Jump to content

NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, slipperypete said:

A problem with that - only a small part of present-day NoDa could have been considered Highland Park. That was the textile company, and their village adjacent to the HP #3 is the only area for which that name applies. Further up there was a Mecklenburg Mills village.

The whole area was known at the time as North Charlotte. That's what people called it from before the start of the 20th century, and some still use that name.  That would be a good name to revive, but it's probably confusing for non-locals since it's not very "north" geographically - and with the North End name picking up steam.

Yes. I realize Highland Park was not the name of the whole area at that time, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be now.  The name has a historical connection to at least part of what was known as  North Charlotte.  And the name North Charlotte itself would be confusing now because that area now is more central Charlotte than north Charlotte.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warning: Big post Today I was able to get some shots of NoDa from an angle most people don't ever see. I thought I'd share.  The heart.  Going north.  If not for the tr

Obligatory this is a big post. My job allowed me to be able to go inside the old Johnston Mill. I'm not an engineer so take my observations for what it's worth, but I thought it looked ok inside.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Yes. I realize Highland Park was not the name of the whole area at that time, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be now.  The name has a historical connection to at least part of what was known as  North Charlotte.  And the name North Charlotte itself would be confusing now because that area now is more central Charlotte than north Charlotte.

Now north Charlotte is Highland Creek!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Now north Charlotte is Highland Creek!

Haha. And I didn't even know about that neighborhood until just now.  It didn't exist when I lived in Charlotte, but it will when I return.  :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a geek appreciation for the fact the developer provided micro maps with the positioning of each building on every billboard. Terrific.

My immediate (minor) deflation is that it looks like that curve in Raleigh Street remains; I've always hoped the city and/or whoever developed the area would straighten it--as the bridge rises (obvi) as it approaches the tracks, there's actually more clearance for the street if it's shifted slightly south underneath the bridge, to the other side of the initial pilings. At least according to the micro maps, the curve is staying. I know modern street design favors curves every so often for traffic calming and driver alertness, but I still favor straight streets within block-long segments, especially nearer a city's center. IMO it just provides a more legitimate 'city' feel. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, the telegraph is blowing up today:

https://charlotte.axios.com/260506/ymca-charlotte-is-considering-redeveloping-johnston-y-site/

Quote

YMCA of Greater Charlotte is “formally exploring redevelopment on the site” of the Johnston Y in NoDa, the organization confirmed with Axios Charlotte Wednesday.

What’s happening: Over the last 10-15 years, the local YMCA has engaged with the community to determine the best use for the 5.8 acres the Johnston Y occupies, YMCA spokesperson Heather Briganti told me.

“Our current building, built in 1951, does not serve current market expectations for flow and function, and has a growing list of deferred maintenance needs,” Briganti said.

[no other details about plans in the article]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, kermit said:

Damn, the telegraph is blowing up today:

https://charlotte.axios.com/260506/ymca-charlotte-is-considering-redeveloping-johnston-y-site/

[no other details about plans in the article]

I have long hoped a developer would work with the YMCA  to develop the space occupied by that big YMCA parking lot; specifically, build a parking deck for the YMCA members, and in front of it, new street-facing retail buildings (with maybe some residential above).  But now with the YMCA moving out altogether (if that's the plan), hopefully something similarly ambitious can be done with the parking area while repurposing the beautiful mill building (I assume it used to be a mill).  I hope, though, that there will still be a gym somewhere in the neighborhood.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

I have long hoped a developer would work with the YMCA  to develop the space occupied by that big YMCA parking lot; specifically, build a parking deck for the YMCA members, and in front of it, new street-facing retail buildings (with maybe some residential above).  But now with the YMCA moving out altogether (if that's the plan), hopefully something similarly ambitious can be done with the parking area while repurposing the beautiful mill building (I assume it used to be a mill).  I hope, though, that there will still be a gym somewhere in the neighborhood.

