NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

30 minutes ago, san said:

Is Flywheel no longer going forward with their Sugar Creek station plans anymore?

I don't think anyone should have considered them "plans." They own it, and are marketing it. If someone comes forward with a ton of capital to burn they will partner. If someone comes to them and would like to purchase the land, they sell. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

50 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Little more follow up with that Centro apartment rezoning.  Please send good vibes to council and show your support for building an urban and walkable city.  

On Tuesday city council approved a project in NoDa that was pretty controversial. It was controversial not because a majority of people didn't like it, but because a very vocal minority didn't want to see their neighborhood change. Through every step of the process the developer worked to meet demands, and the neighborhood just pushed the goal line further away. They made social media accounts that used outdated graphics to push narratives, they had articles published that claimed no action was being taken by the developer to appease their wishes, and contradicted themselves at every turn.  They added trees, took away a pool, stepped down the building but still opposition. 

Now the project is fully approved and that vocal minority is likely putting council through the ringer. It's not fun getting bullied by people who are afraid of change, and this kind of negative outreach could give pause to council members looking to approve similar projects in the future, keeping us from pushing a more urban and progressive city. 

Centro NoDa is the kind of project we want in Charlotte. It's parked 1:1, it has significant amount of retail for small businesses, it contributes to a vibrant streetscape, its dense, but not too dense, it uses its setbacks to step away from single family housing, and perhaps most importantly provides mixed income options for people that don't have a lot, and don't want a lot. This is the future of urban living in the City of Charlotte

Here are the email addresses, please email and show your support for their decision!
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Well said.

• Like 3

funny thing is that over in Greenway thread they were talking about neighbors stopping a greenway connection near their neighborhood off Carmel Rd and these people wanted to stop and now harassing city council over the decision for this apartment building that is on a busy street 36th and is walkable to light rail. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, jf430 said:

The neighborhood is losing one of the most historic fields of raw dog sewage around.  Can't believe Council let this happen.

that is no joke as several people told me that as it was considered the neighborhood dog park but it was on private property. 

• Like 3

On 1/20/2022 at 12:42 PM, KJHburg said:

They added trees, took away a pool, stepped down the building but still opposition.

Added trees?   Apparently  no trees will do unless it's 60 year-old willow trees.

https://www.wcnc.com/amp/article/news/local/neighbors-noda-advocating-tree-canopy-redevelopment/275-937c0093-0592-41b7-847e-9d3e4c21a332

• Like 1

To me this is much more reasonable than a bunch of NIMBYs getting upset because their make-shift dog poop field was getting developed. I can actually imagine the developer compromising on this whereas I am not at all surprised the full on NIMBYs failed to get their way 

I applaud this couple for fighting for trees. I love that there’s that kind of energy and advocacy in this city.  I’m pleased more units are coming to NODA, but you can have density and canopy, and it’s neighborhood interest like this that makes developers accommodate better balances.  Our massive trees are sacred gems in my opinion, and while I want responsible density, we should be going out of our way to protect our natural monuments, including their root systems.  Given the clear-cutting I’ve seen developers doing around town, these NODA activists have every right to give ‘em hell.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

I agree that its great they fought for trees.

But the trees were barely mentioned in most of the meetings, I was there. People, including ones with million dollar new build houses, were there acting like they were getting displaced by these apartments.  Admittedly I wrote KJ's post and just didn't want to get tied to it, because I get so much heat on social media sometimes. But I'm feeling emboldened by the jerks that are DMing me, so here are some of the arguments that were given:

1. People drive too fast on this road, it'll just be more people driving too fast on this road. (this building will require adding traffic calming and stop signs/lights)
2. Nobody stops in NoDa, why would anyone want to live here, why would anyone want to shop here.
3. We want no more retail, build this 3 stories and take out the retail.
4. Only build single family housing, this will make it too expensive to live in NoDa. (Meanwhile single family housing on these properties would be around $1M, and will drastically increase prices in the neighborhood)
5. the TNT that will be used on site will cause my foundation to crumble (no TNT on site)
6. Dogs will poop everywhere. (so developer offers to build dog park), ew, dogs will poop in the dog park. Meanwhile dogs poop all over what's there now.
7. This will cause too much Traffic (from the person who said number 2 and number 1)
8. We will live perpetually in shade. 
9. But the trees provide so much shade.
10 . We don't want young people in this neighborhood.
11. Let the church handle this, it should be their choice. (This literally is the church's choice, and their best opportunity to make money and save their congregation)
12. This building has too much parking. 
13. This building doesn't have enough parking and people will park on the street.
14. This building needs to fit into the character of the neighborhood, if its tall, it must look like a tall mill house.

NIMBYS. 

OK, yes the assertions in those DMs are ridiculous.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

In the late 1970's there was movement to establish an historic neighborhood designation for Dilworth in Charlotte. A definitive architectural survey was commissioned and submitted. Hearings were held. Community meetings for ideas and to gauge interest occurred. There was a tension between those in favor and those against. Many properties at the time were absentee owners. Those in the affluent curvilinear area were (mostly) resistant to anything limiting their property rights. Then Murray Whisnant, an otherwise competent architect designed this:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/434+E+Park+Ave,+Charlotte,+NC+28203/@35.2112193,-80.8522954,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sb7jYFTnAyHDoakdfCkzjtA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!4m5!3m4!1s0x88569f82f1319eb1:0x91b20982476b0602!8m2!3d35.211008!4d-80.852535

Two lots at a corner of Park Avenue and Lyndhurst became seven ski chalet style condos, one for himself. At that instant everyone realized it could happen at any place in the neighborhood and the designation opposition melted. Thus the Dilworth Historic District we have today.

It may be just possible for someone to buy these condos today, or soon, and remake that corner. 

Thanks for the story about those condos.  I rented on E Park Ave for a year and walked my dog by those almost daily on the way to Latta Park.  Always thought they seemed out of place for the neighborhood.

3 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Thanks for the story about those condos.  I rented on E Park Ave for a year and walked my dog by those almost daily on the way to Latta Park.  Always thought they seemed out of place for the neighborhood.

Hugely off topic so please don't respond but in the middle of LA on a nondescript street sits this house (with a macabre history to go with it):sowdenfronthigh_andrew_pielage-1-h_2019.thumb.jpg.d0e852f2a7076861973af9a8caeaa0ea.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sowden_House

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

It may be just possible for someone to buy these condos today, or soon, and remake that corner. 

People live there currently. One was for sale about 3 years ago that I looked at because it was the only chance to live near Latta Park for less than $1M. Funky little condos with some cool character, but unfortunately suffering from the same fate as many HOA condos; depleted funds that pay for lawn maintenance only with no reserves. The unit had sold twice in the previous 7 years and each time had listed "new roof coming!" I asked the neighbors and they said they had to pay for individual roof repairs and internal damage from constant leaks on their units because the special assessment could never pass..