NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

Given that we can't change anything, I would generally agree with the notion that what they have built, and what is being built on that site today, are probably about as good as we could hope for. That said, we have to acknowledge that it will probably take a while before the area between the station and N Tryon St to develop into anything meaningful, but I hope I'm wrong about this.

Honestly the good news is its only a 1 floor building that was built there. Its not out of the question that it gets demolished 10 years from now when its no longer the highest and best use. Retail is still unproven in this neighborhood and nobody is going to spend millions of extra dollars not knowing whether the neighborhood can yet support it.

15 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Retail is still unproven in this neighborhood and nobody is going to spend millions of extra dollars not knowing whether the neighborhood can yet support it.

It certainly isn't helpful that two of the best locations in NoDa (Revolution and Solstice) are sitting empty and other businesses have struggled in recent years.  There also isn't anymore big residential developments going on in the core of NoDa to bring people there.

• Like 2

Just now, Desert Power said:

It certainly isn't helpful that two of the best locations in NoDa (Revolution and Solstice) are sitting empty and other businesses have struggled in recent years.  There also isn't anymore big residential developments going on in the core of NoDa to bring people there.

Well, both of those have tenants signed. 

In regards to NoDa development, NoDa News had a nice-ish graphic this month.

image.thumb.png.f5ea121d9ca3a46417cc77a9ff35798d.png

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Well, both of those have tenants signed. 

In regards to NoDa development, NoDa News had a nice-ish graphic this month.

Must have missed the Solstice news.  I think the two spaces in Fat City are spoken for too.

That graphic does illustrate what I was talking about. Most of the development is around Craighead/Sugar Creek with only smaller infill townhome projects near 36th and Davidson.  Number 49 on there was pretty well NIMBY'd.  You combine that with how frequently businesses are empty along North Davidson and I get why retail developers are hesitant. 

I really wish the rest of Johnson Mill would be redeveloped.  

1 minute ago, Desert Power said:

Must have missed the Solstice news.  I think the two spaces in Fat City are spoken for too.

That graphic does illustrate what I was talking about. Most of the development is around Craighead/Sugar Creek with only smaller infill townhome projects near 36th and Davidson.  Number 49 on there was pretty well NIMBY'd.  You combine that with how frequently businesses are empty along North Davidson and I get why retail developers are hesitant. 

I really wish the rest of Johnson Mill would be redeveloped.  

Solstice News isn't public yet but I've alluded to it a few times. Something like 204 North is going there.

40 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I'd be surprised if NoDa has any significant retail (other than restaurants) without a substantial population boost. If the area between the tracks and Tryon starts turning over into lots of apartments/condos, then I think it could change.

Bingo. 

Honestly I wish that Crescent's urban town center development across the tracks had come to fruition. It was townhouses, condos, apartments and a row of retail along Craighead. I know they don't have the best track record, but that sounds better than a lot of what Flywheel seems to be planning. NoDa doesn't have the demographics or the population for a large chunk of retail, but like you said, that could change if the space between North Davidson and North Tryon go through a big time change.

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:
Anyone know about this?  Replaces the previous 6 story multi family plan for this site at 35th behind Fat City.
https://www.odell.com/portfolio/the-mic/?portfolioCats=84

I do know, a close contact hinted to me about this &@jayvee called me crazy.

possibly affiliated with someone else doing 100k office in a inner city neighborhood, but we shall see.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Guest

Made my semi-regular walk from 25th street to Brooks to 36th street. While Brooks never fails to be amazing there was some other stuff in the hood that was less cool:

walkability continues to -suck- here. Brevard has sidewalks for about 5% of the trip.

0E0FA6A6-D501-4B6E-9CB2-87872722E942.jpeg

The Highland Mill townhomes are brick but perhaps the ugliest things I have ever seen

EC8C1962-4B63-4C89-977D-91B1932AAD85.jpeg

Finally a development sign at Chadbourn mill. New sign, but not news here.

DE6262ED-4F62-46FC-982D-1C8705611920.jpeg

Finally, Yards could be a much better neighbor and make it possible to walk through and get to Creacent (and the station) but everything is fenced up tight. I am kind surprised residents haven’t complained about that.

image.png.04d294f607b25e2ef62743450c911aab.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

Anyone remember The Goodyear House that was to open in NoDa at least 4 years ago? Per their Facebook page they plan to open in summer of 2019. Is this ever actually going to happen?

They’ve done some heavy construction lately. I think it’ll happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk