NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Is that the same mill across the street that the city condemed? If so it'll be prime property and a shame the city has to be so sneaky.

Yes, it is. I don't think there is anything sneaky about it, there are very public plans for those.

Also of note, the N'hood Theater project might likely (they are trying) add a grocer to the neighborhood!

Also of note, the N'hood Theater project might likely (they are trying) add a grocer to the neighborhood!

Best news I've heard all week! Have you heard any names? I would assume it would have to be a chain grocer to afford the new spot. Maybe another HT Express like the one along Providence?

How is business for Home Economist lately? NoDa would be a great spot for a third HE spot. Wish in one hand, I suppose...

Best news I've heard all week! Have you heard any names? I would assume it would have to be a chain grocer to afford the new spot. Maybe another HT Express like the one along Providence?

How is business for Home Economist lately? NoDa would be a great spot for a third HE spot. Wish in one hand, I suppose...

Nothing definite at all, not even that there WILL be a grocer, but it is their hope and they are working on it. I think this would really fill a big gap in the NoDa area.

Personal opinion I don't think it wouild be very easy to get Harris Teeter in this area for a few reasons, but a smaller more local grocer -- Home Economist would be perfect. No idea how good their business is, but when I shop there on South it is never all that busy. I think this would be a better location, actually, considering how many homes are directly in the area -- homes near the South location aren't really all that close in terms of driving distance and few are close enough for what most consider walking distance. NoDa...different story.

I think Home Economist is a much better fit for NoDa than Sedgefield. I've been maybe a half dozen times to the one on South and it is really generally empty. I think that it fits not only the image of NoDa but also the people that are up there.

Does anyone know where this project is headed, or is it just a concept?

http://www.dmra.biz/#architecture-7a16e (The one on the far right)

I think this would be a better location, actually, considering how many homes are directly in the area -- homes near the South location aren't really all that close in terms of driving distance and few are close enough for what most consider walking distance. NoDa...different story.

Noda is really in need of something. I get drinks and sandwiches from Salvidore Deli, but the closest supermarket is Food Lion on Plaza, or BiLo at Eastway

Here is the rendering by the way. I like it...more creative designs are needed like this in Charlotte. However, I'm skeptical that it will look this way when/if its built. The develop has stated they are shooting for affordability, and this design probably isn't the cheapest to build. It's possible that they would spend the money on the exterior and go low budget on the interior to keep costs down. That could be appealing to artists.

post-1289-1196788914_thumb.jpg

Here is the rendering by the way. I like it...more creative designs are needed like this in Charlotte. However, I'm skeptical that it will look this way when/if its built. The develop has stated they are shooting for affordability, and this design probably isn't the cheapest to build. It's possible that they would spend the money on the exterior and go low budget on the interior to keep costs down. That could be appealing to artists.

post-1289-1196788914_thumb.jpg

This is out past craighead right? weird location for this type of project, even with the rennaisance project coming into view.

The dumb thing is that I already added to my draft project map in Photoshop, I guess I had just not connected the name in my memory. I am so happy to see that the projects are pushing past Craighead, where Davidson shifts. It is currently light industry now, but that area is a great candidate for a reborn urban extension of NoDa because it is only 1/3 of a mile from the planned Sugar Creek Station on the NorthEast Blue Line extension. Given that the design is so interesting and on a grander scale, that will set a very strong trend and statement for that area.

Great to see another block of storefronts! As much as I love visiting NoDa, I always feel disappointed when I get to the end of the street because there's nothing to do but turn around and go back the other way. Having a true "district" there rather than a retail avenue is a huge step forward and I hope it creates some more positive momentum for nearby blocks.

Two things today:

1. There is a sign on the property announcing the coming of "The Mercury" (which is the Neighborhood Theater parcels). I thought I noticed the website being themercury.com but that's not right. I'll take another look tomorrow.

2. There was a surveying team at the parcels for Galleries at Noda (which is the Anderson/Craighead/Davidson parcels).

Two things today:

1. There is a sign on the property announcing the coming of "The Mercury" (which is the Neighborhood Theater parcels). I thought I noticed the website being themercury.com but that's not right. I'll take another look tomorrow.

2. There was a surveying team at the parcels for Galleries at Noda (which is the Anderson/Craighead/Davidson parcels).

The website is mercurynoda.com. Beautiful website, very prelim, but looks exciting. Definitely seems to be the largest development in Noda to date. I think the site plans were posted earlier but there's no rendering. Check it out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an updated rendering of 28th Ro, I hadn't seen....it's good to see them moving forward.

nu_rendering.jpg

Speaking of 28th Row, Greg Godley (one of the developers) and George Shield (of Village of Ballantyne and The Tremont fame) are looking to do a new project on Craighead just west of the rail crossing in NoDa. It will be located at the site of the Abernathy Lumbermill. I was happy to hear they are keeping the old steam-whistle on the site, which is pretty cool, as I was reprimanded by my parents many times as a kid for playing on it each time we would go pick up lumber. I'm always happy when some "historic" artifact can be preserved, because it does invoke memories among some, and you just can't recreate stuff like that.

It's good to see NoDa jump the tracks, and hopefully this will spur development along Craighead to Tryon.

I noticed what appears to be a new sign on the side of a building that says Historic North Charlotte. This of course is the original name for Noda and the name the area had for the first 85 years of the 20th century. Old timers in Charlotte still refer to Noda as North Charlotte. Could it be they are going to move away from the made up NoDa name and go back to the traditional name for the community?

I kind of like "North Charlotte" better. It sounds (and is) more authentic. I have a theory that "North Charlotte" is less popular (besides the obvious reasons of trendy rebranding) because when you talk about the other directional Charlottes (eg: South Charlotte), you are generally not referring to one neighborhood, but a large swath of land that comprises many neighborhoods, subdivisions, and stripmalls that is generally further removed from center city than North Charlotte is.

I hope they are just shoring up that name rather than trying to rebrand. I like it when places have overlapping names. NoDa, North Davidson Arts District, Historic North Charlotte -- all are descriptive and meaningful for that neighborhood. Although I don't really love names like NoDa, the fact is, it seems that every city has one and in this case both North Davidson and North Charlotte are confusing to people because of the town of Davidson and the fact is it is no where near where people now consider north Charlotte to be. But, the fact is, when SouthEnd was the southern end of town and part of Dilworth, NoDa was the northern end of town and called North Charlotte. We can't be too rigid in our names and to think they can't evolve based on simplicity or popularity (does anyone really call LA "El Pueblo de Nuestra Se