NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Honest question here; is the Food kitty and the penny not considered part of serving NoDa? So wouldn't the neighborhood already have 2? Granted, I definitely think there is room for another, as thousands of new neighbors are added to the hood.

BTW is the county's plan for the entirety of Cullman to be a park or maybe one side? Just wondering because of the parrish tire plans noted above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Honest question here; is the Food kitty and the penny not considered part of serving NoDa? So wouldn't the neighborhood already have 2? Granted, I definitely think there is room for another, as thousands of new neighbors are added to the hood.

BTW is the county's plan for the entirety of Cullman to be a park or maybe one side? Just wondering because of the parrish tire plans noted above.

1) Giant Penny doesn't count

2) No one who can afford a house in NoDa these days -wants- to shop at Food Lion

3) IIRC the park is just on the creek side of Cullman, the side against the tracks is high enough elevation to be OK.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, tozmervo said:

This was constantly mystifying to me when I lived in Noda. I shopped at that Food Lion all the time, but people would act like it didn't exist. It's a small store with a PITA parking lot, but it was always perfectly clean and had easily 90% of the daily things I needed. 

Totally agree here. And for at least half of NoDa it's walkable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

The point is walkable closer to the center of NoDa. How often did you walk from Steel Gardens to Food Lion? The point is having something closer to transit that isn't a huge detour on the way home. 

Fairly often, depending on how much I needed to buy. Was maybe a 12-13 minute walk? But even if there were a grocery story light rail-station adjacent, it would be the same walking distance from Steel Gardens. 36th & Tryon would actually be further away. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Fairly often, depending on how much I needed to buy. Was maybe a 12-13 minute walk? But even if there were a grocery story light rail-station adjacent, it would be the same walking distance from Steel Gardens. 36th & Tryon would actually be further away. 

And now there will be one closer to the center of NoDa (33rd and North Davidson at the YMCA lot) and one near me on 36th and North Tryon, where 2200 new apartments are planned in the immediate area. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, CLT Development said:

And now there will be one closer to the center of NoDa (33rd and North Davidson at the YMCA lot) and one near me on 36th and North Tryon, where 2200 new apartments are planned in the immediate area. 

Any other details on the YMCA lot? Curious if they’ll keep the original building 

On 10/5/2022 at 3:38 PM, CLT Development said:

Nothing public as of this time but no they won't keep the building, there will be a new YMCA integrated, plus a grocery store, 300-400 apartments, commercial space and a small park. 

Thanks I was coming here to post this!

Is that massive tree in front of the Y getting chopped down?

On 10/8/2022 at 4:31 PM, KJHburg said:

walking around NoDa today and those new Camden NoDa apartments look fantastic!  Saw the new Avery Hall apartments with grocery store at 36th and N Tryon rising.  New apartments going up next to Amaze.    The Pass at Sugar Creek station looks good.  This walking group had no consensus on what to call the Sugar Creek station area.  Some developers are just called it NoDa.   But I think it is should be called something else.  Maybe Sugaw or maybe even Sugearee after the Native Americans who once encamped there. 

see this commentary and discussion on the name   https://www.cmstory.org/exhibits/hornets-nest-appendix/sugar-creek-or-sugaw-creek

anyway from South NoDa (Camden apartments) to the north end of NoDa (Sugaw, Sugarcreek, Sugeree, North NoDa) whatever you call it is BOOMING! 

Sections of the XCLT trail will go through this area and actually it is being built by the Camden NoDa apartments it is the 2nd wide sidewalk parallel to the other smaller one. There will be a Dutch style intersection at N Davidson and Jordan Place.  (evidently it is a bicycle friendly intersection type used in the Netherlands)   Notice the XCLT in the 3rd and 4th photos and 1st photo where it comes up from Lintmens. 

IMG_3901.JPG

IMG_3902.JPG

IMG_3903.JPG

IMG_3904.JPG

IMG_3905.JPG

IMG_3907.JPG

IMG_3908.JPG

IMG_3909.JPG

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3919.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3931.JPG

IMG_3932.JPG

IMG_3935.JPG

IMG_3936.JPG

IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_3938.JPG

IMG_3939.JPG

IMG_3940.JPG

IMG_3942.JPG

IMG_3943.JPG

IMG_3944.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

IMG_3947.JPG

IMG_3948.JPG

IMG_3949.JPG

IMG_3950.JPG

IMG_3952.JPG

Would really like to see this area become the next South End. Like at what point do we start seeing some offices and high-rises too?

Random minor thought: would there be some use in renaming Lynx stations around here? Like the 36th street station could just be North Davidson station, no? Would be a lot more recognizable especially since the NoDa name is gaining fame.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

Would really like to see this area become the next South End. Like at what point do we start seeing some offices and high-rises too?

There is a bunch of office space being built in Southend now. My gut says that developers are waiting to see how that is absorbed before moving onto NoDa.

I will say that much of the rationale for Southend office expansion is the availability of amenities (lunch spots, bars, etc). While NoDa has that, it is not at the same level as Southend. So I think that will need to come before much office arrives. (as an aside, I have been kinda disappointed with food quality at Optimist Hall for a while, but I may be choosing badly).

• Like 1

Office space will come eventually but I think it will be smaller in size.  Optimist Hall and Chadborn Mill and a little bit next to the 36th apartments Novel built.   However a big test will be the new Optimist Hall tower and the new Grubb 5 story office building next to their new apartments.   Office follows rooftops but there is a lag.  Plus a lot more competition of office space in cool spaces too like Camp Northend, FreeMoreWest not to mention the larger Southend market. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...