NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Not a big chance of that happening especially with all the new development nearby. Plus the location as is serves their response area really well. Because of the new congestion a new firehouse is eventually going to be built up near Tom Hunter and Tryon to maintain current ISO rating. 

Looks amazing.  Far more density that I would have imagined at that spot, and I'm relieved after all that effort to keep those old warehouses that they remain standing in the redevelopment, and factor solar in, too!

It is hard to expect much architectural interest in midrises, but these buildings appear to be varied and somewhat interesting in their façades.

NoDa is the new Southend, and I just hope it retains as much of the legacy culture that it has had in the last 15-20y as possible.

I still think it is was crazy that they crossover ped bridge was not put in to connect to the parking deck to be further south and leverage the elevators of the parking deck, but given that they did put it in a spot to seemingly explicitly support the redevelopment of this parcel, then it was a good that it got such a solid plan and density. 

42 minutes ago, dubone said:

Looks amazing.  Far more density that I would have imagined at that spot, and I'm relieved after all that effort to keep those old warehouses that they remain standing in the redevelopment, and factor solar in, too!

It is hard to expect much architectural interest in midrises, but these buildings appear to be varied and somewhat interesting in their façades.

NoDa is the new Southend, and I just hope it retains as much of the legacy culture that it has had in the last 15-20y as possible.

I still think it is was crazy that they crossover ped bridge was not put in to connect to the parking deck to be further south and leverage the elevators of the parking deck, but given that they did put it in a spot to seemingly explicitly support the redevelopment of this parcel, then it was a good that it got such a solid plan and density. 

Your point is taken, but, to me, saying something is like South End has begun to mean that it has lost any discernable identity, and that that point is beyond saving.

I don't feel the N Davidson St corridor will go that same way, although there is always room for surprises.

• Like 2

https://t.co/UkXzXXdnj3
Oh man, I wish this could happen for real. Love the plan. Don‘t really love how they organize the retail, and naming any street “Park Avenue” when one already exists in Charlotte is a little strange. But yea, hope this whole train yard gets redeveloped one day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

https://t.co/UkXzXXdnj3
Oh man, I wish this could happen for real. Love the plan. Don‘t really love how they organize the retail, and naming any street “Park Avenue” when one already exists in Charlotte is a little strange. But yea, hope this whole train yard gets redeveloped one day.

Based on the pictures it looks like you can't trust anyone over 30. Funny.

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I mean, I don't think anybody should trust me, and I'm 32.

I don't trust you to make that judgement that you are untrustworthy, therefore I trust you.  

Love idea of covering rail yards.   The predictable train paths mean you can have the support piers distributed between the tracks and sell the air rights.  I tend to think these types of developments won't happen until the more easily redeveloped land near by is built up and diversified.   But it is an excellent long range goal for the yards to be covered or mostly replaced.   

5 hours ago, elrodvt said:

Based on the pictures it looks like you can't trust anyone over 30. Funny.

I would love to see this happen and give that area a lot of  charm.  I   love  the UNC Charlotte Urban  Institute, and they  would give  better plan than I have seen in a long time.

I am 77 and I an tired of  the  old style of apartment being built around here.   No one has got out of the box yet, they think of the same old crap that they build is great.

Edited by RiverwoodCLT
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Two questions:

1) Can someone remind me one more time what the commercial space situation is for Novel NoDa (long-term)? RDF said this empty patch (in pics  #1-#2) will have one-story retail fronting 36th St. But the ground floor of the primary Novel structure (pics #3-#4) seems to also have commercial space. Are these guys trying to create commercial space behind commercial space...?

2) Anyone have updates on whether Yards @ NoDa will be making their private stub connection to Novel's private street (pic #5) publicly accessible finally?

For history: When the Yards @ NoDa parcel was rezoned pre-recession, that connection was supposed to remain open, at least for ped/bike traffic. But post-recession that detail was ignored and got thru planning no problem.

IMO, it's a necessary bike/ped connection to go from rail trail/Brevard St/Brook's Burgers, behind Highland Mill (in their alley), up thru Yards, then spit out to the side of Novel to get to 36th St station. Otherwise bike/ped traffic is forced onto N Davidson St for a pointless 1/4-mile, then forced to turn left at 36th St with cars to get to the station.

1. The retail will mostly face inward, because of the steep grade change along 36th. Also its not long term, its happening this year. 

image.png.19ded3c42eb7f8f0a7043af373111385.png

2. According to all the construction documents I saw... They should definitely connect.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

1. The retail will mostly face inward, because of the steep grade change along 36th. Also its not long term, its happening this year. 

2. According to all the construction documents I saw... They should definitely connect.

1. The one story commercial structure will act as a placeholder until the market merits a higher intensity infill, yes? 

2. Connection, for sure. I'm curious whether the management/ownership of Yards will allow their gate to be moved to allow public traffic. We shall see.

• Like 1

1. The one story commercial structure will act as a placeholder until the market merits a higher intensity infill, yes? 
2. Connection, for sure. I'm curious whether the management/ownership of Yards will allow their gate to be moved to allow public traffic. We shall see.

I’m don’t imagine that occurs any time soon. It’s going to be a nice solid modern brick building, wish I could show renderings.

Here's a shot of Yards @ NoDa's current gate(s) making it only accessible to residents, and limber pedestrians (pic #1).

Then here's the road stub connecting Yards and Novel (pics #2-4), which goes to the parking deck (left) and to 36th St, and 36th St Station (right).

Now, Yards obviously markets security and privacy as part of their attraction. So it would need to involve them moving their current gates to those open spaces that lead into their side lots, still allowing their residents exclusive access to the larger lots, and most of their units would still have patio privacy. Of course that would cost them money to do. The parallel parking spots could still be reserved for resident use with the use of parking decals (since it is legally a private street).

This, along with allowing ped/bike traffic behind Highland Mill in their alley, is a vital connection that will help people move parallel to the BLE, and get to 36th St station, without having to get on N Davidson St. It would naturally be low auto-traffic enough to be safe. 

TLDR: It would be a shame to miss out on such a useful connection simply because property management wants a certain type of perceived security feature. Especially since the original pre-recession rezoning had this connection publicly accessible in the first place.

20180130_080317.jpg

20180130_080456.jpg

20180130_080517.jpg

20180130_080606.jpg

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, michaelef said:

Noda resident here. I noticed today that the on street parking from Cabo up to Jack Beagals (on both sides of North Davidson) has been turned into Loading only zones. Parking just got a little more hectic in the neighborhood.

Who is spearheading this? That stretch of N Davidson St has always been the nicest to bike on. I'd be concerned this would speed up traffic and negate the whole point of a human-scaled street.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1