NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

On 7/4/2017 at 3:57 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

A trail would be sweet but the way I see it that line is the only ROW that exists for that eastern wing of the region, and we should fight for that by any means necessary when the time comes. 

The ROW doesn't have to be abandoned. Very often railways are reluctant to abandon the ROW even though the line isn't used because it's such a valuable thing (Monopoly understood that) to have this ROW slicing across everything in it's path.  What is often done is called "railbanking" where the rail company allows use of the ROW for a trail but still owns the ROW itself for future use.

I agree that would be prudent given it is such a short section of trail that would serve a limited group.  It would allow future use of the ROW if the time came that it could serve a greater number of people through a mass transit line by leasing or selling it to CATS.  That's likely the way it would have to be done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UrbanGossip said:

The ROW doesn't have to be abandoned. Very often railways are reluctant to abandon the ROW even though the line isn't used because it's such a valuable thing (Monopoly understood that) to have this ROW slicing across everything in it's path.  What is often done is called "railbanking" where the rail company allows use of the ROW for a trail but still owns the ROW itself for future use.

I agree that would be prudent given it is such a short section of trail that would serve a limited group.  It would allow future use of the ROW if the time came that it could serve a greater number of people through a mass transit line by leasing or selling it to CATS.  That's likely the way it would have to be done.

Whoops I meant fight for a commuter train line. But your point stands either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southslider said:

Only about a mile segment would move, a segment way too short for commuter rail.

Right but isn't there plausible theorizing of it being suitable for passenger service in the next ~50-75 years (in terms of the RR company's side, not the municipal side)

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

Just a small reminder of all the cool street art we have here in NoDa...

http://thenomadexperiment.com/charlotte-noda-mural-graffiti-art-free-bbb01/

What in the world is the Basement??

12. The Basement – Mike Wirth & Friends

Check out the Basement in Noda and you’ll get 6-7 doses of different artists lining the walls.(See the video up top for more.) There’s also a pretty sweet barber shop hiding in the back, in case you need to get that wig split or just want to stop in for a game of pool and to chat.

mike_wirth.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, kermit said:

Whats up with Johnston Mill? Did the developer abandon ship after finishing Meck Mill?

I believe that these were done and to be done (Johnston) under the LIHTC program which is a state administered federal tax credit program for affordable housing.  I'm sure there were some historic tax credits in there too.  Both tax-credits rely heavily on commoditization of tax credits to create funds for the development itself.  Corporations buy the tax credits to lessen their tax burden.  It also relies heavily on the bond market.  Things are a mess right now with the program for a variety of reasons, but it all started roughly November of '16 when corporations became hopeful for a big tax break.  It made the tax credits less valuable because they might not be needed as badly.  Less value = less $$ for development.

If I had to venture a guess, that would be the reason for the standstill.

Edited by UrbanGossip
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, UrbanGossip said:

I believe that these were done and to be done (Johnston) under the LIHTC program which is a state administered federal tax credit program for affordable housing.  I'm sure there were some historic tax credits in there too.  Both tax-credits rely heavily on commoditization of tax credits to create funds for the development itself.  Corporations buy the tax credits to lessen their tax burden.  It also relies heavily on the bond market.  Things are a mess right now with the program for a variety of reasons, but it all started roughly November of '16 when corporations became hopeful for a big tax break.  It made the tax credits less valuable because they might not be needed as badly.  Less value = less $$ for development.

If I had to venture a guess, that would be the reason for the standstill.

Does this scenario also apply to the Flywheel project on the opposite side of the BLE or just TCB for historic purposes??

http://www.flywheelgrp.com/projects

Edited by UPNoDa

3 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

Does this scenario also apply to the Flywheel project on the opposite side of the BLE or just TCB for historic purposes??

http://www.flywheelgrp.com/projects

I don't know much about that site, but I don't believe it has any affordable housing using the LIHTC program or Historic Tax Credits.  I think it's all market rate residential and commercial.

Information on the program : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-Income_Housing_Tax_Credit

What is planned in front of NoDa Crescent apartments? 
DSCN3642.thumb.JPG.6a3edc1d6a9a1372f89879a9c25105fd.JPG
DSCN3644.thumb.JPG.7d88015b2b958b5ccc8ef98358ddce29.JPG

23,000 sq feet of retail. Don't think any of the other plans made it, hotel, office, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is a shame. Great place for a fauxtique hotel (aloft, indigo, etc.). 

Not sure the neighborhood has what hoteliers look for. Demographics are middle of the road, connectivity is lousy, it's not on an interstate or highway... can't say I'm too surprised, it's just not enough of a destination yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Not sure the neighborhood has what hoteliers look for. Demographics are middle of the road, connectivity is lousy, it's not on an interstate or highway... can't say I'm too surprised, it's just not enough of a destination yet.

Yea, NoDa's demographics look awful, but that is both an illusion and temporary. There are a growing number of examples of boutuiqish hotels in similar hipster/entertainment neighborhoods with transit access to downtown (and crappy interstate access). Air B&B has also done of pretty good job of highlighting demand in these neighborhoods.

Moonlight Hotel in the Delmar in St Louis.

The Hollandar in Wicker Park in Chicago

Courtyard (ugh, not boutique at all) in Decatur

Proximity in Greensboro

Just about every corner of Portland