NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

2 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Wait so they're calling this UNO?

Might be the apartment complex name UNO at UpNoDa with the motto come north and Up yours!   

Charlotte has a long tradition of neighborhood name stretching  (think Dilworth which keeps marching southward behind Mac's and further south)  

• Haha 4

59 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Ooof.  Should have reserved for that one.

Was an unexpected problem. My friend lived there and moved out just before construction started. I think most of the units had leaks from shoddy facade work. It wasn't just an age thing that could be planned for in the budget.

Most HOAs are poorly run anyway. I just sold my place in Seigle Point. While it doesn't have any major issues like Fat City Lofts, it does badly need new paint and new roofs are needed as well. I know painting was quoted at $70,000 to the HOA manager. We had approximately $30,000 in reserves as of January...that's not even enough to draw out of to make major repairs because lenders require a certain level of reserves before they'll lend to new prospective buyers.

43 minutes ago, Niner National said:

I think most of the units had leaks from shoddy facade work.

This seems to be endemic among the post-recession multi-family in town -- more buildings than not have needed facade rebuilds in Southend over the past decade. Its happening now at 1100 South and recently finished up (well, maybe a year ago) at Mosaic as well as several other buildings.

I know nothing about commercial construction, but as a homeowner / property manager who has completed my share of heavy DIY, I would assume that any properly maintained siding that isn't waterproof for 20+ years is due to incompetent builders.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Niner National said:

Was an unexpected problem. My friend lived there and moved out just before construction started. I think most of the units had leaks from shoddy facade work. It wasn't just an age thing that could be planned for in the budget.

Most HOAs are poorly run anyway. I just sold my place in Seigle Point. While it doesn't have any major issues like Fat City Lofts, it does badly need new paint and new roofs are needed as well. I know painting was quoted at $70,000 to the HOA manager. We had approximately $30,000 in reserves as of January...that's not even enough to draw out of to make major repairs because lenders require a certain level of reserves before they'll lend to new prospective buyers.

Yeah, I actually looked at Seigle Point but went with a different community 7 years ago.  The HOA I joined was in the middle of building up reserves which has been very good for us.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

It's a half mile walk to Sugar Creek Station. Doesn't seem that bad at all. 

Its not the distance that is bad.  That area is still pretty rough and there are no sidewalks.  "Uncomfortable" is a nice way of putting it.   "Ill advised"  and  "Are you f*cking crazy" is how my wife phrased it the last time we did that walk.

I have no doubts that it will get better quickly.  That area is going to see some big changes since the BLE opened.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2019 at 3:31 PM, CTiger said:

Its not the distance that is bad.  That area is still pretty rough and there are no sidewalks.  "Uncomfortable" is a nice way of putting it.   "Ill advised"  and  "Are you f*cking crazy" is how my wife phrased it the last time we did that walk.

I have no doubts that it will get better quickly.  That area is going to see some big changes since the BLE opened.

I agree with you but honestly I think it’ll be another 5 years minimum worth of growth needed for the Upper NoDa / Sugar Creek Station Area before perceptions begin to change.  Part of the reason is because Optimist Park is taking some of the Development Energy away from this area as is NoDa Proper and Villa Heights due to available lots.  

The area around Optimist Hall is already becoming more walkable and will increase vastly in 5 Years.  The Sugar Creek Area will lag behind.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kermit said:

Much to my surprise replacement rails have been staged for use on the ACWR tracks near Matheson.  I guess the realignment is a longggg way off if a short line is spending this kind of money on these very low speed tracks.

I don't think this is going to happen for a long time (and the uncertainty makes it hard to expect much more activity near Sugar Creek station where it would be rerouted)