NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Trammel Crow out of Atlanta is going to be developing Alexan Highland Mill. I'd imagine It'll be renamed Alexan at Tompkins Hall. It'll be 250 units, 5 floors, wrapped parking deck, with 0 retail, which is very unfortunate. They also developed a apartment building in conjunction with Krog Hall in Atlanta, done by Whitestone's affiliate Paces Properties. That project also didn't have retail, I guess the idea is for it to feed off the Food Hall. Guess we will see how this goes... 

32 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Trammel Crow out of Atlanta is going to be developing Alexan Highland Mill. I'd imagine It'll be renamed Alexan at Tompkins Hall. It'll be 250 units, 5 floors, wrapped parking deck, with 0 retail, which is very unfortunate. They also developed a apartment building in conjunction with Krog Hall in Atlanta, done by Whitestone's affiliate Paces Properties. That project also didn't have retail, I guess the idea is for it to feed off the Food Hall. Guess we will see how this goes... 

I don't think 0 retail is too bad when, as you've stated, it's next door to a giant food hall/retail facility. I understanding wanting to have a whole corridor where you can walk around going from place to place with retail but given Thompkins Hall and it's massive scale, that will be a huge destination in of itself. Might be tough for other retail to prosper in its immediate area.  

47 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Where is this located?

3 hours ago, JoshuaDrown said:

I believe its roughly bounded by N Brevard St/Parkwood Avenue, and E 16th St in Optimist Park.

Oh? Then this is the project that I was told by the developer at a public rezoning meeting one month ago would be parking for Highland Park mill. This means they lied to my face when I asked them if they were considering apartments with this TOD petition. So this begs the question: why lie?

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Oh? Then this is the project that I was told by the developer at a public rezoning meeting one month ago would be parking for Highland Park mill. This means they lied to my face when I asked them if they were considering apartments with this TOD petition. So this begs the question: why lie?

Actually no. It's between 13th and Belmont Ave fronting Caldwell and brevard. Nice gap bridged between alpha mill and optimist park

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Besides the NoDa Street Market project, has any other developer expressed interest in developing on the eastern fringes of NoDa (N. Davidson from Craighead to Sugar Creek)? The area has several empty lots, not to mention several buildings that could be reused for new development. Seems odd that there doesn't seem to be anything planned there, especially since the Sugar Creek Station is just a few steps away.

1 hour ago, Third Strike said:

Besides the NoDa Street Market project, has any other developer expressed interest in developing on the eastern fringes of NoDa (N. Davidson from Craighead to Sugar Creek)? The area has several empty lots, not to mention several buildings that could be reused for new development. Seems odd that there doesn't seem to be anything planned there, especially since the Sugar Creek Station is just a few steps away.

My guess for the lag is twofold: Since South End has already established itself as Charlotte's very first "sure thing" TOD market, it may take a little longer; if every new infill project makes the next one more lucrative and ensured, then South End will only continue its preeminent representation in the market.
Plus, there's just so much damn space between 36th St and Uptown that it all may fill in before we see NoDa's "warehouse district" get more infill.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

There's no thread for this stretch of N Tryon between Sugar Creek Rd and Eastway Dr, so it's going in the NoDa thread, bruh:

Affordable apartments and townhomes are being built, mostly reserved for seniors.

Address is: 120 Bingham Dr. (I can't tell which side of that street it's on... can anyone tell?)

Project includes:

▪ 60 units of multifamily housing, in a three-story building, reserved for people 55 and older. The apartments would be rented to people with 60 percent or less of the area’s median income.

▪ Five townhouses, which would not be age-restricted.

Only real bummer to me is that it's literally directly in between the Sugar Creek and Old Concord BLE stations, way too far to be TOD, especially for seniors. But, beggars can't be choosers since Habitat for Humanity Charlotte is who sold them the land. Better than nothing.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

RDF....I'm having trouble placing that pedestrian bridge. We know that the 36th St station is elevated and traffic headed towards Tryon from NoDa will go underneath the station. With that said, the 36th St station will be grade separated with LRT and freight bridges, so will residents at Crescent NoDa be walking "over" a passing freight train?

Edited by UPNoDa

• 2 weeks later...

Some shots of Crescent 36th St.

First from the spur tracks next to the tire warehouse and behind Fat City Lofts (you can see the Johnston Mill's office building on the right).

20161227_111220.jpg

Then from inside The Yards at NoDa's parking lot (they still have their private gate up that will connect to Crescent's private street.

20161227_111529.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2