NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I just spoke with an exec with The Worthington Companies who is scouting the NoDa area because of the newly-created TOD districts

They are looking to build apartments around (or in) the concrete factory land which will be along the future Greenway extension

Even though it's a 5ish minute walk to the Sugar Creek station, they are banking pin Flywheel's plans and the Greenway (which IIRC is not funded yet past Matheson), as well as the new TOD rules

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Odd since 5/3 is planning a ton of Urban locations.  

E Stonewall ground floor of apts, Camden/West, 7th across from Crescent proposal, and Kings Dr.

Edit: think Central Ave as well, but that one is not confirmed

They have a sign on the door that says “This location is closing 07/31” 

As a business 5/3 customer, I have been to that branch once.  I found it is difficult to get into and even park nearby at. They were a pioneer in that area but it seemed hard to see from the street and they may want more visible locations which the newer ones they are proposing will be more so.   I can't imagine that location having as many business customers as the other branches around town and remember businesses visit branches a lot more than individuals banking there. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Caught some work being done old solstice. One of the guys in charge said they ate enlarging the window and installing a lintel above the window because surprisingly it had none. I also asked him about the mural and unfortunately he said some of it will be repainted to a more NoDa themed mural. Not sure what that means, but the bright side is he's hiring the Matt duo to paint it.

Awful :angry:

1 hour ago, CLT-704 said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/03/20/charlotte-restaurateur-snaps-up-prime-noda-site.html

It looks like they have been in plan review for a few weeks, so I'd expect they have a building permit soon. 

Not seen anything too great from their other restaurants. Wonder how they will do in NoDa taking over such a high profile spot. I bet they become the 5th best "American" restaurant in NoDa..

22 minutes ago, JHart said:

Not seen anything too great from their other restaurants. Wonder how they will do in NoDa taking over such a high profile spot. I bet they become the 5th best "American" restaurant in NoDa..

Today was the first time I looked at their portfolio.  I was aware of those restaurants, but to your point, I haven't heard enough to feel compelled to go to any.   I'll try to be optimistic and hope they can bridge the gap between Billy Jack's/Jack Begals/Growlers and Haberdish.  Fingers crossed for a Leroy Fox type menu that is more than bar food but not an expensive select menu. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Pretty disappointing portfolio, tbh.

Did 204 North drastically go down hill? It was a solid B+ when I went there a few years ago.

1 minute ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Did 204 North drastically go down hill? It was a solid B+ when I went there a few years ago.

I had lunch there last week actually and I can say the food definitely wasn't bad but it wasn't anything too special, and soggy fries :( . Never had dinner there so I can't speak towards that. It just worries me with them describing the new restaurant as "fun American" which is exactly what NoDa does not need another one of. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It's more just that it's a group with a bunch of B-grade places opening an American food place in NoDa when there are better restaurant groups in the city and better concepts that could go there. I'm sure they'll do fine traffic because NoDa is busy, but it just feels boring.

• Like 2

Just now, Desert Power said:

Someone that doesn't have anywhere in NoDa and has a lot of generic places wanted a "more NoDa" mural is pretty cringeworthy.  

You think young influencers are going to take photos in front of just any old mural? No! It needs to be something with an inspirational quote and shapes that frame you attractively when you stand in front of it.

• Haha 1