NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Do you guys really think this is 'ugly', or just that it is boring and run-of-the-mill?

I think most people/buyers don't mind a basic or typical facade design, and are more interested in location, price point, upgrades/spec level and floorplan. The key is for the exterior to not be ugly.

I personally don't think this is ugly, and I'm much happier to have quality materials (steel and brick) over the EIFS junk that is going up all over the place, including uptown.

Huh. We don't sit here to criticize projects because its "fun" and I don't consider the people here to be doing armchair quarterbacking. Possibly that is why some come to UrbanPlanet, but that isn't the reason that a lot of people put a lot of hard work, time, energy and money to keep this urban discussion community going. If that is your reason for coming to this site, I can recommend a couple of places that start with the letter S that is more suited to that type of discussion.

Huh. We don't sit here to criticize projects because its "fun" and I don't consider the people here to be doing armchair quarterbacking. Possibly that is why some come to UrbanPlanet, but that isn't the reason that a lot of people put a lot of hard work, time, energy and money to keep this urban discussion community going. If that is your reason for coming to this site, I can recommend a couple of places that start with the letter S that is more suited to that type of discussion.

For God sakes, man. It was a joke.

Okay, now back to it.

Do you guys really think this design will be a blight to the neighborhood aesthetically? Or is this just a statement that it does not reach the high level of expectation one would have of the architecture of an arts district?

To me, I'm not impressed by the architecture, but I just can't look at it say I dislike it.

It adds people to an area that is borderline and suffered a big setback when the McCresh (Sp?) House was built.

As far as design.....all over Charlotte there is boring designs.....this is light-years better than some suburban crap, but I would say probably is making the hood more vanilla.

Unfortunately this is a misconception that most all developers have. They think that when a place becomes popular, that it must mean people want popular design styles, and ignore the originality that made it desirable in the first place.

Charlotte is progressive enough now that we could be really experimenting with architecture.

Okay, now back to it.

Do you guys really think this design will be a blight to the neighborhood aesthetically? Or is this just a statement that it does not reach the high level of expectation one would have of the architecture of an arts district?

This project is definately not a blight to the neighborhood, but architecture such as this is just another one in the long line of projects that is going to turn Noda into a faceless neighborhood that could be anywhere in Charlotte. It would seem to me that if there is some kind of planning board over the Noda neighborhood, they would be demanding something better as it is basically a 4 story box. It's the equivalent to building a cul de sac neighborhood on small lots instead of going with something more progressive. It maximizes the profits to the developer, but isn't that great for the area and there are many things that could be done to improve the liveablity for both the residents and the neighbors.

For example,

Even if they kept the current look, I think it should be redesigned to include more public space, the apartments on the ground floor should be set back to provide some privacy for the individuals that might live there, and there is a huge lost opportunity here to have some street level retail that would go a long way to improve the walkability of the area. The upper balconies should be redesigned to mitigate the traffic noise. And why don't they incorporate some energy efficient features like solar heating which would be in keeping with the artsy nature of Noda?

We all know that architecture can have big effect on how a neighborhood develops, and this design is lacking in there is absolutely nothing "NoDa" about it. The goal of good residential architecture is to provide unique places that people are proud of which will cause them to stay and invest in the neighborhood's long term future. "Walmart architecture", while it can be quite expensive, just doesn't do that.

They actually do have street level retail included. Also, this is an expansion project around an old warehouse that is full of retail space. The siteplan can be seen here: http://ww.charmeck.org/Departments/Plannin...ns/2005-110.htm The architecture seen in the rendering is actually the back of the project. The buildings within a block of Davidson seem to be different in arch, only three stories, and inclusive of retail.

They actually do have street level retail included. Also, this is an expansion project around an old warehouse that is full of retail space. The siteplan can be seen here: http://ww.charmeck.org/Departments/Plannin...ns/2005-110.htm The architecture seen in the rendering is actually the back of the project. The buildings within a block of Davidson seem to be different in arch, only three stories, and inclusive of retail.

They have planned retail as well as a large restaurant space.

Speaking of retail--I noticed yesterday a sign which read: "Coming Soon: The Salvador Deli and Market". The sandwiches will be surreal, no doubt. It's on N. Davidson in one of the 1-story buildings south of Evening Muse. A few doors down, Solstice Tavern looks like it's about ready to go, and a retail establishment called The Boulevard is opening up on that corner across from Evening Muse and Bodreaux's. As far as I could tell from the description posted on its door, The Boulevard is going to be something like a cross between Blacklion and an art gallery. Good to see more life coming to the commercial sector there.

There is a rather large spread in today's paper by Mr. Smith on a plan to reproduce 1st ward's garden district in Noda. The good news is that in the renderings in the paper, it looks pretty nice. 8 single family homes on tiny lots, 4 - 4story residential towers, 25 live-work lofts, 102 condos, and 103 townhomes. It's called steel gardens.

Even better news is that prices are going to run about $100-$150 sq/ft which isn't bad for a new place these days in Charlotte. This is being built on top of reclaimed land where they used to handle oil. Charlotte needs to see more development like this instead of stripping more land on the fringes to build vinyl starter homes and McMansions.

Edit: I guess this was already announced here since it is in the title of this thread Can't keep up with stuff anymore. :thumbsup:

There is a rather large spread in today's paper by Mr. Smith on a plan to reproduce 1st ward's garden district in Noda. The good news is that in the renderings in the paper, it looks pretty nice. 8 single family homes on tiny lots, 4 - 4story residential towers, 25 live-work lofts, 102 condos, and 103 townhomes. It's called steel gardens.

Even better news is that prices are going to run about $100-$150 sq/ft which isn't bad for a new place these days in Charlotte. This is being built on top of reclaimed land where they used to handle oil. Charlotte needs to see more development like this instead of stripping more land on the fringes to build vinyl starter homes and McMansions.

Edit: I guess this was already announced here since it is in the title of this thread Can't keep up with stuff anymore. :thumbsup:

i'm having trouble picturing where this is...is it north of NoDa then?

Has anyone figured out what's going in where Piedmont Courts used to be? I noticed 2/3 of it is dirt at this point.

From looking at the map, it is in the part of Noda that is northeast of the intersection of 36th and Davidson at the intersection of Herrin and Spencer St. I believe if you travel past 36th on Davidson and turn right on Spencer you will go right by it. Although something seems to make me think they have blocked that road to vehicle traffic because of the precarious train trestle there. You can still walk under it if you like. There is a small neighborhood park across the street from it and the area is surrounded by small mill houses that are in various states of revival.

They are selling future access to transit as one of the reasons to buy here. Obviously they are counting on the University LRT.

From looking at the map, it is in the part of Noda that is northeast of the intersection of 36th and Davidson at the intersection of Herrin and Spencer St. I believe if you travel past 36th on Davidson and turn right on Spencer you will go right by it. Although something seems to make me think they have blocked that road to vehicle traffic because of the precarious train trestle there. You can still walk under it if you like. There is a small neighborhood park across the street from it and the area is surrounded by small mill houses that are in various states of revival.

They are selling future access to transit as one of the reasons to buy here. Obviously they are counting on the University LRT.

The best way to visit this site (Steel Gardens) is to come off The Plaza on Herrin or Spencer from 36th Street -- that train trestle from North Davidson does block the road.