NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

31 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

This little strip (next to the strip with NoDa Bodega) is getting reno'd with a cool donut mural.

Now, I am always an advocate for fixing up old buildings, to a fault, but doesn't this whole thing look like a little car dealership?

Next to Bodega? I can't figure out where this is

38 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Next to Bodega? I can't figure out where this is

If you're starting at the Bodega strip from N Davidson, it is to your left (used to have laundromat I believe?

It's even hard to tell on Google because the old building that used to be in between (that housed Sir Joseph's Clothing before the fire) is blurred out

https://goo.gl/maps/nhJdLsF3STp

Screenshot_20181029-160443.png

15 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

If you're starting at the Bodega strip from N Davidson, it is to your left (used to have laundromat I believe?

It's even hard to tell on Google because the old building that used to be in between (that housed Sir Joseph's Clothing before the fire) is blurred out

https://goo.gl/maps/nhJdLsF3STp

Ahhhh I gotcha. They've done an addition, too. 

As for that old house, it is super weird that it is completely blurred out in streetview. I've never seen something like that before

Thanks for the great post. Getting off the train at 36th and seeing this building is saddening. Hopefully the success of Tompkins, will give the developers ideas beyond turning these into housing. If this building was redeveloped in a useful manner, and the space facing 36th was properly activated this could be a next level gateway into NoDa from the Light Rail. Its a shame to see it wasting away.

Thanks, I agree with the Tompkins mill comment. This would completely change NoDa if they could do anything similar to Tompkins.

According to the maintenance guy, the building on 36th already had a guy trying to buy it. It blew his mind because of the collapse and current condition. But he seemed certain that the main mill was about to move ahead with renovation. All in all my take was it's in rough but fixable shape. But what do I know. 

• Like 2

My only concern if Johnston Mill was too-much retail would be the potential limiting of other retail space's marketability around the area as a result. Much like how Optimist Park will likely not see any retail at the base of new developments for a while because of Tompkins. Maybe that's a crazy concern.

Now, a nice mix of Office and/or Residential thrown in with retail would be perfect.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

17 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

A reminder that far beyond my minuscule recollection there are many alive who can recall with detail and intimacy this area, an area which was the engine of our progress for the late 19th century and much of the 20th. They are out there, waiting to speak and to be heard.

This has been a report from our Urban Planet.

The NoDa Wayback Committee writes a lot of great write-ups in the NoDa News of older residents' recollections from decades past. You just have to comb through old issues, unfortunately:

https://noda.org/nodanews-2/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is GREAT! Someone should sprinkle cotton on this sign for authenticity

Trucks at Newco would occasionally back into the dock on 36th which left the front part of the trailer and the cab extending into 36th just over the tracks and cars had to pick a way past the cab and there were no cross arms at the RR crossing (maybe).

To experience some of that history go to Herrin Bros. Coal and ice, still on 36th street. It has survived, somehow, all these years. I drove under the light rail Sunday and was happy to see that it is still there. When I was in Dilworth and had my coal fireplaces I bought my lump coal there. It was also known as farrier coal since a common (still) use is by forgers of horseshoes. 99.x% of coal is now pulverized for the power industry.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

T o experience some of that history go to Herrin Bros. Coal and ice, still on 36th street. It has survived, somehow, all these years. I drove under the light rail Sunday and was happy to see that it is still there. When I was in Dilworth and had my coal fireplaces I bought my lump coal there. It was also known as farrier coal since a common (still) use is by forgers of horseshoes. 99.x% of coal is now pulverized for the power industry.

I love those little ol buildings. They feel so small town-y. It's a shame they will likely be razed for some new full-block project (or even the Philemon extension city project) rather than preserved as some commercial space (I'd be happy with a Thirsty Beaver situation, as impossible as that would be)

IMG_20181101_193113.png

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I love those little ol buildings. They feel so small town-y. It's a shame they will likely be razed for some new full-block project (or even the Philemon extension city project) rather than preserved as some commercial space (I'd be happy with a Thirsty Beaver situation, as impossible as that would be)

It might not be impossible to achieve a Beaver-dream situation, this may be one of the most contaminated sites in Charlotte.

20 some years ago I was there in the office which was (is?) behind the green door.  Mr. Herrin, who would be 100 now, was there. He mentioned the oil burner which heated the space and he proudly said it had been running since 1920-something. (Does their sign say when the business was started)

What coal they have comes by truck now.

• Like 1

I understand the grade change affected the viability of retail lining 36th St, but I still find it a shame that 36th is completely dead between the Asana/Novel street entrance to the bridge. Maybe I'm in the minority but the experience of getting on and off the platform exclusively through a privately owned "street" feels strange, especially with front-in parking lining the sidewalk, making it feel suburban.

Edited by SgtCampsalot