Jump to content

NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects


uptownliving

Recommended Posts


9 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

What are the odds that Queens Park could happen? Has this been the subject of actual discussion by the city?

Nothing can happen until Norfolk Southern decides they might want to sell. They don’t currently want to sell and there is no way to compel them to. 

The park is nothing more than pretty drawings until a massive miracle happens related to NS’s view of the importance of their only local delivery yard.

[I have not checked polaris but even if the NCRR owns the land instead of NS they can’t sell without permission from NS until the end of the lease in 25(ish) years.]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

finally.   From the Biz Journal

""Amelie’s French Bakery & Café is on the move.  The longtime Charlotte favorite will relocate its flagship bakery to a new spot in NoDa on April 28.  Its flagship café at 2424 N. Davidson St. officially closes on April 22. It has been a fixture there since 2008.""
 136 E 36th St near N Tryon and walkable from the LYNX station. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2022 at 10:15 PM, KJHburg said:

Looking for something else but found this   Third and Urban's The Pass at the Sugar Creek LYNX station.  This was the Flywheel project.

Here is the marketing brochure  Lots of retail there and of course new apartments and a lot more coming in that area I know.   Notice the Tryon Mall Asian Square Mall redevelopment! 

The Pass _ Retail Brochure (thriftcres.com)

This is incredibly disappointing. Asian Square Mall has been such an important part of the area and it’s heartbreaking to know that it’s days are limited. One of the few places in the city that still managed to capture a post industrialist cultural aesthetic. Disappointing to see all the proposed developments as low rises compared to what Flywheel had put up as well.

 

Also what’s up with all the surface level parking? :(

Edited by san
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

This looks really nice...

"First look at NoDa redevelopment project mixing residential, retail and commercial uses"

BY GORDON RAGO APRIL 26, 2022 2:17 PM

 

image.thumb.png.ffc270fd7a44b85954ed10d21a289e58.png+

Its a real bummer to see these sites near the Blue Line be built with surface parking lots. Its such a bad use of land and In my eyes shows a lack a creativity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, InTheYear2000 said:

Easy to Build on that parking lot though. Lots of work to do in that pocket of land and I would rather them get this up and going. I agree with you but, as they say, perfect is the enemy of good.  

Surface lots happen even in the densest of cities.

Was in Hells Kitchen in Manhattan over the weekend and counted several surface lots.  Of course, far fewer in Manhattan versus when I moved there in 2004 when you could find large expanses of them in many parts of the city.

A place like NODA would be more of Charlotte's mini-version of Brooklyn or Queens where I know there are tons more surface lots in front of big box stores.

I don't like surface lots, but they'll happen aplenty here in Charlotte, but if we can design them so that pedestrian access is still sacredly provisioned for, then that's progress.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RANYC said:

Surface lots happen even in the densest of cities.

Was in Hells Kitchen in Manhattan over the weekend and counted several surface lots.  Of course, far fewer in Manhattan versus when I moved there in 2004 when you could find large expanses of them in many parts of the city.

A place like NODA would be more of Charlotte's mini-version of Brooklyn or Queens where I know there are tons more surface lots in front of big box stores.

I don't like surface lots, but they'll happen aplenty here in Charlotte, but if we can design them so that pedestrian access is still sacredly provisioned for, then that's progress.

That's a big "IF" we design them well. So far hoping for good design doesn't get us much of anything for pedestrians as the city doesn't seem to require much. Look at optimist hall, they had  grand opportunity to interact with the blue line and create a pedestrian mecca. Instead we got a cool concept that's basically surrounded by cars. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

That's a big "IF" we design them well. So far hoping for good design doesn't get us much of anything for pedestrians as the city doesn't seem to require much. Look at optimist hall, they had  grand opportunity to interact with the blue line and create a pedestrian mecca. Instead we got a cool concept that's basically surrounded by cars. 

I wouldn't say they had a grand opportunity, speaking as someone who rides the Blue line everyday and looks down at Botiwalla 80 feet below dreaming of Kati Rolls and Smashed Potatoes. That flyover prevented it being a pedestrian Mecca, and future phased development will allow for outparcels to be more urban. Those won't always be parking lots, but really Optimist was White Point's first major project to note, so a phased approach is smart and will pay off for them, and for the neighborhood. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I wouldn't say they had a grand opportunity, speaking as someone who rides the Blue line everyday and looks down at Botiwalla 80 feet below dreaming of Kati Rolls and Smashed Potatoes.

Smahed potatoes?  That sounds so violent.  I prefer my potatoes mashed.  I'm pretty sure that's the Southern way.

I love Optimist Hall, though, and I stop by there almost every time I come to town.  I was surprised on a recent flight, talking to the passenger next to me who was a longtime Charlottean who lives in Southpark, and he had never even heard of Optimist Hall!

6 hours ago, RANYC said:

I see optimist hall somewhat differently. 

First, the blue line station isn't really super close to the old factory.

I timed the walk from Optimist Hall to Parkwood Station one time and it was only about seven minutes, and I was walking at a very casual pace.  Do people in Charlotte consider that a long walk?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JacksonH said:

Smahed potatoes?  That sounds so violent.  I prefer my potatoes mashed.  I'm pretty sure that's the Southern way.

I love Optimist Hall, though, and I stop by there almost every time I come to town.  I was surprised on a recent flight, talking to the passenger next to me who was a longtime Charlottean who lives in Southpark, and he had never even heard of Optimist Hall!

I timed the walk from Optimist Hall to Parkwood Station one time and it was only about seven minutes, and I was walking at a very casual pace.  Do people in Charlotte consider that a long walk?

It really isn't a long walk if you cut through the man made trail. I don't like backtracking, thats the only reason I feel like its a long walk. I'd rather walk from Uptown instead of hopping on the train, but its not my favorite walk.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Smahed potatoes?  That sounds so violent.  I prefer my potatoes mashed.  I'm pretty sure that's the Southern way.

I love Optimist Hall, though, and I stop by there almost every time I come to town.  I was surprised on a recent flight, talking to the passenger next to me who was a longtime Charlottean who lives in Southpark, and he had never even heard of Optimist Hall!

I timed the walk from Optimist Hall to Parkwood Station one time and it was only about seven minutes, and I was walking at a very casual pace.  Do people in Charlotte consider that a long walk?

Its not a long walk, its just not a great walking experience. It also doesn't help that trains don't run on time usually do you could easily miss the train and have to wait an extra 20mins. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/28/2022 at 5:22 AM, Nathan2 said:

Its not a long walk, its just not a great walking experience. It also doesn't help that trains don't run on time usually do you could easily miss the train and have to wait an extra 20mins. 

Well I would agree it's not a great walking experience in that the sidewalk is way too narrow, and cars are flying through there so fast that one fears for their life.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.