NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

question: why hasn't the second phase of the Yards at NoDa apartments been built?  they own that tract and the rest of the apartments why wouldn't they have develop it during such demand?  anybody know.  

Glad they haven’t. Maybe it’ll be like the building on TREMONT, now their phase 2 is commercial and retail instead of apartments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So that land had no real relation to the Yards (a Gvest Partners development), correct? I had assumed both were owned by the same person.

I am mostly thinking it because I'm looking for any bargaining chip the community can use to have Yards and Novel open up the fence that is separating their shared road connection for ped/biker use.

So I got to talk to a contractor in UCity the other day, and he mentioned that he was about to start (June/ July) construction on the apartments off of Matheson next to the creek. The entrance is to come in right behind the trucking company beside the gas station. He did say the portion of the greenway trail will not be built as part of his project but space will be left for completion at a later date. Are these the sme apartments we've already seen renderings for? 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

So I got to talk to a contractor in UCity the other day, and he mentioned that he was about to start (June/ July) construction on the apartments off of Matheson next to the creek. The entrance is to come in right behind the trucking company beside the gas station. He did say the portion of the greenway trail will not be built as part of his project but space will be left for completion at a later date. Are these the sme apartments we've already seen renderings for? 

Sounds like this is the development that the map shows as "The Exchange"

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.7f5b1a614008edb569aa3c5a008d6eed.png

Every time I step off the train on 36th, I see the big vacant mill and the land between the train and the mill and think, gosh, I wish that was something. 

So I was bored at work today so I created this and sent it to Crescent/Asana Partners haha.

I really do hope something comes to this area and the mill eventually gets redone. I personally really like how the Novel development and retail looks in person and can't wait for Wooden Robot to open up.  Only complaint is the view from their upper patio is of the side of the apartment building and undeveloped land between Tryon and the tracks... But if I can get a Good Morning Vietnam without getting bumped into, I'll take anything!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JHart said:

Is that still going to be Room & Board or did that fall through?  There have been several new leases signed for this place over the last few years and still it sits

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/148288/new-restaurant-room-board-coming-to-the-former-revolution-ale-house-in-noda/

I'm not sure.  I was hoping to see something on the permit website that would indicate the tenant name, The only recent permits listed are the canceled Moo & Brew ones from a year or so ago. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

this story about Amelies and the dispute between its landlord and their partners is a complicated one I had to read this article twice to get an understanding.  Anyway it does sound like Amelies will move and that site would be redeveloped but it is all tied up in the NC Business Court right now.  But I would think any property owner would want a great destination tenant anchor like Ameilies and I am sure offers are being presented to them now.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/03/could-landlord-dispute-parking-compel-amelies-to.html

• Like 4

I understand Amelies request of a guarantee the use of the vacant lot in order to re-sign their lease, but it is going to be a tough search to find that amount of parking anywhere else in NoDa. Their lot without the overflow parking lot is already one of the largest in the area, especially as that southern part of NoDa continues to develop and you have a thousand new apartments open up within walking distance. I'm sure they will be able to find a new development in the future, but where would they go temporarily until a new development could be built? 

What about the recently vacated art academy on 36th? Hear me out. Relatively similar in size based on my highly accurate mobile version of Google maps observations. But seriously there's plenty of parking in the tiny lot behind it, on the street and at the public use parking deck at the novel apartments. Plus the obvious, the light rail. This, I think, would make a great location because it'd help wrap the stroll district around towards the new retail at the light rail station. Plus Amelie's would be on the BLE in the heart of NoDa. I'm sure this would never happen because if a multitude of reasons but what do y'all think?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

What about the recently vacated art academy on 36th? 

Amelie's would be great at the Behailu space. Geography is literally perfect.

Now, beyond actual nuts-and-bolts real estate issues, i do wonder how the Amelie's owners feel about seating area. Their old Uptown location was tiny, their new one is massive. A 24-hr Amelie's in a busy NoDa district would need to be suitably large. This is a tough nut to crack!

One thing is for sure: as amazing as that Amelie's has always been for the area for decade(s), I know we have all always lamented the lack of street-acknowledgment from that post-war building. Being surrounded by a parking lot stinks. If only Amelie's had taken that old "Red Hookah Lounge" space fronting 28th St.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

20 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

What about the recently vacated art academy on 36th? Hear me out. Relatively similar in size based on my highly accurate mobile version of Google maps observations. But seriously there's plenty of parking in the tiny lot behind it, on the street and at the public use parking deck at the novel apartments. Plus the obvious, the light rail. This, I think, would make a great location because it'd help wrap the stroll district around towards the new retail at the light rail station. Plus Amelie's would be on the BLE in the heart of NoDa. I'm sure this would never happen because if a multitude of reasons but what do y'all think?

From what I understand all the buildings on Bernard up to Tryon will be adaptively reused very soon. In fact the person who confirmed the Amelie's story to me, was the person who told me about this adaptive re-use project, so now I have more questions to ask.