NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Where is the greenway in Noda and where does it start/end?

I ride my bicycle into Noda from Matthews (10-12 miles, about 1 hour).

FWIW, I always thought average walking speed is more like 4 mph / 15 mins per mile.

It doesn't actually make it all the way to Noda. It's mostly through Belmont and Villa Heights. I have friends who have been run out of there before. Eventually it will continue further into the city through Seigle Point. And even more eventually it will link to Kings Drive and the greenways at Midtown.

Its northern terminus is Cordelia Park (think power lines, a concrete pool surrounded by barbed wire, and yellow sickle sculptures) and it runs south along the creek. It functionally ends at Belmont Ave, as it doesn't yet go under the railway bridge to connect to the section with basketball courts between Seigel Point construction and the CATS garage. But if you are going downtown, you'd probably not need to take that section anyway.

I have jogged it a number of times, but I always get remorse halfway through as I imagine the Law and Order "bum-bumm"s. With houses now asking for $400k in Villa Heights (seriously), I'm sure things have the potential for a major turnaround. But for the time being, just take a cab for a couple bucks. I'm sure one of the drum circle people can spare you a fiver on their way back to their bimmer.

Every time I drive to Noda, I am amazed by how blank the intersection of N. Davidson and Jordan is. I know that 28th Row is set for the east side of Davidson, but there is a huge lot available on the west side. Does anyone know anything about that lot? Why has no one jumped on it?

Why? The price!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

From the notes from the last week's Noda neighborhood meeting:

A very preliminary design was shown for the property on the corner of

36th and Davidson, including the funeral home, and some of the houses

on Mercury.

Phase one - One building would be for condos, 6 stories above street

level with 2 stories below ground. 100,000sqft of residential, and

some retail. Requesting MUD-O to rezone. Max hight 75 ft.

Phase two - New retail on 36th. Would like to partner with the City to

for a larger parking deck. The small amount of retail will not pay for

the parking garage. He can pay for half the deck, and the city can pay

for the other half.

The overall plan is to have full LEED certified buildings, utilities

in the ground, water catch system to go to rain gardens, mosaics,

outdoor art, hanging gardens, and interesting lighting.

Have you been to a Gallery Crawl night recently? The vibe isn't just like it was with Fat City (I dearly miss it as well -- I was probably there 2 - 3 nigthts a week for a couple years) but it is a far cry from typical for this city and I'd personally say much different than Disney-esqe. There is still quite a sincere funky, artsy, gay/straight, hippie, whatever contingent there that far outnumbers the faux element. Many of the original galleries are still there with ones that have been added that are great. The city's only Dog Bar is there. The wine bar in Nevitt Building has huge windows that open to the street and live music streaming out. Cabo Fish Taco...genuine funkyness. Drum circles and outside activity is always present. I think Salvador Deli and Solstice are great additions to NoDa -- locally owned, good food and vibe, and no KC to try and hit on your younger brother or give him drugs.

Just because there are condos and new houses doesn't mean the people that have bought them have to be different from those that lived in the area before.

Your right there is still a lot to love. I guess I miss the raw scenery. All the new stuff just freaks me out for some reason. As long as it stays real then let the architects/realtors play.

One thing I don't miss are the Mac trucks flying down the street at 80+ mph when your trying to cross the street.

Don't we still have to worry about KC? I heard he was opening up a resturant under the condo. I love the guy but will always keep my little bro away. :)

From the notes from the last week's Noda neighborhood meeting:

A very preliminary design was shown for the property on the corner of

36th and Davidson, including the funeral home, and some of the houses

on Mercury.

Phase one - One building would be for condos, 6 stories above street

level with 2 stories below ground. 100,000sqft of residential, and

some retail. Requesting MUD-O to rezone. Max hight 75 ft.

Phase two - New retail on 36th. Would like to partner with the City to

for a larger parking deck. The small amount of retail will not pay for

the parking garage. He can pay for half the deck, and the city can pay

for the other half.

The overall plan is to have full LEED certified buildings, utilities

in the ground, water catch system to go to rain gardens, mosaics,

outdoor art, hanging gardens, and interesting lighting.

Are you talking about the old brick mill building rehab, or is this a demolition/redevelopment project? Or do you mean the gravel lots with the recycling bins behind Neighborhood Theater?

