NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Fat City is rumored to be moving back in when complete. It will be mixed use and likely announced pretty soon.

Hmm. haha. KC was recently working at Lupies in Huntersville. Last I heard his involvement with the place was over with but one never knows with him. However, if Fat City returns it will be in name only. It's too high brow over there now.

Noda seems to get a lot of announcements, but many of the projects never get off the ground it seems. Fat City has been closed for at least two years now, and there is still unrented space in the block next to it. The market at this time just doesn't seem to be there.

I agree. I am optimistic about Optimist Park.These projects which I am glad to see include some mixed income variety will benefit the area. But like any condo influx we run the risk of ruining the gritty and unique aspect that attracted people in the first place! That part of Charlotte actually has some soul and I am afraid its going to get totally yuppiefied.

In NoDa the new condo complexes seem to be sprouting up on the main corridors. I think as long as they stay there and don't begin to move into the single family home streets the neighborhood won't change significantly but the main arterials will have the amenties and multi-family that a lot of the market seems to want.

I was under the impression that he sold his interest in the property so there probably isn't anything for him to change his mind about.

He did sell his interest, but the developer still says Fat City, at least A Fat City, will reopen there -- nothing certain though. As for KC, I he doesn't change his mind, he just tells whatever audience he has whatever they want to hear.

The plans for a project there are definite, timing just isn't. Mixed use, restaurant space, and finally some lofts/condos that are larger than 700 SF and actually have some space!

It appears that bland gentrification is in full force in NoDa due to the effort by residents there to close the areas only Gay Bar, Chasers. Chasers is located on The Plaza and not in NoDa, in an indescript building that does not bother anyone. It should be noted that bar has been there longer than most Noda residents.

Kellys is gone, Fat City is gone, Mellow Mushroom is closing, and no doubt others will fall by the wayside.

^^^What are the NoDa residents doing? Was this an article in the paper, how did you find out about it?

I have not been to NoDa in a looong time, but everyone says it is really losing its character. It used to have that central ave/Thomas st. gritty feel to it. No more I guess. You would think there would be a demand for gay bars since all of these places are closing down. Maybe they can relocate to more accepting area's, its still a shame though.

^^^What are the NoDa residents doing? Was this an article in the paper, how did you find out about it?

I have not been to NoDa in a looong time, but everyone says it is really losing its character. It used to have that central ave/Thomas st. gritty feel to it. No more I guess. You would think there would be a demand for gay bars since all of these places are closing down. Maybe they can relocate to more accepting area's, its still a shame though.

If Chasers leaves it is a shame -- residents should not colmplain about a feature that was part of the area long before they were. There are a lot of bars and restaurants opening over there (and I never thought the chain Mellow Mushroom was very unique anyway). Most are owner operated and are pretty cool so far.

It is non compliant with an ordinance to separate adult businesses from single family homes. That stretch of The Plaza is in dire need of improvement. It seems to me that Chasers is allowed to stay if they switch to a bar and not a strip club. I actually might be unique in saying this, but I don't like the part of the ordinance that restricts being near other adult businesses. I think the city should just have a well policed red light district. But not near a residential section.

Hmmm...that's a tough call to me. Even Amsterdam's Red Light district, which has lots of pedestrian traffic, is a relatively high-crime area. Lots of people looking to satisfy their vices, lots of alcohol, and lots of people carrying cash make for easy preying.

I'm not sure what the answer is, because they don't need to be in neighborhoods either.

Of course staples in the neighborhood like the Neighborhood Theatre, Evening Muse, Boudreaux's, and Cabo Fish Taco seem to be going strong. New places like Gilda, Solstice Tavern, Addie's Jamaican, and that new French bakery are opening as well. Mellow Mushroom isn't unique and is almost always the last place I choose to go when in NoDa since the other restaurants in NoDa offer better food at more than reasonable prices.

As far as retail, the neighborhood (while always weak in this regard) is slowly improving one store at a time with new offerings like Rat's Nest to compliment other neighborhood staples like Sunshine Daydreams and Sophie's. So I'm not willing to be too pessimistic about the neighborhood.

Edited by appatone

Hmmm...that's a tough call to me. Even Amsterdam's Red Light district, which has lots of pedestrian traffic, is a relatively high-crime area. Lots of people looking to satisfy their vices, lots of alcohol, and lots of people carrying cash make for easy preying.

I'm not sure what the answer is, because they don't need to be in neighborhoods either.

So should we close down every neighborhood bar in Charlotte for those reasons?

The guys dancing in Chaser's do not show anything that can't be seen on any beach in NC as being shirtless and male in NC is not considered obscene or adult. (they don't show anything else because they would lose their alcohol license) The "adult" label is bein unfairly applied to that place to close it down even though there is no prostitution, no drugs, and for that matter no other crime that I know of related to that place. Gay men are not normally involved in high crime activity. All clubs in NC can be considered adult as you have to be 21 to get in because of alcohol laws.

