NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I don’t have a great view from the BLE but it looks like there is site work underway along Philemon. Some new fencing is up and an excavator was working on a drainage project. Could be Philemon extension, could be greenway? Could be both?

Edit: this afternoon it looks more like phase 2 of the apartments.

Edited by kermit

• 3 weeks later...

I am not promoting this petition but just wanted to show you how that Centro apartment building is described on 36th St.  

Petition · Resist massive apartment complex in NoDa's historic residential district · Change.org

""The new complex, like a high-priced dorm, has the potential to increase traffic, sanitation problems, noise, flooding, and crime. ""

Hmm how is all this increased density going to work in transit friendly neighborhoods if this is the response?   How many actually attended that church I think the most recent occupant was a branch of Forest Hills Church?  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

16 hours ago, kermit said:

The city really needs to establish that NIMBY BS related to density will not be taken seriously in areas adjacent to high capacity transit (said as a resident of one of those areas). To be fair, its just an online petition, and since the apartments are by right in that location the petition is pointless.

It would be a much better use of their time to protest the provision of parking in this complex (and places like the East/West office tower).

The protest is actually a very small vocal group of people that primarily live on the adjacent 37th street and a bunch of people who don't mind signing any given petition that smites big bad developers. I don't see any of this stopping the development of that lot. It looks to me like they have a clear and logical argument for rezoning. I haven't been around enough of these applications in Charlotte, would previous rezoning applications have a precedential impact on this one?  It's roughly a quarter mile from the 36th station, that would fit into the TOD stance right?  

Edited by InTheYear2000
grammar
  • Like 4

As I see it, developer makes out, millennials make out, 36st St Station becomes a big station like East West Station.  County makes out as churches as I understand it are not taxed but the apartment building will certainly be.  More money for the county.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, rancenc said:

Death, Taxes and a UP complaint about retail.. but seriously 2800sqft of retail in that huge site?

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, tarwater said:

I know nothing about real estate but I would guess that building retail is more profitable than housing, assuming there's market demand for both? Am I wrong? Why do developers seem so reluctant?

Generally, It's more difficult to finance retail in the current environment(not enough to make it completely untenable, just more difficult). Outside  of that, I'd guess there are probably some details about the NoDa area that don't fit cleanly into a model that would prioritize retail.

26 minutes ago, InTheYear2000 said:

Outside  of that, I'd guess there are probably some details about the NoDa area that don't fit cleanly into a model that would prioritize retail.

Any non-local checking the consumer demographics of NoDa will see a gawdawful market area (due to the demographics of residents on the other side of Tryon and Sugar Creek and relatively low densities in NoDa proper). These numbers are going to change rapidly as the gentrification of N Tryon continues at breakneck speed, but potential retail investors from out of town are unlikely to see that (and/or not want to wait for that change).

Add to that difficult road access to the area for suburbanites and the finance modeling folks will only see potential money pits in NoDa retail. (I doubt there is a transit variable in their models)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

New rental townhomes coming to NoDa behind Chadbourne Mill at N Brevard and Charles Ave.

""Illinois-based AHC Charles has plans for luxury rental townhomes in NoDa.  AHC Charles — an affiliate of AHC Funds, a private equity real estate fund — has snapped up roughly 1.3 acres at North Brevard Street and Charles Avenue. It paid just over $3 million for the property. AHC aims to provide walkability and convenience of Class A   towers — with added features such as private entries, two-car garages, dedicated office spaces, gourmet kitchens, separate living and sleeping quarters and private outdoor space.  Plans call for the NoDa rentals to be similar to AHC’s The Collection in Dallas.  The first townhomes are slated to deliver in the second half of 2022.""

AHC Funds affiliate plans luxury rental townhomes in NoDa - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

here are their rental townhomes in Dallas and if they look like this they will do fine in NoDa.

Home - The Collection Dallas Luxury Townhomes For Rent

• Like 3

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

the neighborhood is in an UPROAR   now about a 5 story apartment building proposed on 36th St. next to the NoDa Mercury apartments.  

Are you talking about this project (Axios link) that someone decided to go full NIMBY about on the r/Charlotte subreddit because they were cutting down the trees?  (At least that's my ungracious reading of their concerns.)

Edited by TGIBridays