ray the Chef, he and his partners moved from NY to open the restaurant. They've been working hard on it themselves for over a year now. GOD I hope they stay solvent!

29 minutes ago, kermit said:

LOLLLL. Apparently theyve been at it over 2 years. They keep running out of money but this is the first time they've put up a sign. Everyone in the area is skeptical they'll open, let alone stay open. I hope they do though. I think the area could use good Caribbean food 

Edited by Jayvee

57 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Man by the name of Ray the Chef, he and his partners moved from NY to open the restaurant. They've been working hard on it themselves for over a year now. GOD I hope they stay solvent!

Haven't there been 2 other Caribbean restaurants in the Crepe Cellar Space? Addies was quite excellent, but failed. there was another... don't remember the name, failed. I'm also not in love with the name "MANGOS" it sounds like somewhere I'd eat at Sandals Resort in the least authentic, least genuine kind of way. I understand every neighborhood needs its go to spot, where you can get cheap, quick, delicious ethnic food. I just don't get a great vibe from "MANGOS." 

Edited by Guest

The first two partners (one the floor manager, one the chef) are from the Caribbean. Their investor is Korean (she'd like to do some fusion eventually, lol). They all moved from NY together, so I'd like to think they soaked up some good food vibes. But who knows. I'm hopeful. Good guys.

That damn building had to be gutted to the bones. I can't believe they took it on in the first place.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

• 2 weeks later...

One more. I just discovered that FūD at Salud does brunch, and they have waffles that will blow your mind. Apparently they only recently perfected their waffle recipe and are hoping for more publicity for their updated menu (not just sandwiches anymore!).

This is the anti-yuppie (but of course still hipster) brunch.

Their Sunday waffle specials are almost always savory, and they have their sweet waffles available every day. And they always have some beer, or beer-based mixed beverage to go with brunch. Today's was the Ale-rish Coffee: coffee stout, coffee, house-made Irish cream.

20160612_144429.png

20160612_143852.jpg

20160612_144908.png

20160612_151200.png

Edited by SgtCampsalot

The animal hospital at Highland Mill failed to provide notice for an intent to renew, so the LL is terminating her lease and giving the space to Heist. . 

Media is trying to spin it that she is being "forced out" and there are not enough eyeroll emojis in the world for how that makes me feel. Sounds like she had clearly defined requirements in her lease, which she failed to exercise. 

From Facebook:   Attorney. NAH Family: I need to go ahead and let everyone know my predicament. My contract is up on the last day of July. What I didn't realize is that I was to have informed the Landlords in writing 180 days prior to 8/1/2016. They notified me in May that they have plans for the space. My attorney is going to see if they will work with me, but I know my space is in high demand. If I cannot move, I will have to close my doors. I doubt at this time I can get another loan to build out somewhere else. My livihood is now compromised. I will keep you all informed.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/55731/noda-animal-hospital-forced-leave-neighborhood/

4 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Seems like a huge win for heist (at the detriment of the animal hospital). Heist wanted to expand but has no room to do so, now they will.

i hope she can find space elsewhere in noda. That's a great "community service" kind of business the area needs to have. 

I've reached out personally with recommendations for great tenant rep brokers in the area to help her find an appropriate space (and prevent things like this from happening in the future). Seems like well-meaning Plaza Midwood/NoDa facebook vigilantes would rather try and help themselves.   :rolleyes: 

I mean, it's not outside the realm of possibility for her to find a sympathetic landlord who might extend a few TI dollars. But what do I know...

Really is too bad.  It's businesses like this that truly make a neighborhood.  Without them, it's just an entertainment district.

That said, a good service provider is not necessarily a good business person.  Sounds like she dropped the ball and the LL is just making the smart business decision.

56 minutes ago, UrbanGossip said:

Really is too bad.  It's businesses like this that truly make a neighborhood.  Without them, it's just an entertainment district.

That said, a good service provider is not necessarily a good business person.  Sounds like she dropped the ball and the LL is just making the smart business decision.

She definitely dropped the ball. I think it would have been a nice gesture for the landlord to call her and let her know he needed an answer about whether she was planning to stay, but he certainly has no obligation to do that.

Hopefully she lands on her feet. Opening a clinic is crazy expensive, so unless she has a high tolerance for debt, she's probably going to have to go work for someone else unless an existing clinic space is found.

5 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Also surprised that Heist is doing so well as to expand.  I have always found their beer and food very disappointing.

They get the VIBE that people want right. I agree their food and beer has never been anything to write home about for me, but they have the right kind of hipster pretense and, honestly, their interior is the most beautiful space in the neighborhood. 

2 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Also surprised that Heist is doing so well as to expand.  I have always found their beer and food very disappointing.

I would highly recommend trying their beer again. They are absolutely killing it right now. Especially with their New England style IPAs. They've temporarily cut off crowlers because they couldn't keep up with demand.

• Like 1