There are several other very similar clubs on that stretch that no one is trying to close, but of course they don't cater to Gay clientale.

Well my point was more against creating a Red Light district than closing Chasers. Concentrations of places that typically attract people carrying lots of cash always attract people who look for easy targets. My view has nothing to do with the amount of skin shown or sexual orientation.....equally, I don't want a pawn shop, check-cashing location, or discount beverage store located within the confines of a neighborhood, and certainly not clustered.

Also, if any place generates an abnormally high number of police calls per type of business it is, then it needs to be penalized and eventually shut down if it doesn't improve. If Chaser's doesn't generate any more police calls than the city-wide average for bars of its size then I say leave it be.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/14266013.htm

Check out this project. We discussed it earlier in this thread during the rezoning process, but now they have a website and will sell next month. I think they look great and will really start to add population south of Matheson.

http://www.28throw.com/

12' celings? That seems really cool!

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/14266013.htm

Check out this project. We discussed it earlier in this thread during the rezoning process, but now they have a website and will sell next month. I think they look great and will really start to add population south of Matheson.

http://www.28throw.com/

12' celings? That seems really cool!

This looks awesome but I fear that the prices are too high for that area as it is now.

Given the prices today, I'd say, yes the price is quite high. But I believe it will sell purely because of the HUGE insert in today's Observer by D.Smith. Now you'll see all these speculators unaware of that particular area because they were so heavily focused in the SouthEnd, Sedgefield, Elizabeth, Uptown, Villa Heights area pouring into that NEXT BIG THING article in NoDA.

I actually drove through that particular area once in a while, and I truly believe it is slowly coming along. Especially on the N.Davidson side, the area is growing quite quickly. Plus, if you look at Charles, 35th, 36th, Yadkin, and N.Alexander Ave. homes in that area, you are going to see just about every other house either being renovated or completely rebuilt. I remember that red tin mill house sold last year for $375k is in that same neighborhood, and there are homes asking for close to $400k in there as well. Who would ever know!

Given the prices today, I'd say, yes the price is quite high. But I believe it will sell purely because of the HUGE insert in today's Observer by D.Smith. Now you'll see all these speculators unaware of that particular area because they were so heavily focused in the SouthEnd, Sedgefield, Elizabeth, Uptown, Villa Heights area pouring into that NEXT BIG THING article in NoDA.

I actually drove through that particular area once in a while, and I truly believe it is slowly coming along. Especially on the N.Davidson side, the area is growing quite quickly. Plus, if you look at Charles, 35th, 36th, Yadkin, and N.Alexander Ave. homes in that area, you are going to see just about every other house either being renovated or completely rebuilt. I remember that red tin mill house sold last year for $375k is in that same neighborhood, and there are homes asking for close to $400k in there as well. Who would ever know!

I hope that you are correct, but when I see a project like Noda18 still has 7 units listed on the MLS and the prices were a lot lower, it was designed by Furman, and I would consider it a better walk to the center of Noda, it makes me concerned about this new project at 28th. I would think something more like what Tuscan has done in Optimist Park, with units in the $130s, would be a better bet. However, I do think the entire stretch of N. Davidson Street will probably develop within the next few years and maybe potential buyers will think about that, but the I think the prices are too high to get a lot of buyers signed on right away.

^^^To your response, you are correct in in that Noda18 is still available, but trust me, when you start seeing more projects coming in that area, it will go fast. The thing I realize with buyers is that many attribute where they purchase their homes with several keys: 1) price, 2) area, 3) amenities, and 4) growth potential. Concerning area, the first thing people think is, "is this area safe?" Where Noda18 is right now, I can see why alot of potential buyers stay away from it, mainly because of the homes/demographics behind there and the notoriety of the proximity of the PLAZA. But when you start seeing another development like 28thRO right in that area, and it's pretty much a done deal that it's going to happen by latter half of this year, you will start seeing buyers come back. That piece in the Observer was done for a reason, and that is to create more exposure to the Noda area so that it could become another Villa Heights mixed in with some historic charm. I do believe that article will move the Noda transformation quicker, and I wouldn't be surprised that within the next several months, you'd probably see alot of speculators and home buyers start looking into that area as possibly residences to be closer to Uptown and avoid huge traffic problems.

Truthfully, the reason why I see all the transformation going around the edge of Uptown, especially from the South up, is because of I-77 and I-485, where during morning and afternoon commute, traffic can basically be deadlocked. I know, for myself, I am near the city because I don't want to be sitting in traffic every day, and I would be willing to pay a higher price to solve a headache, which many are doing now.