NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

New Grubb Properties Link apartments and the new apartments at Johnston Mill right by 36th St station today.  Clearing out the rest of the buildings at 36th and N Tryon for Avery Hall apartment complex with possible grocery store.  The Tryon side NoDa is about to explode with multiple apartment complexes and the new Amelie's and a new class A office building. 

IMG_7166.JPG

IMG_7165.JPG

IMG_7164.JPG

IMG_7163.JPG

IMG_7160.JPG

Amazing photos.  What do you guys think?  Are we doing center city resurgence better than our sunbelt peers like Austin, Nashville, Dallas, etc,, doing it way better, or are we more just keeping pace with everyone, or maybe still trying to catch up?  Total truth is fine...i can handle it.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/11/2021 at 1:14 AM, JacksonH said:

Oh boo hoo.   They expect sympathy over that while at the same time they're watching their net worth soar?  I was watching a recent city council meeting where someone in Villa Heights  was complaining about an old retail building near his house that's being refurbished and revitalized as a sandwich shop.  He was concerned that his family might smell food.  Unbelievable.  I live less than a block from a couple restaurants.  I sometimes smell food.  Never once have I thought of that as a negative.  And realtors keep sending me letters asking to buy my house.

The entitlement people have is out of this world.

Do you know where said sandwich spot is going?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desert Power said:

The entitlement people have is out of this world.

Do you know where said sandwich spot is going?

Sorry, I don't recall the location.  It might actually be Belmont.  I looked it up on Google while they were discussing it.  It's a small stand-alone building on a corner.  I remember them saying that the building had had a number of uses over the years, including most recently being a yoga studio.  Maybe someone here knows the place I'm referring to.  And to be fair, I just remembered that that guy also said he was concerned that having a food establishment that close to his home might invite rats.

Edited by JacksonH

19 hours ago, RANYC said:

What do you guys think?  Are we doing center city resurgence better than our sunbelt peers like Austin, Nashville, Dallas, etc,, doing it way better, or are we more just keeping pace with everyone, or maybe still trying to catch up?  Total truth is fine...i can handle it.

Its a good question/ Honestly I have not spent enough time in places like Nashville and Dallas in the past few years to be able to say (but I'll do it anyway).

What I will offer is our 'urban resurgence" (for lack of a better phrase) has done a good job of creating entirely new neighborhoods where none existed before (Southend and Gateway (sorta)) and improving some existing neighborhoods which were charming but small and had limited options for entertainment (NoDa, Plaza Midwood and Third Ward). I think that the explosion of multifamily in these places has generally made them better (granted,  this improvement came at the cost of some pretty important old-school amenities).

My impression of places like Raleigh Nashville and Dallas is most of the 'urban resurgence' has been focused on the center city area (and maybe an industrial patch or two like the Gulch, Warehouse District and Southside) and they have seen a bit less of the inner-neighborhood fleshing out than we have. I guess another way to frame this is our center city livability investments have largely been disappointing to me (with the Bearden Park area being the exception).

So, I guess my half-assed opinion is that we may be doing a better job of expanding our inner ring neighborhoods, but less well at improving the center city. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Sorry, I don't recall the location.  It might actually be Belmont.  I looked it up on Google while they were discussing it.  It's a small stand-alone building on a corner.  I remember them saying that the building had had a number of uses over the years, including most recently being a yoga studio.  Maybe someone here knows the place I'm referring to.  And to be fair, I just remembered that that guy also said he was concerned that having a food establishment that close to his home might invite rats.

Its in NoDa the old sodashop.

Edited by TheRealClayton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2021 at 4:26 PM, kermit said:

Its a good question/ Honestly I have not spent enough time in places like Nashville and Dallas in the past few years to be able to say (but I'll do it anyway).

What I will offer is our 'urban resurgence" (for lack of a better phrase) has done a good job of creating entirely new neighborhoods where none existed before (Southend and Gateway (sorta)) and improving some existing neighborhoods which were charming but small and had limited options for entertainment (NoDa, Plaza Midwood and Third Ward). I think that the explosion of multifamily in these places has generally made them better (granted,  this improvement came at the cost of some pretty important old-school amenities).

My impression of places like Raleigh Nashville and Dallas is most of the 'urban resurgence' has been focused on the center city area (and maybe an industrial patch or two like the Gulch, Warehouse District and Southside) and they have seen a bit less of the inner-neighborhood fleshing out than we have. I guess another way to frame this is our center city livability investments have largely been disappointing to me (with the Bearden Park area being the exception).

So, I guess my half-assed opinion is that we may be doing a better job of expanding our inner ring neighborhoods, but less well at improving the center city. 

Nashville is certainly "beating" us when it comes to nightlife/restaurants, while we are winning the commercial real estate and transportation battle.

Dallas to me is 20 years ahead of us, but rather bland. Its downtown has a few good things going for it, but most of its growth is only in Uptown.  The DFW metroplex is massive, but as for the city of Dallas itself, Charlotte could be able to catch up in the next 15 years in terms of development. We need to continue to develop high quality locally owned restaurants, we are behind our peers.

• Like 4

On 12/11/2021 at 8:29 PM, RANYC said:

Amazing photos.  What do you guys think?  Are we doing center city resurgence better than our sunbelt peers like Austin, Nashville, Dallas, etc,, doing it way better, or are we more just keeping pace with everyone, or maybe still trying to catch up?  Total truth is fine...i can handle it.

My vote is waaaayyyy better.  In fact, all of NC's major cities.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Wow, far down at the end of Raleigh street. Hey, walkable to Sugar Creek station at least. 

It'll be a rough location for a while but it's near the LR as you mentioned and the relocated Manor Theater.  If flywheel ends up building out all of their planed development, buying there in the low 400s will result in big gains.  

3 hours ago, InTheYear2000 said:

It'll be a rough location for a while but it's near the LR as you mentioned and the relocated Manor Theater.  If flywheel ends up building out all of their planed development, buying there in the low 400s will result in big gains.  

Third & Urban purchased much of Flywheel's properties FYI and have big plans. I wouldn't call it an "if" any more, and there's currently a big parking deck under construction over there.

3 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

And not a single picture of NoDa in the images for this development :tw_joy:

Of all the places to feature, Peculiar Rabbit, whoever is positioning this has never been to Charlotte

Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 1.03.32 PM.png

Edited by TheRealClayton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheRealClayton said:

Third & Urban purchased much of Flywheel's properties FYI and have big plans. I wouldn't call it an "if" any more, and there's currently a big parking deck under construction over there.

Oh that's great news. Right now many of those lots are being used for Tractor Trailer parking which is a wonderful use of land adjacent to a station on our multi-billion dollar transit line.

To me, this location is an easier sell than the lower tuck and they've done an awesome job with that project. Looking forward to seeing what materializes.   

Edited by InTheYear2000
  • Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 12:52 PM, Madison Parkitect said:

LOL that they say it's "in the center" of NoDa's action when it's a two-mile, 40-minute walk (half of it on 6-lane Tryon) to the Neighborhood theater, the closest edge of NoDa's action.

It's really unfortunate there is no crossover of the railroad tracks between Sugar Creek Station and 36th street since they have closed Craighead.

• Like 3