NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I was in NoDa on Saturday, early afternoon and unlike most of the time during daylight hours, Noda was not a ghost town! There was a decent amount of sidewalk traffic. I went to The Boulevard at Noda, the new artists market right past Boudreaux. They have lots of nice and different artwork. I hope they do well because their presence has helped to enliven the central core and when the other small businesses in the works nearby come online it will be an even bigger boost.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in NoDa on Saturday, early afternoon and unlike most of the time during daylight hours, Noda was not a ghost town! There was a decent amount of sidewalk traffic. I went to The Boulevard at Noda, the new artists market right past Boudreaux. They have lots of nice and different artwork. I hope they do well because their presence has helped to enliven the central core and when the other small businesses in the works nearby come online it will be an even bigger boost.

Hi All, long time reader, first time poster, and very happy to be here. My wife and I live in NoDa, and I have to say, in the last 6 mos or so, we have really noticed a change (for the better!) in the "liveliness" of our 'hood. So many more people are out and about, whether taking a jog, or walking their dogs and stuff, and not just on gallery crawl nights. In addition, the restaurants and bars seem to be filling up on nights other than friday and saturday

I drive through the center of town every night to get home, and i have to respectfully disagree with the poster that mentioned the sleepy nightlife. Solstice seems to be doing really well all nights of the week, and the Evening Muse continues to thrive. Combine that with Cabo, The Dog Bar, Wine Up, Dolce Vita's success, and Mellow Mushroom among others, and i have to say that the nightlife in NoDa is among the top 3 or 4 of the charlotte neighborhoods.

I could be looking at things through the proverbial rose colored glasses since we live here, but i really am seeing the development of the "lively arts district" that is so often mentioned!

Edited by Lot66

I heard a rumor last year that Mellow Mushroom in NoDa was definitely going out of of business.

That has been out there for a while -- the guy that owns that one has closed many, if not all, of his other locations and supposedly that building and his business are in foreclosure. That would be too bad if true, but since the building was rebuilt and is already set up for a restaurant, I doubt it would take too long to find a new user -- maybe something that is a littel busier than the Shroom.

Not to veer to far off topic...but has anyone noticed how some Mellow Mushrooms taste much better than others? I think the NoDa is average for the chain, but I would be sad to see it go....if it can hang on just a bit longer, I think it will really take off.

I have noticed that. The one in Asheville definatley makes better pizza. The one up at Highland Creek is on par with the one in Noda. Are these owned by the same people? In any case, all of them are world's better than fuel pizza.

^ same. i have only been on weekend nights... but its always packed. i know that the renovation on this house of ill repute was hefty... maybe they aren't bringing in enough to pay off debt. they seem to be doing steady business for this area, if they were expecting more - then they didn't do their research.

^ same. i have only been on weekend nights... but its always packed. i know that the renovation on this house of ill repute was hefty... maybe they aren't bringing in enough to pay off debt. they seem to be doing steady business for this area, if they were expecting more - then they didn't do their research.

It is the owner, not the restaurant.

• 3 weeks later...

I received a invite in the mail today for an open house at the old Fat City in NoDa this Friday. Apparently they are ready to unveil the new plans. My invite had a rendering that I scanned, but when I tried to upload onto here I was told I don't have enough "space" or something like that! Anyway, it did have a website, www.fatcitylofts.com, but it doesn't give much.

Can't wait to see what happens here, and finally! The rendering shows 6 stories all built around the suviving Fat City building. Lots of glass on the upper levels, retail all along the main level. No prices or number of units were included. Wouldn't be surprised if this one ends up in the paper sometime this week.

I wish they would have left the place open (Fat City the restaurant/bar) until closer to now since it has taken this long to get something going at that site...

Edited by Charlotte_native

Can't wait to see what happens here, and finally! The rendering shows 6 stories all built around the suviving Fat City building. Lots of glass on the upper levels, retail all along the main level. No prices or number of units were included. Wouldn't be surprised if this one ends up in the paper sometime this week.

Looks like tomorrow will be the day.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/15717357.htm

Fat City Lofts Rendering:

247188342178.gif

This thing has jumped up 2 stories if I remember correctly. It will now be the tallest building in NoDa. I do like the way this thing looks, especially the metal flare accents. But what I think is most important is that KC will be opening up 2 new restarants in this building and they are going to preserve the facade of Fat City Deli.

Full Story here: http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...th/15720305.htm

Edited by uptownliving

Looks good.....I'm a little nervous at the height, as it is a little out of scale (and I don't think all of NoDa should be 6 stories), but it is worth it to preserve the two facades. I also really like the glass and metal element, as it's something unique.

There are a few other lots that need to get filled on Davidson, and it will be quite a nice section....I'm thinking the dirt lot just south of 37th will really add to the streetscape once it is developed....I'm thinking there are already plans for a small mid-rise there.

There are a few other lots that need to get filled on Davidson, and it will be quite a nice section....I'm thinking the dirt lot just south of 37th will really add to the streetscape once it is developed....I'm thinking there are already plans for a small mid-rise there.

There are. Nothing solid as far as plans, but the property is about to change hands -- pretty large site -- will be multi-phased and will be mid-rise for at least part of it.

Integrating the facade of a local landmark is nice to see instead of the teardown routine. As well as the new generation of restaurants that will spring from it. It really does symbolize NoDa's vibe these days: non-stop condofication while trying to preserve the neighborhood's soul. Hopefully this coexistence will inspire more development in the same vein. The rendering does seem rather looming and not insync with the midrise nature of that stretch. I hope its not a harbinger of higher heights to come.

Personally, I am quite satisfied with this project. I think 5 stories is fine, but it shouldn't go any over 5 stories in NoDa. A few 5 floor buildings will not destroy the character of the neighborhood if they are integrated well with the street, as this building is. I love how they are keeping the old facade - that is a definite must. If I had to rate it, I'd give this project a 9 out of 10.

For all the landmarks being dropped because developers say they can't justify keeping them for either financial or design reasons (Coffee Cup, Athens, etc) here is a shining example of that being a myth.

I am not sure what this means. Fat City and all that went with it, is gone afterall. Saving a few yellow bricks really isn't going to do much to bring any of that back. This is another example of a landmark, and a very colorful one at that, disappearing.

Given that, I will say this development looks a bit better for what passes for good development in Charlotte these days.

True, the establishment is no longer in existence, but the colorful facade with graffiti art is still there, right? I think that adds alot of character and flavor to the area.

I am not sure what this means. Fat City and all that went with it, is gone afterall. Saving a few yellow bricks really isn't going to do much to bring any of that back. This is another example of a landmark, and a very colorful one at that, disappearing.

Given that, I will say this development looks a bit better for what passes for good development in Charlotte these days.