It was actually a church. The YMCA and the United Methodist (on 36th) swapped buildings back in the day

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JHart said:

It was actually a church. The YMCA and the United Methodist (on 36th) swapped buildings back in the day

Oh wow, how interesting.  Looks like it could be a high school building.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Oh wow, how interesting.  Looks like it could be a high school building.

APZNZA~1.PDF

Here is a fun article from the local Noda News about the Electric Park in Noda that was traded for the current YMCA building back in 1952.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have long hoped the Johnston Y *property* would be re-developed--but of course I don't want to see the facility leave the neighborhood, or even those two parcels.

I know it's not actually historic and is just a 1950s repro, but I wish they would demolish all the supporting buildings except the main structure, and then build a series of new buildings enveloping it, including to the left and right of the portico--and hopefully saving that gigantic oak--basically creating a cool (maybe literally, in the summer) courtyard from Davidson, like the one they're creating at Vantage South End. There's MORE than enough surface area to build a few large or several mid-sized buildings. 

A smaller, separate building to the left of the courtyard could be a nice opportunity to do something on a smaller scale, and then the building(s) to the right and behind could be Y-based on the ground level with a multitude of uses above.  

Again, I know it's a reproduction and faux "classy," but I think the main Y building is nice enough to try and save, and adds a bit of variety along that stretch of Davidson.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the Johnston 3-4 times a week and if they decide to raze it I won't miss the building at all.  Having used many of the other Ys, the Johnston has got to be one of the worst equipped with the fewest amenities and this is after a mild upgrade in 2019.  With that said it's still functional and serves the community fairly well so I'm hoping they figure out a better use than being a giant unofficial parking lot for Cabo Fish Taco. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Electric Park-Thanks @JHart!  Reads like Dilworth with same "end of the line" with park and small lake with amenities, boating and such as in the original Latta Park. Latta had a larger pavilion than today and band shell and the usual entertainments available for a 5¢ trolley ride for Sunday amusement. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2021 at 10:17 AM, ertley said:

I have long hoped the Johnston Y *property* would be re-developed--but of course I don't want to see the facility leave the neighborhood, or even those two parcels.

I know it's not actually historic and is just a 1950s repro, but I wish they would demolish all the supporting buildings except the main structure, and then build a series of new buildings enveloping it, including to the left and right of the portico--and hopefully saving that gigantic oak--basically creating a cool (maybe literally, in the summer) courtyard from Davidson, like the one they're creating at Vantage South End. There's MORE than enough surface area to build a few large or several mid-sized buildings. 

A smaller, separate building to the left of the courtyard could be a nice opportunity to do something on a smaller scale, and then the building(s) to the right and behind could be Y-based on the ground level with a multitude of uses above.  

Again, I know it's a reproduction and faux "classy," but I think the main Y building is nice enough to try and save, and adds a bit of variety along that stretch of Davidson.

I think it looks nice, so certainly hope it can be incorporated into a better design. Not sure the scope of renovations that gym will need.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'all, I must not be with it, because that Johnston YMCA is the most beautiful Y I have ever seen. 

Up until Covid I've used that Y several times a week for years and I don't care that it is less equipped; it has the nostalgic feel of every old church annex building I've ever been in, and have you even SEEN the rooms upstairs used for classes? The old fireplace/mantle is GORGEOUS and adds to the experience so well.

Not to mention the front courtyard is the most perfect, reliable place to relax in the whole City (and feels integrated with the neighborhood).


If the front courtyard/tree and main entrance facade are not kept in this redevelopment, I don't know if my heart can take it. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Howe Acres and Shannon Park may be seeing RE listings calling them NoDa before I finish typing this. I suspect that Plaza-Shamrock may have a solid enough identity that RE agents would hold on to that. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you guys think there will ever be meaningful office construction in NoDa?  I never thought we'd see the scale of office construction in South End, but here we are with about 2 million SF under construction or in the pipeline.  NoDa to me seems like it would be well-positioned for office one day, but not sure what you guys think.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.