NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

On 1/6/2019 at 2:21 AM, JacksonH said:

And using the other historic name for the area -- Highland Park -- would have also solved the issue of confusion.  You mentioned South End and Uptown.  While I have no problem with those names per se, Charlotte is the only city I know of that has an uptown but no downtown.  It even has a midtown.  I'm not expert on this, but isn't midtown supposed to be between uptown and downtown?  Or maybe South End is now downtown (although I like the name South End).

NoDa was coined by a pioneer, following a standard convention that said 'arts district' to people.    

It's done.   None of us here have coined any neighborhood names because none of us have pioneered a neighborhood.    I agree it would have been better use a better name.    Maybe "Pettycoat Junction" or "Elementary School Seamstress Crossing" or "The Rail Yard".   Maybe someone could have even named it after the historic plantation in the area "Rosedale".    Or maybe they could have named it after their main commercial street and abbreviated it somehow, like "Dave".   Come visit Dave.   No really, I need friends.  :P

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, dubone said:

NoDa was coined by a pioneer, following a standard convention that said 'arts district' to people.    

It's done.   None of us here have coined any neighborhood names because none of us have pioneered a neighborhood.    I agree it would have been better use a better name.    Maybe "Pettycoat Junction" or "Elementary School Seamstress Crossing" or "The Rail Yard".   Maybe someone could have even named it after the historic plantation in the area "Rosedale".    Or maybe they could have named it after their main commercial street and abbreviated it somehow, like "Dave".   Come visit Dave.   No really, I need friends.  :P

So all our hours of group chat mean nothing? :tw_bawling:

Edited by Guest

From 36th platform. 
I’ll try to snap photos of the “front” of these after work. I say front because it faces inward towards the apartments (fair enough) but the street presence along Davidson under the bridge is yet another giant wall devoid of any pedestrian interaction. Woo!
EDBE9E48-7140-4007-8614-958B31730542.thumb.jpeg.7937e8ab028efacf85cc1ceabf275985.jpeg

I mean it’s a retaining wall, do you want windows and doors for the critters that live underground? It’s going to be covered in artwork when all is said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

From 36th platform. 

I’ll try to snap photos of the “front” of these after work. I say front because it faces inward towards the apartments (fair enough) but the street presence along Davidson under the bridge is yet another giant wall devoid of any pedestrian interaction. Woo!

EDBE9E48-7140-4007-8614-958B31730542.jpeg

AKA, the site of Charlotte's 2nd Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream

• Like 3

Well there’s no access to the shops from the street other than the main road entrance that will have heavy car traffic from people coming/going from the apartments parking deck. The back of the shops is just straight up blank as well, which, fine I get it gotta have back of house somehow. Standing on the sidewalk you have 20-30’ of wall+building. But sure paint a mural and call it a day.

I guess it’s most annoying (to me) because there is zero ingenuity in these projects. Hey we can slap a couple square boxes in this little strip of land and laugh all the way to the bank. Fine, so be it. That is the defining thing (again, to me, it’s an opinion and it stinks) that makes so much feel “sterile” this is a straight up mini strip mall squeezed into a somewhat challenging space. It’s got patios out front for people to hang out, again in what is essentially an active parking lot/deck with cars coming and going. I guess young people don’t care but it’s just a lazy design imho. It’s done and built so I’ll stop yelling at the clouds now.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Well there’s no access to the shops from the street other than the main road entrance that will have heavy car traffic from people coming/going from the apartments parking deck. The back of the shops is just straight up blank as well, which, fine I get it gotta have back of house somehow. Standing on the sidewalk you have 20-30’ of wall+building. But sure paint a mural and call it a day.

I guess it’s most annoying (to me) because there is zero ingenuity in these projects. Hey we can slap a couple square boxes in this little strip of land and laugh all the way to the bank. Fine, so be it. That is the defining thing (again, to me, it’s an opinion and it stinks) that makes so much feel “sterile” this is a straight up mini strip mall squeezed into a somewhat challenging space. It’s got patios out front for people to hang out, again in what is essentially an active parking lot/deck with cars coming and going. I guess young people don’t care but it’s just a lazy design imho. It’s done and built so I’ll stop yelling at the clouds now.  

