NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I went to the Gallery Crawl in NoDa last night. The vibe was really good, just wish we could take NoDa and multiply it by 4 to make it feel much more substanial.

Anyways at the greenrice Gallery they have a series of paintings called the Streets of Charlotte. A lot of very cool scenes of downtown Charlotte and also central Charlotte icons such as the Penguin, Andersons, Athen's, and the Coffee Cup to name a few. It was really cool to see these local icons captured on canvas before they closed or were torn down. The exibit is on display through October. I highly recommend urban Charlotte afficanados to check it out.

Green Rice Gallery

Edited by uptownliving

I am getting tired of seeing new "tripple B's" {Borring Banker Barricks- my own term} going up and I hope it doesnt happen to NODA. Granted my observations of what the Banking community has produced are not on the cutting edge creativly on the whole and perhaps Crosland is what we should we should just deal with and expect to be built all over Charlotte- unless we find ways to motivate the powers that be to do otherwise.

There was a lot of exciting news in that article regarding the effort to retain NoDa's artsy vibe. Almost too good to be true. I try but I am a hopeless pessimist :o Tuscan's plans sound great. I hope the City Council does the right thing and approves their proposal. The rehearsal space by Johnny Colt is awesome and Comedy Zone should do great.

From today's O. Seems like this can't be good news for the NC Music Lacktory. Wasn't there talk of the Comedy Zone going there? Looks like that's another vendor/venue they can cross off their list of hopefuls.

http://www.charlotte.com/484/story/312321.html

This link didn't work for me, but I think this may be the new link to the story:

http://www.charlotte.com/business/columnis...ory/312462.html

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

There was a lot of exciting news in that article regarding the effort to retain NoDa's artsy vibe. Almost too good to be true. I try but I am a hopeless pessimist :o Tuscan's plans sound great. I hope the City Council does the right thing and approves their proposal. The rehearsal space by Johnny Colt is awesome and Comedy Zone should do great.

I was very happy to read that article as well. I didn't like, however, Patsy's comment that she hoped this would "bring back" the galleries to the area. There are more galleries there than there were 5 or 6 years ago. What is missing is the cheap housing for artists and artistic types, and cheap studio space. That I can recall, only 2 or 3 galleries that were there in the early 2000's aren't any more (if you count the 50's retro store as one of them). In their place most all the restaurants and bars show local art for artists, Smelly Cat and Evening Muse are galleries of sorts, Green Rice Gallery, Element Gallery, AHA Gallery, Beet, Canvas Monkey, and a couple others that I can't think of their names have all come about over the past couple of years and seem to be doing well.

Not annoyed by the comment, just don't like seeing a myth perpetuated that all the galleries are leaving --

Edited by Charlotte_native

They are repaving much of N. Davidson Street currently. As I don't know where to find the schedules for such thing on Charmeck.org, the best I can tell is repaving from the CATS facility into Noda, and also along some of the neighborhood streets in Noda. Excellent! N. Davidson Street is in need of a streetscape plan through Optimist Park and Belmont. The Villa Heights part is not as bad (when was the statue at Cordella Park built? It's a shame that park isn't more safe, it looks great!).

• 4 weeks later...

According to Charmeck.org, a final decision on the RFP's for Mecklenburg and Johnston Mills in Noda should have been reached on Sept 25. Does anyone know how to find out what was decided upon? Here is a link with the RFPs. Conformity, do you know?

Here is a link to the plans... CLICK HERE This is a big file.

Between Tuscan and Conformity Corp./Housing Partnership, I must say I'm somewhat surprised at the city's decision. Conformity Corp. was willing to pay more for the land assuming the affordable components were built (I think I'm reading that right). Conformity Corp was also going to provide more affordable units (80 vs. 75) and 25% of their units would have been targeted to even lower income individuals (a 2-person houshold making less than $15,500), as opposed to Tuscan where the income max is $31,000 for all 2-person household units. Conformity Corp. also was proposing more retail space, as well as a greater total number of units.

The advantages to Tuscan's proposal were preseving all the buildings, and seeking 4% tax-credits as opposed to 9% that Conformity/Housing Partnership was seeking, which are MUCH more competitive, though it seems that they would have scored well based typical rating systems to determine tax-credit funding.

Looking at the renderings, they both appeared to be nice, but actually Atlantic has the most funky design. Tuscan's presentation made mention of designed based on LEED standards which is nice...I didn't notice this claim from any of the other applicants.

Edit....after reading the proposals closer, Tuscan makes a big deal of only seeking 4% financing, which I think it fair, due to its relatively higher rate of success in obtaining. It's a shame that this decision isn't contingent of actual awarding of tax-credits, because I think that might have given Conformity Corp./Housing Partnerships propsoal a much better shot.

Here is a link to the plans... CLICK HERE This is a big file.

