NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

1 hour ago, sakami said:

Anyone remember The Goodyear House that was to open in NoDa at least 4 years ago? Per their Facebook page they plan to open in summer of 2019. Is this ever actually going to happen?

They have added an enormous addition to the house over the last 3-4 months. Still a lot of work to do, but Summer 2019 seems feasible.

43 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Not working per say but was allowed up there while at work. I usually follow the UPPC. I wish I would've had my phone when I got to go on top of the ADM silos. That was a really cool one. 

Yes please and any photos from atop the silos will get you a FREE dozen of your favorite Charlotte based doughnuts. 

• Haha 4

This might sound crazy but wouldn’t it be so cool if this abandoned textile mill were to be converted into a grocery store!?  

C9E7717E-2FC9-4C31-9627-EB358C757952.thumb.jpeg.0ee5ee2c4bcaa939f294fc15d970a41f.jpeg&key=51deb7874bb4a7c4ab56f144fafed7faed998accc5d522893b963c84860ab97a

C20F0F0C-B284-42B8-8ACF-FB54F9004549.thumb.jpeg.3bd065c43f455224c7a025baf9c8d211.jpeg&key=65c0cf4aa4d71af4e2bf5db9f5c7cb725efd1e571524d0843d8b7114e8d4f7e3

Actually, yes, a little, it’s not the optimal place to develop one, wouldn’t get approved based on the traffic addition on two one lane roads that can’t be expanded.

That said, I love your spirit, and you have identified something pretty special. This frontage and the space in front of it, represent the most transformational opportunity for all of NoDa. If that was cleaned up and turned into retail, restaurants and even more residential. Sheesh.

There needs to be a grocery store, but it’d likely need to be on the other side of the light rail. Unless someone opened a CoOp or a smaller specialty market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Honestly surprised NoDa hasn't made something like this near 36th and Davidson a priority.  Seems like being a walkable entertainment/restaurant district is about as good as it is going to get.

People have tried and have been trying. The economics for grocery markets are terrible. 

5 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

People have tried and have been trying. The economics for grocery markets are terrible. 

Margins are low, and people will stop shopping at your store if prices get too high.

6 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

I think the other issue (and I'm not a retail guy so could be way off), buy I think that general ingress/egress in NoDa is bad and really limits the grocery trade area so a very small concept is all that's really feasible.

you are 100% correct. I always ask people if they can find me a single large supermarket on a one lane road. Generally speaking, they cannot.

Edited by Guest

Call up Weaver Street Market co-op in Carrboro. They do as well as any I've seen in NC with small format groceries: 6-10k square feet stores in walkable areas with nil highway visibility and generally poor vehicular access. They are actively expanding and adding stores but have yet to move beyond the Triangle. Would be a great fit for NoDa.

10 minutes ago, orulz said:

Call up Weaver Street Market co-op in Carrboro. They do as well as any I've seen in NC with small format groceries: 6-10k square feet stores in walkable areas with nil highway visibility and generally poor vehicular access. They are actively expanding and adding stores but have yet to move beyond the Triangle. Would be a great fit for NoDa.

With the new property values in NoDa I wish them luck setting up shop. That said, I wish I knew anything about grocery stores, and had money burning a hole in my pocket, because I'd totally open a market, florist, cocktail bar, and coffee shop in NoDa

Edited by Guest

you are 100% correct. I always ask people if they can find me a single large supermarket on a one lane road. Generally speaking, they cannot.
Bringing more Carrboro to the thread (since I kind of think of NoDa as Charlotte's version of Carrboro) there is a Harris Teeter on North Greensboro Street, a two lane road.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This is certainly true in NC. However lots of other places  have supermarkets with crappy road access but great transit access (which a 36th street site would have). But this is Charlotte so....

(anecdote is not data but) I would stop at a 36th street grocery store 3 days a week on my way home from work if it were close to the station (until the new Southend station beside Publix opens...)

contradictory point: NoDa looks awful to chain retailers since it sits on a demographic peninsula. However, the actual demographics are changing quickly as the houses on the other side of Plaza continue to gentrify BUT no chain retailer will know the demographics are changing until after the 2020 census is released (sometime in late 2022), ACS and private vendor data that retailers use for site selection won’t show income increases in the area  before then.

Edited by kermit

9 minutes ago, orulz said:
27 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Bringing more Carrboro to the thread (since I kind of think of NoDa as Charlotte's version of Carrboro) there is a Harris Teeter on North Greensboro Street, a two lane road.

You could conceivably leave the back side of that parking lot and access E. Main St. a 4 lane road. 

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, kermit said:

contradictory point 1) I would stop at a 36th street grocery store 3 days a week if it were close to the station

contradictory point 2) NoDa looks awful to chain retailers since it sits on a demographic pennensula. But that is changing quickly as the houses on the other side of Plaza continue to gentrify (the 2020 census will show that when released in 2022, ACS and private vendor data won’t show income increases in the area  before then)

1) I'll happily enjoy you frequenting my market, I think you will LOVE the Nacho bar.

2) Yea this is in for a big time change.