NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

• 3 weeks later...

I have a geek appreciation for the fact the developer provided micro maps with the positioning of each building on every billboard. Terrific.

My immediate (minor) deflation is that it looks like that curve in Raleigh Street remains; I've always hoped the city and/or whoever developed the area would straighten it--as the bridge rises (obvi) as it approaches the tracks, there's actually more clearance for the street if it's shifted slightly south underneath the bridge, to the other side of the initial pilings. At least according to the micro maps, the curve is staying. I know modern street design favors curves every so often for traffic calming and driver alertness, but I still favor straight streets within block-long segments, especially nearer a city's center. IMO it just provides a more legitimate 'city' feel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Damn, the telegraph is blowing up today:

https://charlotte.axios.com/260506/ymca-charlotte-is-considering-redeveloping-johnston-y-site/

YMCA of Greater Charlotte is “formally exploring redevelopment on the site” of the Johnston Y in NoDa, the organization confirmed with Axios Charlotte Wednesday.

What’s happening: Over the last 10-15 years, the local YMCA has engaged with the community to determine the best use for the 5.8 acres the Johnston Y occupies, YMCA spokesperson Heather Briganti told me.

“Our current building, built in 1951, does not serve current market expectations for flow and function, and has a growing list of deferred maintenance needs,” Briganti said.

[no other details about plans in the article]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, kermit said:

Damn, the telegraph is blowing up today:

https://charlotte.axios.com/260506/ymca-charlotte-is-considering-redeveloping-johnston-y-site/

[no other details about plans in the article]

I have long hoped a developer would work with the YMCA  to develop the space occupied by that big YMCA parking lot; specifically, build a parking deck for the YMCA members, and in front of it, new street-facing retail buildings (with maybe some residential above).  But now with the YMCA moving out altogether (if that's the plan), hopefully something similarly ambitious can be done with the parking area while repurposing the beautiful mill building (I assume it used to be a mill).  I hope, though, that there will still be a gym somewhere in the neighborhood.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

I have long hoped a developer would work with the YMCA  to develop the space occupied by that big YMCA parking lot; specifically, build a parking deck for the YMCA members, and in front of it, new street-facing retail buildings (with maybe some residential above).  But now with the YMCA moving out altogether (if that's the plan), hopefully something similarly ambitious can be done with the parking area while repurposing the beautiful mill building (I assume it used to be a mill).  I hope, though, that there will still be a gym somewhere in the neighborhood.

It was actually a church. The YMCA and the United Methodist (on 36th) swapped buildings back in the day

• Like 1

I have long hoped the Johnston Y *property* would be re-developed--but of course I don't want to see the facility leave the neighborhood, or even those two parcels.

I know it's not actually historic and is just a 1950s repro, but I wish they would demolish all the supporting buildings except the main structure, and then build a series of new buildings enveloping it, including to the left and right of the portico--and hopefully saving that gigantic oak--basically creating a cool (maybe literally, in the summer) courtyard from Davidson, like the one they're creating at Vantage South End. There's MORE than enough surface area to build a few large or several mid-sized buildings. 

A smaller, separate building to the left of the courtyard could be a nice opportunity to do something on a smaller scale, and then the building(s) to the right and behind could be Y-based on the ground level with a multitude of uses above.  

Again, I know it's a reproduction and faux "classy," but I think the main Y building is nice enough to try and save, and adds a bit of variety along that stretch of Davidson.

• Like 3

I use the Johnston 3-4 times a week and if they decide to raze it I won't miss the building at all.  Having used many of the other Ys, the Johnston has got to be one of the worst equipped with the fewest amenities and this is after a mild upgrade in 2019.  With that said it's still functional and serves the community fairly well so I'm hoping they figure out a better use than being a giant unofficial parking lot for Cabo Fish Taco. 

Electric Park-Thanks @JHart!  Reads like Dilworth with same "end of the line" with park and small lake with amenities, boating and such as in the original Latta Park. Latta had a larger pavilion than today and band shell and the usual entertainments available for a 5¢ trolley ride for Sunday amusement. 

On 6/3/2021 at 10:17 AM, ertley said:

I have long hoped the Johnston Y *property* would be re-developed--but of course I don't want to see the facility leave the neighborhood, or even those two parcels.

I know it's not actually historic and is just a 1950s repro, but I wish they would demolish all the supporting buildings except the main structure, and then build a series of new buildings enveloping it, including to the left and right of the portico--and hopefully saving that gigantic oak--basically creating a cool (maybe literally, in the summer) courtyard from Davidson, like the one they're creating at Vantage South End. There's MORE than enough surface area to build a few large or several mid-sized buildings. 

A smaller, separate building to the left of the courtyard could be a nice opportunity to do something on a smaller scale, and then the building(s) to the right and behind could be Y-based on the ground level with a multitude of uses above.  

Again, I know it's a reproduction and faux "classy," but I think the main Y building is nice enough to try and save, and adds a bit of variety along that stretch of Davidson.

I think it looks nice, so certainly hope it can be incorporated into a better design. Not sure the scope of renovations that gym will need.

• Like 1

Y'all, I must not be with it, because that Johnston YMCA is the most beautiful Y I have ever seen. 

Up until Covid I've used that Y several times a week for years and I don't care that it is less equipped; it has the nostalgic feel of every old church annex building I've ever been in, and have you even SEEN the rooms upstairs used for classes? The old fireplace/mantle is GORGEOUS and adds to the experience so well.

Not to mention the front courtyard is the most perfect, reliable place to relax in the whole City (and feels integrated with the neighborhood).

If the front courtyard/tree and main entrance facade are not kept in this redevelopment, I don't know if my heart can take it. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

Howe Acres and Shannon Park may be seeing RE listings calling them NoDa before I finish typing this. I suspect that Plaza-Shamrock may have a solid enough identity that RE agents would hold on to that. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Do you guys think there will ever be meaningful office construction in NoDa?  I never thought we'd see the scale of office construction in South End, but here we are with about 2 million SF under construction or in the pipeline.  NoDa to me seems like it would be well-positioned for office one day, but not sure what you guys think.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, cltheel.sdl said:

Do you guys think there will ever be meaningful office construction in NoDa?  I never thought we'd see the scale of office construction in South End, but here we are with about 2 million SF under construction or in the pipeline.  NoDa to me seems like it would be well-positioned for office one day, but not sure what you guys think.

I never thought there would be class A office in Southend either. I don't anticipate the same sort of high-rise office in NoDa due to poorer highway access. But I do think that lots of boutiquey office along Brevard is inevitable. Chadbourn and Duke Power at Optimist Hall (and Camp Northend outside the neighborhood) being the models for this.

While I think it is far fetched now, I can imagine a high(ish) rise office district develop around Sugar Creek Station eventually.

If the mega-railyard-park ever gets built then ignore all of the above.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

I think NoDa's headwind in office space is accessibility by car unfortunately. The area is relatively far from highways. If I had to guess, office projects will happen way sooner in the Brevard Street corridor and Sugar Creek BLE station area due to their accessibility by LR and Car.     

** I should have refreshed before posting this, @kermit posted basically the same thing just 14 hours earlier!

Edited by InTheYear2000
Note
  • Like 1