NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

29 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

you are 100% correct. I always ask people if they can find me a single large supermarket on a one lane road. Generally speaking, they cannot.

Come to my neighborhood and I'll show you a large and thriving supermarket on a one-lane road, plus a smaller specialty foods market and about a half dozen convenience stores.

12 minutes ago, QClifer said:

HArris teeter at Colony and Rea

i get your point though

Didn't Colony get a road diet after that was built tho?

11 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Come to my neighborhood and I'll show you a large and thriving supermarket on a one-lane road, plus a smaller specialty foods market and about a half dozen convenience stores.

Come to my neighborhood, our grocery stores are ONLY on one lane roads, then again 68,000 people live per square mile here. oh and none of them are "supermarkets."

Edited by Guest

38 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:
You could conceivably leave the back side of that parking lot and access E. Main St. a 4 lane road. 

... it's a 4 lane road for about 800 feet, but I guess I have to concede. I guess you're not talking about rural areas since those are all over the place, so... next contestant: Ingles on Haywood Road in West Asheville. Heck, the Super Walmart in East Asheville is accessible only from a two lane road.

I think it is less a product of grocery stores being unworkable from a business perspective on 2 lane roads, and more a product of there being very few urban commercial areas in NC where zoning would allow a grocery store but are not also served by 4 lane roads.

11 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

If only the brain trust that runs Food Lion would rebuild the store on The Plaza. Talk about missing the boat.

They better do it before the Neighborhoods eventually get the rest of The Plaza to Sugar Creek road dieted, as well (current one will end at Hawthorne).

I wonder what Food Lion's corporate pockets are like for a rebuild; HT iis already a high end place.

21 minutes ago, orulz said:

... it's a 4 lane road for about 800 feet, but I guess I have to concede. I guess you're not talking about rural areas since those are all over the place, so... next contestant: Ingles on Haywood Road in West Asheville. Heck, the Super Walmart in East Asheville is accessible only from a two lane road.

I think it is less a product of grocery stores being unworkable from a business perspective on 2 lane roads, and more a product of there being very few urban commercial areas in NC where zoning would allow a grocery store but are not also served by 4 lane roads.

Its really about road infrastructure in general, connectivity, which NoDa lacks. You can stand in the middle of North Davidson and 36th and see a fundamental difference between the areas mentioned.  Room for parking, easy access to highways, expressways, etc. 

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Didn't Colony get a road diet after that was built tho?

Come to my neighborhood, our grocery stores are ONLY on one lane roads, then again 68,000 people live per square mile here. oh and none of them are "supermarkets."

I guess that's kind of my point.  NoDa may not have enough people now to support a grocery store, or not enough within walking distance.  But if it gets dense enough there, they could have a store without a parking lot that would only attract people coming on foot.  But until it reaches that point, I agree with your earlier comment about a store on the other side of the tracks being more practical.  The supermarket in my neighborhood does have a parking lot, but many people, like me, walk there.

Edited by JacksonH

I guess that's kind of my point.  NoDa may not have enough people now to support a grocery store, or not enough within walking distance.  But if it gets dense enough there, they could have a store without a parking lot that would only attract people coming on foot.  But until it reaches that point, I agree with your earlier comment about a store on the other side of the tracks being more practical.

NoDa developing to that point will be contingent on the other side of the tracks building up and the train yard being developed. Also, they can’t have a grocery store like your describing at all based on zoning. Love the idea about highland mill being turned into one though. There’s a parking lot there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

NoDa developing to that point will be contingent on the other side of the tracks building up and the train yard being developed. Also, they can’t have a grocery store like your describing at all based on zoning. Love the idea about highland mill being turned into one though. There’s a parking lot there!

I love that idea, too.  I wish I had thought of it myself.  :)

But maybe some folks will opt to ditch the car and get a little exercise when going out to buy groceries.  Get one of these fold-up carts and you're good to go.  Got one myself.  :)

Foldable Grocery Cart.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

If only the brain trust that runs Food Lion would rebuild the store on The Plaza. Talk about missing the boat.

11 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

They better do it before the Neighborhoods eventually get the rest of The Plaza to Sugar Creek road dieted, as well (current one will end at Hawthorne).

I wonder what Food Lion's corporate pockets are like for a rebuild; HT iis already a high end place.

From what I understand it might not be a question of pocket depth but the cost of lost business for a shut down and rebuild. We're talking about Food Lion's #1 or 2 store in Charlotte. They're in a pretty big supermarket desert of Charlotte, only competition is the Giant Penny, Compare, and Waynes. Those 3 are ok for most canned and sealed foods so they're more discount grocer than anything.

Plus the lot for FL is too small, a rebuild of the store does nothing to help that. I did talk to some of the staff awhile back and they said that the old BiLo/ Harvey's store was considered at one point for a FL relocation candidate. The lot is bigger and the loading dock alley is bigger. But they stated that they'd move too far from the center of their base of customers. 

When a new NoDa/ North End grocery store gets built it needs to be more towards Tryon. For now though the old Food Kitty serves most of my needs just fine. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

I love that idea, too.  I wish I had thought of it myself.  :)

But maybe some folks will opt to ditch the car and get a little exercise when going out to buy groceries.  Get one of these fold-up carts and you're good to go.  Got one myself.  :)

Foldable Grocery Cart.jpg

I used to have one. Broke it because we would bring like 75lbs of groceries home from Trader Joes on the Subway when we first moved her a bazillion years ago. Now we buy groceries everyday, because its a 4min walk.

Just now, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I used to have one. Broke it because we would bring like 75lbs of groceries home from Trader Joes on the Subway when we first moved her a bazillion years ago. Now we buy groceries everyday, because its a 4min walk.

That's awesome.  Grocery shopping every day means fresh food every day.

55 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I haven't been to NoDA in years.  It looks like it has boomed.  My wife used to love the fish taco place and the knitting store.  I need to take a trip back there some day.

Do you live in Charlotte?

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Saw on Facebook that Sugar Creek is reopening this evening at 6pm. It's been a long time coming, but North Charlotte's infrastructure is much better for it!

I just got the daily email from CDOT saying it wouldn’t reopen until 04/17, but I hope it is today. 

• Haha 1