NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

i'm excited about this project. it's not too far from my neck o' the woods. i like the fact it will push progress in that direction, it gives the area more density, and is affordable for most. it's definently within walking distance to all the north davidson action and i really like the name as far as new development goes...

• 1 month later...

As someone who lives in NoDa I have to see that I am thrilled that we are finally getting some new restaurants that are within walking distance of my home (The Colony).

Also, since I see so much "Fat City" love in this thread, I will tell you that the people opening up Salvador Deli are going to be using some of FC's sandwich recipes. I, for one, miss the chicken salad like nobody's business! And the squash casserole. Who could forget the squash casserole?

I haven't eaten at Solstice yet, but hear it is good bar/tavern food.

Also, since I see so much "Fat City" love in this thread, I will tell you that the people opening up Salvador Deli are going to be using some of FC's sandwich recipes. I, for one, miss the chicken salad like nobody's business! And the squash casserole. Who could forget the squash casserole?

For real?? You just made my day, and my lunch plans...

• 1 month later...

Anyone have information on how the nieghborhoods recently opened projects have sold. Everytime I pass through the neighborhood it seems strangely quiet....

I talked to one of the agents for 28 Ro the other night -- they say they are sold out of the first phase and have begun selling the second. Their sales are going well it seems. Steel Gardens is releasing units slowly but have sold those that they have released so far. I think those are the only other new ones there right now.

I agree about Noda's "sound of silence". That part of town always seem to have a surreal desolate feel to it outside of when festivals are held. I think its slowly changing as more new residents move in and new stores and restaurants open in the central core, making it less of a ghost town on a weekday basis.

I agree about Noda's "sound of silence". That part of town always seem to have a surreal desolate feel to it outside of when festivals are held. I think its slowly changing as more new residents move in and new stores and restaurants open in the central core, making it less of a ghost town on a weekday basis.

I agree, even the night life there seems a little slow.

I've lived in the area for 2.5 years now. I think there are more walkers/joggers out in the evenings than there were when I first moved in, although I might be biased since I've been out walking more myself this year. I do see more strollers being pushed around the streets than I did a few years ago, though--the neighborhood's changing in that regard.

As for the sleepiness, I'm thinking (hoping, anyway) it will become a little less so in the future. When I moved in, there was only Smelly Cat, Mellow Mushroom, Boudreaux's, Wine Up, and Cabo, plus the aforementioned NT and EM and the galleries. Now, in addition to those, we have Addie's, Gilda's, Solstice, the little Whole Foodsy market that just opened up, Dolce Vita's new location, Real Eyes bookstore, the dry cleaner, and pretty soon the Salvador Deli. That's not too shabby. Honestly, I've been surprised and pleased by how much the neighborhood's changed since I've moved in, and I'm hoping that the new establishments are doing okay. The infill projects going in near the neighborhood will only help things. One thing I think the neighborhood has going for it is a sense of place--it really has a distinctive center to it. Another is that you have, for the time being anyway, a respectably urban place which also has plenty of parking (in the NT and YMCA parking lots, plus on-street).

I have noticed that none of the commercial sites in Lofts 34 have been sold/rented--anybody heard anything about those? I always wonder how much retail/commercial the area can support.

btw, if anybody wants to go on an archaeological dig to see what life was like in the years 1980 to the early 2000s, feel free to come dig in the (former) garbage dump in my front yard. :) I'm amazed at the quantity and variety of stuff I've dug up there so far. The classic-style Mountain Dew can I found yesterday brought back memories of that commercial where Mountain Dew drinkers would jump off a tire swing into a lake. (This was before they starting getting into more extreme sports.) Good times, good times.

It just gets frustrating trying to think of all the right pieces that need to be put together to make Noda thrive. Its supposed to be our "lively" arts district :( So far I have been heartened and impressed by the sensitivity of the new infill. The majority of the projects are utilizing what's already there and protecting the area's character. Of course the real estate market being what it is there is no way to control the real estate prices that threaten the long time residents and vibe that makes North Davidson unique. But without the new influx the area would decay, which is bad all for all concerned. I have a headache now :blink:

I have noticed that none of the commercial sites in Lofts 34 have been sold/rented--anybody heard anything about those? I always wonder how much retail/commercial the area can support.