Don't we still have to worry about KC? I heard he was opening up a resturant under the condo. I love the guy but will always keep my little bro away. :)

That has been part of the plan from the beginning, but if I were a bettin' man my cash would be on the side that NoDa has heard the last of KC. And it isn't personal, he was a very interesting character and certainly made a huge impact on the area, but it has been so long that I'd be surprised if he came back around -- but who knows.

After leaving Fat City he managed Loupies in Huntersville...until the owner of the building (not Loupie) told him that if he continued openly hitting on boys in the restaurant that he'd be run out of town...he left! He was actually riding a moped up I-77 to the cafe for work from Charlotte for a long time. I heard that he was back in Charlotte somewhere waiting tables or running a place -- maybe Loupies on 7th?

Edited by Charlotte_native

Are you talking about the old brick mill building rehab, or is this a demolition/redevelopment project? Or do you mean the gravel lots with the recycling bins behind Neighborhood Theater?

I didn't attend the meeting, but I think it's going to involve the parking lots behind NT, plus that brick building with the brick wall to the right of it, plus some of the land on Mercury St behind that--it's all owned by the same LLC.

Although now that you mention it, there's a special meeting tomorrow night where they're going to present several RFPs for the Mecklenburg Mill. Conformity has one RFP; another one is a joint venture between Tuscan and B of A, plus I think there are two others besides those.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you been to a Gallery Crawl night recently? The vibe isn't just like it was with Fat City (I dearly miss it as well -- I was probably there 2 - 3 nigthts a week for a couple years) but it is a far cry from typical for this city and I'd personally say much different than Disney-esqe. There is still quite a sincere funky, artsy, gay/straight, hippie, whatever contingent there that far outnumbers the faux element. Many of the original galleries are still there with ones that have been added that are great. The city's only Dog Bar is there. The wine bar in Nevitt Building has huge windows that open to the street and live music streaming out. Cabo Fish Taco...genuine funkyness. Drum circles and outside activity is always present. I think Salvador Deli and Solstice are great additions to NoDa -- locally owned, good food and vibe, and no KC to try and hit on your younger brother or give him drugs.

Just because there are condos and new houses doesn't mean the people that have bought them have to be different from those that lived in the area before.

North Davidson has changed quite a bit since I've been here. I saw Digable Planets at Fat City, awesome show. I'm all for progress but it usually comes at some price but I'm glad the area is safer now, that's most important. As it continues to gentrify I hope all of the uniqueness is not lost. I've heard from a few folks in Wesley Heights who are not happy about the transition. New residents are snobby and not as friendly to the older/existing folks they say.

While I am reluctant to share, given the outcome.......

Tuscan will get the recommendation from the Selection Committee. There are a few steps remaining as it moves to a vote, but I believe those steps to be academic at this point.

They will do a great job with this important piece of property.

Sorry you didn't get it... I have to admit that I am glad that they will preserve the buildings. Care to share insight as to why your plan did not?

Here is the memo for the winning proposal:

The Selection Committee for the Johnston and Mecklenburg Mills Apartments RFP process had their final meeting on September 26, 2007 and selected the NoDa Mills, LLC (Tuscan Development, Bank of America Community Development Corporation and The Housing Studio, PA) proposal as the recommendation to City Council. Key points cited by the selection committee include:

* Preservation of all existing historic buildings on the site.

* Creating a total of 174 rental apartments, 28 new for-sale condominiums and 6,500 square feet of retail space.

* Preserving 75 affordable rental units on site that are integrated with the market-rate units.

* Introduces a mix of uses that includes: catering facility/new restaurant concept, community artist space and gallery and office space.

* Connectivity with transit - a pedestrian-friendly retail streetscape along 36th Street towards the future transit station.

^^^^^^

"Care to share any insight as to why your plan did not".

I can't do that. There is no way to craft a response to that that does not come across as whining. (Or at least I can't think of a way...so maybe I'm a whiner).

We made what, for us, was a difficult choice in deciding to remove one of the mills. We did this at great risk to our brand given the amount of preservation work we've done and the awards we've received. We stand behind our reasoning, but we lost...fair and square. Buy me a beer sometime and I'll share war stories, but I can't do that here.

For the record Tuscan and Conformity were always out front as against Winter and Atlantic. It was fun. Again, I applaud them.