We have seen countless examples across the world of building with the grade change. They could have, but they did not want to.

Hopefully in the nebulous future, when this commercial strip is redeveloped (that's the eventual dream for Crescent, yes?), they raze it and then finally build retail along 36th St. Make it a high-rise to justify the cost, boom.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 7:00 PM, KJHburg said:

New shops at Novel NoDa apartments and new Highland park townhomes by Saussy Burbank. 

IMG_9298.JPG

IMG_9299.JPG

IMG_9300.JPG

IMG_9301.JPG

Can't help but think the retail at 36th Station is a huge missed opportunity.  Probably too expensive to do right, but should have been a small grocery store with retail on top.  I kinda understand nothing fronting 36th Street but it also still hurts.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Can't help but think the retail at 36th Station is a huge missed opportunity.  Probably too expensive to do right, but should have been a small grocery store with retail on top.  I kinda understand nothing fronting 36th Street but it also still hurts.

IMO, between that, and the fact that The Yards and Novel don't allow any public Access to their road connecting to 34th St, this is all just a mess

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, UPNoDa said:
Those SB Townhouses may have out priced themselves for the neighborhood. They start at $499k and reach $575k.  I don't know many folks that can swing that to live in (new millennial/hipster) NoDa.

I’d buy one but NoDa doesn’t have a walkable grocery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Guest

I think they are selling pretty well and not even finished yet, I see 7 under contract right nor priced from 499k-576k,  not sure how many units there are.   I thought 500k was crazy to when they broke ground but I also thought 700k for Villa heights was crazy and now a 830k house in villa heights is listed, so I have no clue.  I guess buy something and dont just sit on the sideline

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I’d bye one but NoDa doesn’t have a walkable grocery

Farmers Market and Food Lion, bruhh :hi::hi::hi:(*That's supposed to be an approximation of a hipster emoji)

Though actually on a related note: But seriously, for a neighborhood that draws so many hipsters and artists, NoDa (and PM, especially) truly have some of the most NIMBY residents I've ever seen. Has anyone here regularly attended neighborhood meetings? It is complete cognitive dissonance from if you just walked around the place every day. I guess it's just a product of affluence?

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

with all the apartments along N Brevard then N Davidson is there any talk or rumors of a grocery store and not a bodega a full sized grocery store in NoDa or nearby?   It seems to be it has reached the critical mass.  

It is an issue of roads/street infrastructure according to past posts, IIRC...? And the area supposedly does not it have sufficiently...?

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Farmers Market and Food Lion, bruhh :hi::hi::hi:(*That's supposed to be an approximation of a hipster emoji)

Though actually on a related note: But seriously, for a neighborhood that draws so many hipsters and artists, NoDa (and PM, especially) truly have some of the most NIMBY residents I've ever seen. Has anyone here regularly attended neighborhood meetings? It is complete cognitive dissonance from if you just walked around the place every day. I guess it's just a product of affluence?

20 min walk to the grocery store ain't good enough haha.

34 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

You would think one could be built at 36th and N Tryon where one was rumored a few years back. 

There was a grocery developer that filed plans for something just on the other side of the light rail, but they never answered my email, and their submission never went passed the PreSubmit phase.

15 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

I was under the impression that Publix was looking at the Chadburn site....were they not?

I never heard that (but that alone doesn't mean it was true). I have heard about several potential grocery stores on the site (not PBX or HT), but none ever made it past the 'geee whiz" stage.

Sites along the tracks are tough for convenience retail -- they all have half the customer access that a "normal" site would have. Boutiquish retail on the other hand could flourish, particularly with better bike access.

30 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

I was under the impression that Publix was looking at the Chadburn site....were they not?

Can you provide more information, so I can talk to the people leasing it? Where did you hear this?

the mill itself is 40,000 sq feet, so its really not all that far fetched, and the parking lot is abnormally big in my opinion.