The developer of Lofts34 discovered that selling the spaces as "shell" space (unfinished, no fixtures, floors, bathroom, etc) didn't work for this project like it does for other parts of the city. That is the typical finish for a commercial space like that, but NoDa business folks didn't seem to have the ability to buy the space and still have cash left over to finish them (in the realm of $35,000 - $60,000).

They pulled them off the market and have finished them -- at least two are sold, just not complete.

It just gets frustrating trying to think of all the right pieces that need to be put together to make Noda thrive. Its supposed to be our "lively" arts district :( So far I have been heartened and impressed by the sensitivity of the new infill. The majority of the projects are utilizing what's already there and protecting the area's character. Of course the real estate market being what it is there is no way to control the real estate prices that threaten the long time residents and vibe that makes North Davidson unique. But without the new influx the area would decay, which is bad all for all concerned. I have a headache now :blink:

Here is one project in the works for NoDa. An artist oriented community that is being designed to create more live/work space while preserving the mill homes on-site -- a major goal of the community -- preserving the context of the mills homes to the mills, while adding density. This is preliminary, so don't tear it up too much! It will probably change some still, but the new units are being modified from plans for another project. They are to be 15 frame, small 1.5 story attached or semi-attached units which will be very condusive to have gallery crawls since each will have a large open front room with glass front. The site will have courtyards and open space for easy outdoor displays or parties as well. post-9752-1156865263_thumb.jpg

The three mill homes fronting North Davidson will be preserved but modified to be open gallery space (these won't be built for live, just work) but won't look very different than they do now other than updated/repaired. The non-profit Arc community center will remain on the corner (this is on the corner of 32nd and N. Davidson -- directly across from Highland Mill).

post-9752-1156865308_thumb.jpg

One of the goals is to re-eliven gallery crawls in NoDa by adding small spaces for artists -- like the 'hood used to have, but in a condensed space so you can hang-out, check out art, and generally try and bring back some of the old vibe. Remember when artists that lived in NoDa (when it was called North Davidson) used to have parties at thier homes during the crawls -- that was where the best artwork was, or at least the most affordable. The kegs and fires were nice too.

They will be priced according to their finishes, nice (concrete countertops, exposed metal work, etc) but efficient and inexpensive. The row live/work spaces are located at the back of the lot, with parking and courtyards between them and the exisiting buildings.

post-9752-1156865812_thumb.jpg

very preliminary site plan for the above mentioned property...

post-9752-1156865394_thumb.jpg

Edited by Charlotte_native

Nice, thanks for posting those. I really like the first rendering in your post as it finally is something more fitting for the area than the run of the mill EFIS and brick places they have been putting up there.

I think Noda could be helped a lot if they were to stop truck traffic on Davidson St.

I think that they DID restrict truck traffic on Davidson St last year. Trucks are now supposed to go up that connector they finished between Davidson St and Matheson.

I'm not sure if it is ticketable to be on Davidson St through the main part of NoDa, but at least they took out a vast majority of the tracks that would go through there following the old truck route.

The rehab of the Fat City building does not portend another reincarnation does it? I did not live here during the Fat City days but have heard some wild stories :w00t: What restaurant is going in there? I also wonder what the final verdict will be on Mecklenburg Mills, mainly whether a section of the rehabbed building will really be allocated to some of the moderate income residents that were evicted or will the whole complex go high end?

^Isn't that the truth! For a while after they closed Fat City, that building was a quasi-flea market. There was some stellar artwork amongst the rubbish that could be had for next to nothing, but some of the reading materials and other... paraphenalia... that was carelessly lying around made me wonder what went on there in its heyday. The stories those walls could tell....

I think there may be some people on here that know better than me, but I was under the impression that Fat City would reopen.....minus K.C.'s second story "love nest".

Originally Fat City was to reopen, but it is not certain at this point. KC is the last person to ask and I definitelyl would not believe anything he said (and I consider him a friend!). If it does reopen I wouldn't expect it to be anything like it was. Without that huge outdoor space it would have just been a cool sandwich shop with cheap drinks. The patio and the space beside and behind it were where all the fun took place (not counting his personal fun upstairs).

I miss Fat City...