NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

NoDa's full potential may be realized more slowly because of the crime issue in the surrounding area but I think that is improving. No real estate expert here but I have noticed the continual restoration of more and more homes along Parkwood and the planting of flowers in the median has made that stretch much nicer to drive down. There is also that craftsman development just off of Matheson. Also, the name escapes for some reason ( I am typing from back home on Hilton Head and did not sleep well) but on the street off of Davidson that comes out across from Cabo Fish they are building several old style single family homes down that block. Back to Parkwood....that curve going down to the intersection with Davidson is waaaaaay too steep :w00t: I have hooked it going too fast several times and have learned my lesson shall we say :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

28th Row has received their building permit and has only a few units remaining. Steel Gardens is in the same boat. Investors are not allowed because of lending laws. The demand for affordable product close to uptown is doing extremely well. I can only hope that developers can continue to offer units for people that only qualify for under $225K. Atlanta for example, over built product $500K and up and now there is a tremendous oversupply. Charlotte will do the same in the next 2-3 years if it isnt careful. The synergy of uptown is causing such a tremendous and welcomed diversity to Charlotte's previously fragile neighborhoods.

here are a couple of shots from the steel gardens project. i wish i'd gotten more... there were actually some examples of other buildings that were very different. it seems to be a very diverse project. they are also implementing some of the older, exsisting warehouse structures.

sg1.jpg

sg2.jpg

urbanplanet016.jpg

I was at Cabo and Solstice last night and I don't believe that the bohmenian style of life is going anywhere. Right in front of Salvador Dali Market there was a drum circle, people drinking on the street, artists painting on the sidewalk, and a bocce ball game going on. The district was packed last night, a real complement and alternative to the same old Uptown night scene.

I was at Cabo and Solstice last night and I don't believe that the bohmenian style of life is going anywhere. Right in front of Salvador Dali Market there was a drum circle, people drinking on the street, artists painting on the sidewalk, and a bocce ball game going on. The district was packed last night, a real complement and alternative to the same old Uptown night scene.

That's the Friday night gallery crawl. It happened every first and third Friday. It's that way every first and third friday.

It's great how the NoDa scene is been reinvigorated. We go there almost every gallery crawl night now -- a GREAT alternative to spending all of our time uptown. It seems like every time we go there is a new cafe, gallery, or some street activity. Highland Mill has a new place and is advertising gallery space and studio space and there are two new galleries across the street from it. I can't wait and see all the activity in the area once Steel Gardens and 28 Ro are done and that many more residents are in the area.

Can someone please tell me what is happening to the old mill buildings on the corner of Davidson and Mercury in NoDa?

I'm not sure it is decided yet, but the city is trying to save them for reuse. I think the main issue is money, due to termite damage.

Can someone please tell me what is happening to the old mill buildings on the corner of Davidson and Mercury in NoDa?

The city has an RFP out for them (Request for Proposal). Last I've heard they are down to a couple prospective developers. They are likely going to require some affordable housing with this along with other "strings" so the interested parties is somewhat diminished because of it. someone will want it thouogh, in the end expect these to be renovated and be some form of "for sale" and rental -- likely with much of it in the affordable level. Might change, but this is what the city has been pushing for.

I'd love to see Artspace get this, but when they came to town they are fairly adamant about it taking a couple of years for them to study a market before jumping in...

Edited by Charlotte_native

Artspace would be a wonderful candidate to take over the mills but I am also starting to think that it's not likely to happen. Artspace has built it's reputation through extensive years long study before engaging a property and I don't think City Council will work with their timeline. Hopefully the developer that is picked will be truly committed to providing an affordable housing component and maybe be open to designating some space for artists to display and sell their work.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that the RFP for Mecklenburg and Johnston Mills was due today. Does anyone know the developers that presented or what they presented? This is a really prime piece of NoDa land - it will be interesting to see what happens there.

Last night the NoDa gallery crawl was packed again. So nice to see the area busy, probably more busy, than in the "good ol' days" with Fat City. The wine bar windows fully open to the street, which I didn't know, and they had live music -- the place was filled with people. All the places were. I can't wait to see how these progress when the weather is actually nicer and cooler.

• 2 weeks later...

