NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

On 4/2/2019 at 10:26 PM, 11 HouseBZ said:

From what I understand it might not be a question of pocket depth but the cost of lost business for a shut down and rebuild. We're talking about Food Lion's #1 or 2 store in Charlotte. They're in a pretty big supermarket desert of Charlotte, only competition is the Giant Penny, Compare, and Waynes. Those 3 are ok for most canned and sealed foods so they're more discount grocer than anything.

Plus the lot for FL is too small, a rebuild of the store does nothing to help that. I did talk to some of the staff awhile back and they said that the old BiLo/ Harvey's store was considered at one point for a FL relocation candidate. The lot is bigger and the loading dock alley is bigger. But they stated that they'd move too far from the center of their base of customers. 

When a new NoDa/ North End grocery store gets built it needs to be more towards Tryon. For now though the old Food Kitty serves most of my needs just fine. 

They could always use the Publix model and put the store on a podium with parking underneath. 

45 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

While I'm not a huge fan of Publix, they have mastered how to build urban grocery stores in the South.

I wish something like this could happen with the Johnston Mill site.  A very creative use of space.

This in Jacksonville's Riverside is pretty compact too (without bordering two-lane roads.

Of course, there is still the point that NoDa doesn't have the density of those areas.  Development west of the 36th street stop still feels like  a question mark.

Edited by Desert Power
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Desert Power said:

I wish something like this could happen with the Johnston Mill site.  A very creative use of space.

This in Jacksonville's Riverside is pretty compact too (without bordering two-lane roads.

Of course, there is still the point that NoDa doesn't have the density of those areas.  Development west of the 36th street stop still feels like  a question mark.

What am I looking for in the first one, its just a map.

Also lacks the connectivity of that area. Its a sea of gridded streets that can handle traffic. NoDa has only a couple entrances to the neighborhood because of the train yard.

33 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

What am I looking for in the first one, its just a map.

Also lacks the connectivity of that area. Its a sea of gridded streets that can handle traffic. NoDa has only a couple entrances to the neighborhood because of the train yard.

Hard to link.  The Publix at the corner of Gervais and Huger.  Looks like it was adapted from some older mill building.

Rode in on the Carolinian last night after dark. While there is a long way to go I will say that the green lighted sign at Warp and Weft along with station lights at 25th make that stretch of Brevard look MUCH more welcoming looking after dark. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kermit said:

Rode in on the Carolinian last night after dark. While there is a long way to go I will say that the green lighted sign at Warp and Weft along with station lights at 25th make that stretch of Brevard look MUCH more welcoming looking after dark. 

That area is one of the most exciting ones in Charlotte.  So much potential, but I wish more was underway....

27 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

It is amazing to me how rarely I ever even notice the Johnston Mill. It is just part of the wallpaper of NoDa.

But today I realized just great this little stretch would be with retail storefronts lining N Davidson St. 

Do what you want with the rest, but having something else commercial bridging that gap between NoDa Proper and it's "warehouse district" would be the best possible outcome to me.

IMG_20190411_152401.jpg

IMG_20190411_150005.jpg

I seriously wish someone would hand me some money, because I'd rehab all of this myself. Anyone got someone who will fund a guy with a vision?