NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

13 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I like it for a couple reasons:  1) I've never liked the name NoDa (seems like a corny and contrived attempt to copy SoHo but doesn't roll off your tongue like SoHo does).  I wish they had resurrected the old name, Highland Park, instead of NoDa.  

I once mentioned NoDa to an older guy who'd lived in Cherry his whole life. He looked at me blankly, I explained what area I was talking about, then he said, "oh yeah, North Charlotte!". 

• Like 4

I know someone who grew up in North Charlotte and it is the same place and area as NoDa.   In the Multiple Listing service they call NoDa the Arts District so there are multiple names used.

Unlike what is now called Southend that was a commercial and manufacturing warehouse area with no residents so it did not ruffle any feathers.  Southend proposed by Tony Mecca was just the north end of South Blvd.   This area has lots of residents and long history. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Hold on KJ. My take on the SouthEnd branding was for Tony Pressley to use what was Wilmore and Dilworth. Dilworth was from the tracks east and Wilmore to the west. Park Avenue from Camden to South was the commercial heart of Dilworth for 90+ years. It bothered me when the city allowed branding and sidewalk impression and street signs to say Southend on what I knew to have always been Dilworth. (I have recovered.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I had a friend once say I never have seen a city with creeping neighborhood names and he meant that one street would revitalize and suddenly it has joined the more established neighborhood.  What some call Dilworth and Plaza Midwood I would call something else if you want to be technical about it and look at the legal address.    But even in south Charlotte everyone tells me they live in Ballantyne and I saw where exactly and then I say so you live in Thornhill LOL.  

Toward your point, in the last year or two I've noticed Cherry homes marketed as Myers Park. Which I guess makes sense from a sales standpoint: when I tell Charlotteans where I live, half the time they don't know where Cherry is. But everybody knows about Myers Park.

• Like 1

When I moved to McDonald ave (in Dilworth?) more than 20 years ago, the neighborhood behind me (Iverson, Ideal, Atherton, Marshall., etc.) was known as Sunset Hills. I doubt you can find a single reference to Sunset Hills any longer -- its all Dilworth now.

I had always assumed the modern neighborhood (re)naming process was entirely driven by Real Estate agents. Eager to justify the higher square foot pricing of the adjacent neighborhood, they always put the adjacent, more aspirational, neighborhood name in their listings. So a buyer in what is really Sunset Hills thinks they are purchasing a Dilworth house, and every interaction they have from that point forward serves to reinforce that new manufactured memory and name.  It doesn't take many years for this RE listing process to extinguish a neighborhood name that is less tony than its neighbors.

Nobody cares about the boundaries of the original plats. I'll bet that all of what we now call NoDa is platted as North Charlotte, but people certainly are not going to go back to that name.

1540416_10151808852767610_204955041_o.jp

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

What some call Dilworth and Plaza Midwood I would call something else if you want to be technical about it and look at the legal address. 

Yep.  About half of what people think is Plaza Midwood isn't Plaza Midwood.  Central Avenue divides the neighborhoods of Commonwealth and Plaza Midwood.  North side of Central is Plaza Midwood, south side is Commonwealth.  The Harris Teeter, Soul Gastrolounge,  Central Square, etc., are all in Commonwealth, NOT Plaza Midwood.

• Like 4

So McDonald was originally platted as Southside Land Company.

While I agree there is significant neighborhood creep, mostly due to marketing efforts, I think going back to the original plats is a bit narrow.

I live on a parcel platted from tract of land fully contained within "Dilworth" but originally owned by St John's Church, and my plat denotes a unique name attributable to the church ownership.

There is nothing notably unique other than different entities platted the lots, and therefore required different plat map names.  

Literally taking plat maps to draw neighborhood maps would result in many "micro-neighorhoods" of 5-6 houses that would be equally irrelevant to historical social patterns as to the contemporary mega-hoods that marketing has created.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Someplace in the Lyndhurst/Euclid/McDonald area near the current Olmstead Park, (former baseball park) was a water tower similar to the one in Elizabeth between 7th and 8th. When and why it disappeared I cannot recall.

It was in the Magnolia, McDonald, Euclid block. It was removed around 2003(?) and the lot is now occupied by a condo building.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will this Philemon extension connect all the way through to the other side or will there need to be another to make it fully through?

Its about dang time - seemed like there was a slight fall\drop in active construction sites around NoDa since the Cresent 36st Apartments opened a couple years ago

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 6:22 PM, JacksonH said:

I like it for a couple reasons:  1) I've never liked the name NoDa (seems like a corny and contrived attempt to copy SoHo but doesn't roll off your tongue like SoHo does).  I wish they had resurrected the old name, Highland Park, instead of NoDa.  2)  I think Villa Heights, Belmont and Optimist Park are good names, but being so close to one another it probably confuses people as to which is which.  And Mill District  defines the area as a whole very well given its historic purpose, so I like it.

It doesn't need to roll off the tongue necessarily right? It's been dubbed NoDa since as far back as 1998 for sure. 23yrs is a long time. Losing Fat City STILL hurts, LEAVE NoDa be!!

4 hours ago, Skyybutter said:

It doesn't need to roll off the tongue necessarily right? It's been dubbed NoDa since as far back as 1998 for sure. 23yrs is a long time. Losing Fat City STILL hurts, LEAVE NoDa be!!

Yep, it's been called NoDa for a long time now but time has not caused me to grow to like the name.  It seemed corny and contrived to me then and it still does.  I would be thrilled if it were changed back to Highland Park.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I would be thrilled if it were changed back to Highland Park.

A problem with that - only a small part of present-day NoDa could have been considered Highland Park. That was the textile company, and their village adjacent to the HP #3 is the only area for which that name applies. Further up there was a Mecklenburg Mills village.

The whole area was known at the time as North Charlotte. That's what people called it from before the start of the 20th century, and some still use that name.  That would be a good name to revive, but it's probably confusing for non-locals since it's not very "north" geographically - and with the North End name picking up steam.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slipperypete said:

A problem with that - only a small part of present-day NoDa could have been considered Highland Park. That was the textile company, and their village adjacent to the HP #3 is the only area for which that name applies. Further up there was a Mecklenburg Mills village.

The whole area was known at the time as North Charlotte. That's what people called it from before the start of the 20th century, and some still use that name.  That would be a good name to revive, but it's probably confusing for non-locals since it's not very "north" geographically - and with the North End name picking up steam.

Yes. I realize Highland Park was not the name of the whole area at that time, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be now.  The name has a historical connection to at least part of what was known as  North Charlotte.  And the name North Charlotte itself would be confusing now because that area now is more central Charlotte than north Charlotte.

6 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Yes. I realize Highland Park was not the name of the whole area at that time, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be now.  The name has a historical connection to at least part of what was known as  North Charlotte.  And the name North Charlotte itself would be confusing now because that area now is more central Charlotte than north Charlotte.

Now north Charlotte is Highland Creek!

• Haha 2