I expect this week's gallery crawl (tomorrow) to be VERY highly attended.

In addition, the developer of the Highland Mills project told me last week that in the commercial building fronting N Davidson Street (where there is a bar called PREVUE that replaced Gilda's) -- that The Comedy Zone has reserved that space and should be signing a lease soon. I peaked inside those windows the other night and contractors have already begun to prepare for the upfit, and there is a lot of activity beginning inside there.

Sorry if this is a repeat of a previous post or not ... BUT this will only help (tremendously) the NoDa's center-of-neighborhood makes it march more and more southward!

In addition, the developer of the Highland Mills project told me last week that in the commercial building fronting N Davidson Street (where there is a bar called PREVUE that replaced Gilda's) -- that The Comedy Zone has reserved that space and should be signing a lease soon. I peaked inside those windows the other night and contractors have already begun to prepare for the upfit, and there is a lot of activity beginning inside there.

Fantastic news about the Comedy Zone -- great for the 'hood.

Will it be moving from it's current location on College Street? Not sure how much of a crowd it attracts at it's current location but I hate to see that section of College get even deader.

I thought it had already moved. I also thought someone said Comedy Zone was moving to the North Carolina Music Factory...

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Charlotte a couple of weeks ago and got a grand tour. We went to dinner and drinks at NoDa one night. I was impressed with the potential of this part of town. It would be cool if it were safe to walk to downtown from the area, but I question the safety. How safe would it be to make this walk? My friend told me that to walk there via Tryon Street would be almost guaranteed a mugging scenario. Is there a safe route to uptown from Noda? It would be the perfect walk. I could invision walking to Noda from downtown and taking a taxi or bus back later. I think that this is a big selling point for future growth. Also, are there any plans for growth along Davidson Avenue (I believe it was) between Noda and uptown?

I was in Charlotte a couple of weeks ago and got a grand tour. We went to dinner and drinks at NoDa one night. I was impressed with the potential of this part of town. It would be cool if it were safe to walk to downtown from the area, but I question the safety. How safe would it be to make this walk? My friend told me that to walk there via Tryon Street would be almost guaranteed a mugging scenario. Is there a safe route to uptown from Noda? It would be the perfect walk. I could invision walking to Noda from downtown and taking a taxi or bus back later. I think that this is a big selling point for future growth. Also, are there any plans for growth along Davidson Avenue (I believe it was) between Noda and uptown?

Yes, unfortunatly, you probally would be mugged :ph34r: ... by a ninja, ok not a ninja. I live up in the University Area, which isn't the safest, but I will sometimes walk, and I sure would never walk down Tryon, even with a group for that matter. Certainly the best thing to do is have means of transportation into uptown.

Edited by Andyc545

It's definitely not a walk I'd recommend, it's slowly getting better, but it's still a way off. The most direct route, straight down Davidson, has some issues....south of 27th from Noda all the way to I-277 is risky, but the worst blocks in my opinion would be between 17th and 19th.

You wouldn't want to walk using Davidson Street anyway, it would be better to take either Tryon or the greenway. I've walked the greenway many times, but it is still quite sketchy with scary people watching as you walk by, and bullet holes on signs, etc. Tryon probably feels much safer as there is a lot more mainstream traffic going by.

But a question that pops up immediately is: why would you walk that far for a night on the town or dinner. It may seem close in a car, but it is a 3 mile walk between Trade and Tryon to 36th and Davidson, 6 miles round trip. Average walking speed is 3mph, so it is an hour walk and an hour back. That is one heck of a commitment to a vow of poverty or carbon neutrality or whatever. A one mile walk would be what I would consider a maximum reasonable radius for an errand or a social activity. Beyond that, a bike or acab or a bus or a car would seem more appropriate. That is, unless you've gotten the botox armpit injections and you are highly skilled at olympic walking.

We take a cab or towncar from center city to NoDa for gallery crawls. Cab is about $10, towncar $15. Not worth the walk due to safety, but also due to the time as Dubone pointed out. I've ridden my bike as well (in cooler weather) and that only takes about 15 minutes and I haven't felt unsafe basically because I'm on the road moving quickly enough.

Edited by Charlotte_native