NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Not all infill projects are met with approval from the local residents case in point in NoDa.

from a subscriber article 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/12/17/why-a-proposed-noda-project-is-drawing-opposition.html

""A proposed project along NoDa's 36th Street would include affordable residences and commercial space, but some residents and council members are questioning whether the project is too dense.  CoHab, a local developer with plans for several infill residential projects in urban neighborhoods around Charlotte, has proposed up to 60 multifamily units and 4,900 square feet of ground-floor commercial space at North McDowell and East 36th streets. The parcels, which measure a little less than an acre, currently include a couple of single-family homes and a vacant lot.  A NoDa resident who lives near the proposed project, Tony Ross, spoke in opposition to the development, saying an area plan "emphasized" single-family homes around 36th Street.  "Our concern has been and continues to be one thing: density," Ross said.  The proposed density is more than 60 units per acre, a dramatic jump from the current 6 units per acre. Pettine said city planning staff recommend approval of the petition despite that marked increase because the massing and scale of the project is similar to what's been developed nearby. The project is close to dense townhouse development and an apartment property, Mercury NoDa, which has hundreds of units.""

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tarwater said:

I think it's a great project. And as far as I know, the neighborhood association has given its blessing. (Interestingly, their website says the city council agrees with them over 95% of the time.)

It say that in the article I just didn't quote it I just thought the residents comment was interesting.  

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 10:14 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

That's the N Davidson corner at Jordan PL.

I could have sworn a year or two ago someone said there was no retail in this project

Confused... where is this development?    Does this sit in the empty parcel in front of Chadbourn or across the street replacing Buck's Oil and the small church and the old Crossfit?  

From the rendering, it looks too large to be either.

Edited by UPNoDa

Confused... where is this development?    Does this sit in the empty parcel in front of Chadbourn or across the street replacing Buck's Oil and the small church and the old Crossfit?  

From the rendering, it looks too large to be either.

It fits like a glove in front of chadbourn. I’ll post the siteplan as soon as people aren’t watching the impeachment vote on my computer at work.

Nevermind found it on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

72888f2b80f333f84c2396b800eb7373.jpg&key=4b40baa64b039378759ad505bf46fd9a8cbfba91993a6ecda12b81582ef5f140

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

Oh OK, I had no idea that parcel was that big. 

Google Earth was my friend. :tw_grimace:

well they did tear down the dilapidated half of the mill... So you might just remember it being way closer to North Davidson than it currently is.

14 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Pic from a NoDa FB group:

It boggles my mind that NoDa residents are so NIMBY, but then I remember how wealthy they typically are, and it makes sense.

"I got mine, now nobody else gets anything." Not a quote, but that's what it is.

Doesn't surprise me at alll.  NoDa has too many expensive single family homes to avoid these trends.  It isn't a quaint mill village and hasn't been since long before the light rail arrived.