NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...
It did feel like the 2010s was the decade of the South End whereas the 2020s could be for the neighborhoods Northeast of Uptown -- Optimist, Villa, Noda, Belmont, Plaza.  Granted, I am biased because I live and go out here.

“Let’s round out that core”
  • Like 1

It looks like construction has begun at 36th/Cullman/NCRR tracks. Last I heard this was planned as mid rise office. (The Southendification of NoDa continues).

I can’t get a good look because the tracks obscure my view from the train. There is fencing up and heavy equipment is doing site prep.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So this was news to me today:

"Johnston YMCA will close after selling iconic NoDa property"

https://charlotte.axios.com/328023/johnston-y-will-close-after-selling-iconic-noda-property/

By Katie Peralta Soloff | May 2, 2023

The YMCA of Greater Charlotte is selling the Johnston YMCA property to a developer, and the Y will no longer maintain a presence in NoDa as previously planned, the organization said via a statement Tuesday.

Details: The decision was made after consideration of the branch’s limitations, plus the association’s “overall financial needs.”

Why it matters: The Johnston Y is a community institution, serving for decades not only as a gym but also as a child care facility, gathering place and host of all sorts of local functions and classes. The iconic brick building was built in 1951.

The Johnston Y currently has about 1,500 members, according to Y spokesperson Heather Briganti.

Context: The Y has engaged with the community for the last several years to determine a plan for the redevelopment of the 5.8 acres the Johnston Y occupies on North Davidson.

The organization worked with broker partner CBRE to review several proposals and select a developer for the property.

“Our current building … does not serve current market expectations for flow and function, and has a growing list of deferred maintenance needs,” Briganti told Axios in 2021.

The Y had said that the NoDa area’s growth reinforced the need for the Y to maintain a presence in the neighborhood.

Yes, but: The pandemic crushed the local YMCA, one of the largest gym networks in the region. At one point, more than half of Y members had either canceled or frozen their memberships, resulting in millions in lost revenue, I reported in 2021.

In 2021, the YMCA of Greater Charlotte announced it received its largest gift — a “transformational” sum of $18 million from philanthropist MacKenzie Scott.

The other side: In a statement, the NoDa Neighborhood & Business Association said they’ve been “ignored and pushed aside” when it comes to collaborating with the Y on the redevelopment plans.

“We can only hope that whatever developer that has purchased their lot will be more willing to work with the NoDa community and will work to uphold some of the very valuable community amenities that are so desperately needed in our neighborhood,” the statement read in part.

Of note: There’s a giant willow oak in front of the Johnston Y that textile magnate Horace Johnston planted years ago, back when the building was a community center for the mill families who lived and worked in the area.

It’s unclear what will happen to the tree.

What’s next: The current facility will continue to operate through the end of 2023.

It’s unclear who the developer is or what their plans are. Briganti said they’ll make their own announcement at another time.

What they’re saying: “This decision, while in the best interest of our Y, was extremely difficult for us to make, and we know that many community members will share in our disappointment,” the Y’s statement read.

"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rumors are going around online saying the Y strung the community and possibly even their own Board around and lied to them about the possibility of remaining on the site, when the truth is that the Y is in such dire financial straits that they needed to sell this property to keep the other locations going. Don't know how true any of that is, but that's what people are saying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Rumors are going around online saying the Y strung the community and possibly even their own Board around and lied to them about the possibility of remaining on the site, when the truth is that the Y is in such dire financial straits that they needed to sell this property to keep the other locations going. Don't know how true any of that is, but that's what people are saying.

That said yes, I can confirm they were in such dire straights that they cannot afford to keep this one going. However, they also never even tried to do a capital campaign to cover, and this lot will go for probably 5M a acre.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I am on the neighborhood board and I can confirm they strung along the community, however... I have talked to 5 people that worked on this project, every one of them was planning on a YMCA being there. From traffic planners, to residential developers, to landscape architects to financiers to YMCA board members. Every single one of them confirmed that as of a month ago there was a YMCA going here. Even 3 weeks ago their Exec. Director was asking for a letter of recommendation on a Placemaking Grant they were putting in on outdoor furniture to be used at the current and future site.

So what do you think changed?

18 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

So what do you think changed?

I think that honestly what you said, is exactly what happened. The regional Y obfuscated the situation and kept it from the executive staff and board at the Johnson Y as well as the neighborhood. The crazy thing is most of the people I have talked to live in the greater "Mill District" and were real stakeholders in the success of this project. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2