Between Tuscan and Conformity Corp./Housing Partnership, I must say I'm somewhat surprised at the city's decision. Conformity Corp. was willing to pay more for the land assuming the affordable components were built (I think I'm reading that right). Conformity Corp was also going to provide more affordable units (80 vs. 75) and 25% of their units would have been targeted to even lower income individuals (a 2-person houshold making less than $15,500), as opposed to Tuscan where the income max is $31,000 for all units. Conformity Corp. also was proposing more retail space, as well as a greater total number of units.

The advantages to Tuscan's proposal were preseving all the buildings, and seeking 4% tax-credits as opposed to 9% that Conformity/Housing Partnership was seeking, which are MUCH more competitive, though it seems that they would have scored well based typical rating systems to determine tax-credit funding.

Looking at the renderings, they both appeared to be nice, but actually Atlantic has the most funky design. Tuscan's presentation made mention of designed based on LEED standards which is nice...I didn't notice this claim from any of the other applicants.

Edit....after reading the proposals closer, Tuscan makes a big deal of only seeking 4% financing, which I think it fair, due to its relatively higher rate of success in obtaining. It's a shame that this decision isn't contingent of actual awarding of tax-credits, because I think that might have given Conformity Corp./Housing Partnerships propsoal a much better shot.

I have been working on renovating my new house in Noda for the past week. I was taking a break and sitting on my porch today when one of my new neighbors came by and asked me to sign a petition about the development of the mills. I tried to get as much info from him as possible but was surprised to find out that he was not clear about WHAT the petition was for. As much as I could get from him, it was a petition to have the mills developed. I told him that the city has already put into motion the redevelopment of the mills and a developer has been chosen. He didn't really know anything about these plans, or at least he wasn't communicating well. Either way, he was my neighbor, and part of the Noda neighborhood association, so I assumed that what was being petitioned for was best for my community. So I signed but asked for him to bring me a copy of the literature in the petition so I could familiarize myself on the goals. We will see if he brings me any literature...and I sure do hope that I didn't sign off on something I am opposed to. I did my best to read over the facts in the pamphlet but he kept asking me questions about my renovation and my house, so it was hard to concentrate on the wording.

I am an Noda resident also, and I was able to attend the association meeting this past week. The petition that you signed was for the city to expedite the approval of starting work on the mills. Apparently, there's been quite a bit of vagrants running around those mills pillaging whatever they can find. There's also unwanted activities going on there like car break-ins, the homeless sleeping around that area, prostitution, armed robberies, etc. Couple that with the fact that the mills are already in bad shape and getting worse, we need the city to ACT NOW, instead of putting it off all the time.

The meeting also discussed how a presentation was granted by the city to our association's leaders and our members were alloted 10 minutes to present their case to the city council. Instead, 90 seconds into the proposal, they cut us off and never brought the topic up again. Then, they proceeded to say that this isn't a concern of theirs because they were more focused on the election results than worrying about what to put in replacement of the mills.

The petition that you signed was for the city council to approve the NODA residents' preference in going with NoDA MILLS, LLC. There are over 200 reasons as to why we want NoDA MILLS, with the main factor being that NoDA Mills would invest a MAJOR PORTION of their OWN funds to make their renderings happen. Plus, they are based locally, meaning it'd be much harder for them to build and bail. The other renderings, while seemingly nicer, are just unrealistic. First is the cost, which they have severely understated, and they are looking for the city to grant them money, which will never happen. Then, they were adament in not hearing what the residents of NoDA had to say in regards to making tweaks and changes. Basically, these developers were just that, DEVELOPERS with no heart and only dollar bills. We don't want that here, and I could care less what kind of proposals they brought to the table if that's how they are going to act. Their ideas were unfeasible and we made that point out to the city council.

The fear is that with the new election and the terms to begin in January 08, we need to city's support NOW or we are going to face the fact that these mills may NEVER get developed, especially with the new members on the city council. Apparently, the association committee has already spent countless time and hours, and the only way that we may even have some notice is for residents of NoDA and the surrounding areas to voice their say about it; otherwise, it's guaranteed that they will not hear another thing we have to say about those mills. That is the problem with city owned property. They know they have us in the ropes, and given that this is already a valuable piece of property, they want to make sure they get the maximum tax dollars in compensation for the development of the project. I wish someone would just come in a buy the land outright from them, but it'll never happen.

Edited by kennethlin

I am an Noda resident also, and I was able to attend the association meeting this past week. The petition that you signed was for the city to expedite the approval of starting work on the mills. Apparently, there's been quite a bit of vagrants running around those mills pillaging whatever they can find. There's also unwanted activities going on there like car break-ins, the homeless sleeping around that area, prostitution, armed robberies, etc. Couple that with the fact that the mills are already in bad shape and getting worse, we need the city to ACT NOW, instead of putting it off all the time.

The meeting also discussed how a presentation was granted by the city to our association's leaders and our members were alloted 10 minutes to present their case to the city council. Instead, 90 seconds into the proposal, they cut us off and never brought the topic up again. Then, they proceeded to say that this isn't a concern of theirs because they were more focused on the election results than worrying about what to put in replacement of the mills.

