NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...

This is perhaps a silly question, but does anyone know whether the City is considering/has considered connecting Herrin Ave under the railroad tracks and bringing N McDowell all the way to Herrin? Seems like a potentially smart way to improve connectivity in the area as part of the Northeast Corridor Improvement initiative, though not sure if there’s a history I’m missing as to why these streets were all disconnected.

84176f756879a149fbcca3aee639a801.jpg

17 hours ago, southslider said:

^The existing street was closed due to low clearance. The station area plan calls for reconnecting the street, if the AC&W RR were relocated, but that seems less likely now.

Yea, the state has been dragging its feet on the ACWR relocation and its not clear to me why. AFAIK the project is still on the books and there is a good bit of money at the FRA to pay for short line projects like this. It also makes ACWR maintenance easier and cheaper by eliminating a bridge and several grade crossings.

The project is only going to get harder as gentrification between Anderson and Sugar Creek catches fire. 

Edited by kermit

Drive over there to see that rail bridge, with timbers from the sleeper supply and a single lane wide. When Herrin connected if I were in the neighborhood I would make a point of driving through the opening for the frisson of excitement. Low, narrow, wood only for support and a cheap thrill at 25 mph.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kermit said:

Yea, the state has been dragging its feet on the ACWR relocation and its not clear to me why. AFAIK the project is still on the books and there is a good bit of money at the FRA to pay for short line projects like this. It also makes ACWR maintenance easier and cheaper by eliminating a bridge and several grade crossings.

The project is only going to get harder as gentrification between Anderson and Sugar Creek catches fire. 

I wonder if this will be in town in conjunction with the Charlotte Pipe and Foundry relocation to Stanly County as this the railroad they would  use and thus it might become a bit busier.   Maybe the state is going to do this project in conjunction with the proposed plant relocation. 

• Like 2

I had no idea about this AC&W proposed realignment--thanks for learning me something today, UP! 

It's obvious from the rail supports they've built at 36th that they're locked for the relocation and ready for loading, so I don't understand why this isn't starting to move ahead (besides the usual $$$ explanation). Once this is done, the extension of the bike path its current terminus around 25th will be fantastic, and itself nearly worth the hassle of the relocation. It looks like, to me, with the proposed street realignments, that Herrin should simply then be reconnected, with only a bike/pedestrian crossing where the railroad bridge is now. 

Because I'm *all about* street (re)connections, I hope that in addition to re-extending Ardmore to to East Sugar Creek they'd realign Dinglewood and have it connect to Northmore as well, which would really help create a connected neighborhood up there, and give two alternatives to the Plaza from Eastway into the upper NoDa area.

A pet peeve of mine is how the city won't take the trouble, especially at (anticipated) moments like this when streets are actually realigned, to go ahead and change names for logical flow. I just wish that they'd do the sensible, logical thing and rename Anderson--only north of Oakwood--to North Davidson, and rename the North Davidson remnant that will be connected to Card as either Card or Bearwood... And I think Dinglewood (in my fantasy connection) would certainly be better served with the name of Northmore. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the Metromont site now called Upper NoDa ( I told y'all real estate people come up with these names)  

I present to you Upper NoDa

https://www.hfflp.com/property-details.html?propId=9131

where is my friend @SoDoSoPa on this new name?  UpNoDa

I did not realize those new apartments were called Amaze at NoDa either.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Here is the Metromont site now called Upper NoDa ( I told y'all real estate people come up with these names)  
where is my friend [mention=32222]SoDoSoPa[/mention] on this new name?  UpNoDa

Should be called SuCre, an abbreviated Sugar Creek, French for Sugar

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Desert Power said:

The whole area between  277 and Noda has terrible naming/confusing already.  This is just silly

Belmont, Villa Heights, NoDa are fairly well laid out IMO. But yes this is just silly. If you want a tacky abbreviated name it should be NoNoDa (North NoDa)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

where is my friend @SoDoSoPa on this new name?  UpNoDa

I guess it's better than "CtPa Town" :tw_lol:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, JHart said:

Belmont, Villa Heights, NoDa are fairly well laid out IMO. But yes this is just silly. If you want a tacky abbreviated name it should be NoNoDa (North NoDa)

I never even liked the name NoDa.  I wish they would have stuck with one of the historical names in the area like Highland Park.  NoDa sounds too contrived to me, and an attempt to sound cool like SoHo, but winding up with something that doesn't roll off the tongue.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

I never even liked the name NoDa.  I wish they would have stuck with one of the historical names in the area like Highland Park.  NoDa sounds too contrived to me, and an attempt to sound cool like SoHo, but winding up with something that doesn't roll off the tongue.  

started off being called in real estate circles as the Arts District but the name came about after people starting hearing more and more about SoHo in NYC so blame it on them.  LOL 

• Thanks 1