NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

5 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Man this just dropped a sick of dynamite on that area of 36th near Tryon..... the next 10 years are going to be crazy. So much space back there.

Now the City/County needs to get cracking on the Greenway along Little Sugar Creek

I don't know if this has been discussed in other threads, but I'd like to see N. Tryon block from Craighead to Sugar Creek given the Kings Drive treatment.  It might be harder to do on N Tryon:  Kings drive was mostly national retail chain tenants that the city bought and tore down... and N. Tryon is likely locally owned small business.  ...but you would think it would be at least less expensive.

15 hours ago, archiham04 said:

I don't know if this has been discussed in other threads, but I'd like to see N. Tryon block from Craighead to Sugar Creek given the Kings Drive treatment.  It might be harder to do on N Tryon:  Kings drive was mostly national retail chain tenants that the city bought and tore down... and N. Tryon is likely locally owned small business.  ...but you would think it would be at least less expensive.

What happened on Kings Drive?  Did the city buy up a bunch of buildings to make way for the Metropolitan?

The park that stretches between Morehead and Baxter was a sketchy stretch of fast food restaurants, a quick lube and an Exxon.

It backed up to a grossly neglected Sugar Creek, but it was a flood plain though, hence why the County purchased these parcels and turned it into a park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What happened on Kings Drive?  Did the city buy up a bunch of buildings to make way for the Metropolitan?

See above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't believe I'm just now realizing that it is the same Little Sugar Creek that flows from NoDa down past Metropolitan. I mean, it makes sense when you look at it, I guess my mental maps of the local creeks are just really disconnected.

I really wish Charlotte would kick into overdrive in regards to stream restoration/beautification and extending the Greenways!

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

the Metropolitan development was on the site of the old Charlottetown Mall.  The city did buy up all the businesses along Kings Drive on the creek side because they frequently flooded and that including an Exxon station, a McDonalds and several other businesses. 

very sketchy Taco Bell too. The Exxon on the corner of what's now pearl park way and Morehead had the BEST automatic car wash tho. Back before I could afford Autobell

Edited by Guest

17 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

remember people were really upset about that Exxon closing as it was a full service gas station hard to find then.  Yes I remember that Taco Hell.  I of course was upset McDonalds closed there. 

Do you remember what the creek looked like back there? I'd title my book about it "Kudzu & Car Parts." 

I didn't even know there was a creek, that's how bad it was back there. 

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

very sketchy Taco Bell too. The Exxon on the corner of what's now pearl park way and Morehead had the BEST automatic car wash tho. Back before I could afford Autobell

There was also a hotel there, 4-5 stories I believe. And if I remember correctly that Exxon was 'Woodie's' who now has multiple locations of auto repair places all over town.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took a walk by the Hart-Witzen Galleries & Studios, aka future Amelie's 24-hour location. It had been a while since my last time over there.

For anyone who does not know the building, I have included some Travel Channel-worthy way finding notes on the pics to orient yourself.

It's worth noting that this parcel is on Benard St, imediately behind the mechanics garage which is at the corner of 36th St and N Tryon St.

Benard and Cullman Ave are two dead-end streets that terminate at gullies of Little Sugar Creek (which runs between both streets) and the railroad tracks spur. Interesting future these few blocks may have; Isolated, yet not.

Finally, regarding the front of this building: I do hope they turn this tiny front room of windows into the main entrance, taking out the privacy bushes that line the front of the property. Amelie's needs a grand entrance, not relegated to a side-door like in pic #2 (as was the case at their original location, where they should have taken the old Red's Hookah Lounge Space... But I digress).

885289975.png

IMG_20190902_092442.jpg

Screenshot_20190902-213821.png

402142314.png

1675611705.png

Screenshot_20190902-214514.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Looks like Hart Weitzen is right at the edge of the FEMA floodplain. 

Thanks for that, Toz. I didn't know it was that extreme. I guess that means most of those existing buildings really are there to stay...

The neighborhood has been pushing for the Cullman Ave park for years. Stalled at some point back.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Hart Witzen itself has flooded before too.  It's amazing how short our memories are when it comes to things like this.  All of Cullman and most of Brevard on the West side of 36th has been entirely underwater in the last decade.  That entire area would not be able to have permitted construction below the Base Flood Elevation (BFE) + 24" (I think that's right - someone confirm?).  BFE is 692 and topo is as low as 682.  That would mean first habitable floor would have to be about 12 feet above existing grades.  Even Hart Witzen is 6 feet below what would be permitted today (but it's grandfathered).

I suggest that means that it's destined to stay as it is or become a park.  I was on the Cullman Ave Park Committee for the neighborhood association years ago.  Fell apart because of no funding and no interest in funding.  I always thought it'd be a really great park including athletic fields.  It'd be well used with it's location.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Thanks for that, Toz. I didn't know it was that extreme. I guess that means most of those existing buildings really are there to stay...

The neighborhood has been pushing for the Cullman Ave park for years. Stalled at some point back.

Really should be a park here.  One of the great things Charlotte does is buy out homes on flood plains.  Really sucks how much land adjacent to the light rail is not suitable for TOD (this stretch, the rail yard, and etc).  Connecting Cordelia to here would be awesome though.

• Like 1

Surely Amelie's is the one CLT institution with enough weight to catalyze interest/funding for that park and Greenway extension.

We all know the funding for the XCLT system north of NoDa is being downgraded to a series of bike boulevards (not a bad idea) due to no funding, but Amelie's being there has got to push the needle over the next decade.

Aside: such a peculiar area. Adjacent to one of the hottest neighborhoods and transit stations in the city, but also two rail lines/Spurs limiting connectivity, and completely un-buildable land with existing buildings still in use. 

I'm very interested in what kind of re-use those buildings all see in the future.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

16 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Aside: such a peculiar area. Adjacent to one of the hottest neighborhoods and transit stations in the city, but also two rail lines/Spurs limiting connectivity, and completely un-buildable land with existing buildings still in use. 

I'm very interested in what kind of re-use those buildings all see in the future.

The city has bought most of the properties on Cullman Ave and I think will continue to try and buy the rest.  I believe that a park will ultimately be the use there.