The petition that you signed was for the city council to approve the NODA residents' preference in going with NoDA MILLS, LLC. There are over 200 reasons as to why we want NoDA MILLS, with the main factor being that NoDA Mills would invest a MAJOR PORTION of their OWN funds to make their renderings happen. Plus, they are based locally, meaning it'd be much harder for them to build and bail. The other renderings, while seemingly nicer, are just unrealistic. First is the cost, which they have severely understated, and they are looking for the city to grant them money, which will never happen. Then, they were adament in not hearing what the residents of NoDA had to say in regards to making tweaks and changes. Basically, these developers were just that, DEVELOPERS with no heart and only dollar bills. We don't want that here, and I could care less what kind of proposals they brought to the table if that's how they are going to act. Their ideas were unfeasible and we made that point out to the city council.

The fear is that with the new election and the terms to begin in January 08, we need to city's support NOW or we are going to face the fact that these mills may NEVER get developed, especially with the new members on the city council. Apparently, the association committee has already spent countless time and hours, and the only way that we may even have some notice is for residents of NoDA and the surrounding areas to voice their say about it; otherwise, it's guaranteed that they will not hear another thing we have to say about those mills. That is the problem with city owned property. They know they have us in the ropes, and given that this is already a valuable piece of property, they want to make sure they get the maximum tax dollars in compensation for the development of the project. I wish someone would just come in a buy the land outright from them, but it'll never happen.

Got it. I can back that. Although I would still like to see the Noda Mills LLC plans to make my own opinion.

The Charlotte City Council responded to the strong voice coming from the NoDa community and approved Noda Mills LLC (Tuscan) as the developer that won the RFP for the Johnston and Mecklenburg Mills property. The neighborhood President spoke before the council and told them about the crime problems the empty buildings are creating. As well as the potential for the buildings to be burned down by homeless people that are living in the buildings creating fires to keep warm. Hopefully this action by the Council tonight will expidte the process and ensure that these buildings are saved before anything bad can happen from their neglect.

That is wonderful news! Couldn't have come at a better time, and the hard work and efforts spent by the citizens of Noda (myself including) finally paid off. Months and months, nothing happened, and finally, with all exhaustive efforts, we finally got this through. Congrats for all residents of NoDA who have worked so hard in getting the City Council to hear us out.

(I included NoDa on the project map pinned to the top of the forum, for those that haven't noticed.) But that project on Herrin is Steel Gardens, although I noticed in Uptown magazine that they are also advertising for 'Royal Truss at Steel Gardens' at this address:

http://www.yesda2noda.com/

Steel Gardens started out as Herrin Tower(s?), but they could make it work with a tower there, so this is what we've gotten. I think it is a decent project that adds some density on the fringes of the neighborhood.

Royal Truss is a sub-project within the whole Steel Gardens development. Bonterra (the overall developer) sold the only existing building on the site to The Carolina Group (formerly part of Harris Murr & Vermillion) which is converting the building into about ~20 loft style condos.

The overall Steel Gardens is being developed by Bonterra (which specializes in semi-custom suburban homes), but so far, I think they've done a fine job with the site. The site plan is above average, and the design is modern, but nothing ground-breaking. The name of the project originally was Herrin Towers, but they never planned anything "tall" on the site. It was in reference to 4 "turret-style" units that were to be included, but each unit I believe was still only 3-4 stories. I think these units are still part of the plan.

Anyway, I think its a good project that has boosted a part of NoDa that had been slightly lagging.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in NoDa on Saturday afternoon and was quite happy about the sidewalk traffic I observed going into the stores. There was a consistent stream of people. The holiday shopping season provides a boost but I have also seen an uptick in life in the area in general. I used to hate the tumbleweed rolling down the street dead sensation NoDa had during the weekday afternoons but that also seems to be less apparent. As more residential fills in there will be life beyond gallery crawls I would think. Can anyone shed some light on the plans surrounding Neighborhood Theater? I overheard people talking about it this weekend. Neighborhood and Boudreaxus are going to be preserved thankfully. The plans include a parking garage and condos/retail around the Theatre? Or something like that I think.... fervently hope that any future retail will be locally owned and not chain stores.

Neighborhood and Boudreaxus are going to be preserved thankfully. The plans include a parking garage and condos/retail around the Theatre? Or something like that I think.... fervently hope that any future retail will be locally owned and not chain stores.

The existing storefronts will be getting some updating and renovation work, but they will remain. Condos are being considered behind the buildings. Additional commercial/retail will also likely be built on 36th including the monstrous house built for the preacher beside neighborhood theatre (it will likely go for what should be there in the first place).

reality.jpg

Heres the site plan in context with the surrounding area. Sometimes site plans can get confusing to read, so I made the existing buildings actual existing buildings. This will do a lot for the NoDa area, and will provide, thankfully, another block to walk around on, as I've always thought the NoDa business district experience needed to be upgraded and updated.