NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Anyone have the details on an Apartment Complex being built directly at the Sugar Creek Station Lightrail Stop?  Also - How about the three (3) Story Steel Framed Building close to the Old Concord Rd Station?  I think it’s right at Eastway & N. Tryon.  All this is LightRail spurred development?

4 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

- How about the three (3) Story Steel Framed Building close to the Old Concord Rd Station?  I think it’s right at Eastway & N. Tryon.  All this is LightRail spurred development?

It’s a storage building / office space for the library IIRC.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, norm21499 said:

I wonder which mural was supposed to be the correct one to paint over? 

The Mural on the other side of the building by the Fire House/Station. It's an advertisement just like this one was initially (Stella Artois) until they converted it to the lotus version that was mistakenly painted over yesterday. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating read in today's Charlotte Ledger on January's vote to approve the controversial rezoning on 36th Street for micro-apartments and ground-floor retail.

The initial vote by Council referred the issue back to the Zoning Committee, and then 30 minutes later, Victoria Watlington called for a revote allowing the Council to go ahead and just vote on the matter.

Apparently, Larston Egleston, who represents NODA, was behind the scenes texting fellow councilmembers about his disgust at the initial vote.  

Councilmember Greg Phipps came out looking like a really stand-up guy in the article.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, JBS said:

Regarding the park, I respectfully disagree. I referenced the NFL stadium because the costs are similar (which you confirmed), albeit the park wouldn't have a billionaire funding a third of the cost. That said, the park would be a multi-generational treasure and accessible to ALL Charlotteans (and not a monument to a billionaire's ego) . Spreading that throughout the city would not have the same impact. Adding a Fairmont Park, Balboa Park, Millennium Park, etc., to Charlotte would be well worth the cost. No great city would sell their best park for $2B so we shouldn't hesitate to invest a similar amount to build one here. 

I agree.  Not to mention the density this would encourage.  I imagine there would be a ton of condo's surrounding the park.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JBS said:

Regarding Flywheel, you are of course correct. I love their ideas but so far none of what excited me has actually developed. 

Regarding the park, I respectfully disagree. I referenced the NFL stadium because the costs are similar (which you confirmed), albeit the park wouldn't have a billionaire funding a third of the cost. That said, the park would be a multi-generational treasure and accessible to ALL Charlotteans (and not a monument to a billionaire's ego) . Spreading that throughout the city would not have the same impact. Adding a Fairmont Park, Balboa Park, Millennium Park, etc., to Charlotte would be well worth the cost. No great city would sell their best park for $2B so we shouldn't hesitate to invest a similar amount to build one here. 

I'm totally in agreement with you on this.  I just got back from Balboa Park, and can never go there without thinking "if only Charlotte had something like this."  It is an absolute treasure that is always pulsating with activity.  People come there from all over the city.  I wish Charlotte city leaders would come check it out and see what an important asset it is to the city.  I lived in the DC area before and can't imagine DC without Rock Creek Park.  It's something the people of DC would never give up.  I also lived in Phoenix, which had no great park.  I couldn't stand living there.

2 hours ago, nuthinberger said:

I agree.  Not to mention the density this would encourage.  I imagine there would be a ton of condo's surrounding the park.  

Indeed, as there are along the border of Balboa Park.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Thanks 1

If you’re going to dream, dream big! And especially when thinking about parks in the relative center of a boom town, think long term. The park in my hometown (Gypsy Hill Park, Staunton, VA) is probably larger than the rail yard, and has so many uses, it really is a jewel. There’s a miniature railroad that is a memory maker for kids of all ages- I imagine the current owners could do the same here on a much grander scale, charge a buck a ride and probably make a killing. Little league fields, a bandshell or two, ponds with ducks, playgrounds, a public pool- hell, Gypsy Hill has an 18-hole golf course, a winding road with a 10 mph speed limit so even drivers can enjoy the sights. Queens Park could be truly amazing if we dream big and think long term. Once the land is gone, it’s gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1