NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

here is a driveby shot of Fat City underconstruction

house11008017uq2.jpg

This building looks to be 5 story. Can you build residential of wood frame to 5 story in Mecklenburg County? The buildings presence is a little looming for the surrounding streetscape. Hopefully there will be good exterior finish details.

This building looks to be 5 story. Can you build residential of wood frame to 5 story in Mecklenburg County? The buildings presence is a little looming for the surrounding streetscape. Hopefully there will be good exterior finish details.

Technically you can build five stories of stick in Mecklenburg. There are two ways. First and most economical is to build 4 stories where one of the stories has a loft with it, brining the total to 5. The second way is to incorporate sprinklers and fire rated lumber. This option is a bit more expensive which I imagine is the reason why we have not seen it done in our county yet.

I was going to comment on this when I saw the picture yesterday. The answer is yes, but what they've done I think is pushing the stick-framed envelope on height so to speak. It is really a 6 story building. The bottom floor is steel framed for the commercial space, with poured concrete ceiling for separation of uses. Then the top floor is really just a high-ceiling lofted design, so I believe that would save them from technically considering it two separate floors even though it has two levels of living. It's a creative way to go high with wood-framing, and with pricing under $250/psf, they really had to go this route or risk pricing it dramatically above everything else in the neighborhood.

^ Edit...I see Fringe beat me to it....so yeah, what he said :) But just to clarify, I believe The Renwick/Enclave is the sole example of the The Fringe's second example of the more expensive way to build 5 stories of sticks.

2nd Edit.....I'm really glad you posted a picture Escapist. This is the one project I haven't visited in my trips back to Charlotte, and no one ever posts pics of the NoDa area.

^ Edit...I see Fringe beat me to it....so yeah, what he said :) But just to clarify, I believe The Renwick/Enclave is the sole example of the The Fringe's second example of the more expensive way to build 5 stories of sticks.

Actually the Enclave is the first option, 4 stories with loft/mezzanine.

I think the only project that was aggressively pursuing it to date in mecklenburg was, sorry forgot the name, the one at Hawthorne and Independence but I think it has since been modified to option one as well.

I agree that the skeleton is quite looming. I love the midrise village setting along N. Davidson. Hopefully the replica Fat City wall will mitigate the awkwardness.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but there is a rezoning for a redevelopment of a block between NoDa@28th and the dormitory home that helps combat homelessness.

They'll build 150 residences in 4-5 story buildings, and retain the old warehouse on the site for 50ksf of retail or office.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2008-070.htm

Here is the aerial of the site:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...0&encType=1

This really helps to move momentum further south connecting NoDa to Optimist Park. This helps fill in the current void just north of Cordelia park.

I am not completely sure if it is the same owner as NoDa@28, but given the ownership company being called NoDa@27, I would not be completely surprised if it was the same group just expanding on their experience a block away.

Yes, and this will also add sidewalks to a stretch that doesn't have that. It just has a barbed wire fence and industrial vehicles and buildings. While industry is good for the city in the big picture, it really needs to slowly move to the 485 corridor where it can be farther from dense neighborhoods.

Looking at the Rezoning App I can confirm that the same people that are doing 28th Row are also doing this planned Noda @ 27th. Looks to be a decent infill development. There is a planned Blue Line LRT stop at 27th St just a few blocks from this site so getting this development in the pipeline now will only increase the ridership projections for the line. Its also good to see they are going to rehab the old warehouse on site.

I didn't even think about the transit angle. That is great news if they can now legitimately count those residences in the transit projections.

I felt that the renderings included were definitely of the general style of a lot that is going up, but I love that scale (5 story buildings), and they have included ground level commercial space in almost all of their buildings.

I would like to see these renderings in color. It looks as if they could take this two ways: the standard Charlotte vertical 5 story condo unit that has become commonplace especially in South End. Or, with a little color, they could break this up into a collection of row style buildings, in different colors, with different feels. I may be looking into the renderings too much, but I see cafe seatings below a European feel living complex (specifically the streetfronting balconies and pitches of some of the rooflines). One can only dream.

After looking at this rezoning a little more, I love how they have incorporated street parking on all four sides of the block, including Davidson Street. I think that stretch of Davidson will start to become more walkable and urban with street parking and better sidewalks. It already does have buildings that come close to the curb, and the trend continues in that vein, so it really just takes the infrastructural element to make that happen. Considering this is just north of the northern terminus of Little Sugar Creek Greenway, and you figure that, eventually, many people will go between NoDa and the greenway, having this infrastructure built up will be great.

They do need to figure out how to spur redevelopment of the industrial sites across Davidson from this project, though, to truly connect it to the planned light rail station. But given that there is a creek right there, it might be public right away for the building of a sidewalk connector like a mini-greeway to the station from all these residences.

As for the design, it does appear to have some sections that have verticle slats, and other sections with bricks above the window. Given that 28-Row got metal and brick siding and not tacky EIFS, I'm optimistic that this won't be the Charlotte standard plastic putty siding. But we'll need to wait and see. Nothing about the design rules that out, though.

As long as you keep looking at em', I'll keep snappin' pictures on my walks around the 'hood.

Here's Steel Gardens and North Charlotte Park.

house11008027sj5.jpg

I have really come to love Steel Gardens. I've been following construction for about a year and drove by there last weekend and was just blown away. I simply love the rooftop patios and the model unit was incredible (toured the model last Fall).

Just across the parking lot though is Royal Truss. I had not checked them out in several months and now I am really sold on them. The rendering online does them no justice. I was able to tour 2 units (end unit and middle unit) and just love the floor plan. Great for singles or couples but I wouldn't recommend these for couple with a kid or two. NoDa is looking great these days and the surrounding neighborhoods are really shaping up nicely.

I am of two minds regarding the Mercury redevelopment profiled in The Observer. NoDa is too small and needs more commercial vitality. Mercury should bring that. I hope the retail that is added is not chain oriented. Starbucks does not belong there. I love Dilworth but North Davidson is not and should not become a clone of East Blvd. The condos are being marketed as "workforce housing" well that is true for some but still out of reach for many. The fast pace of Mercury needs to be matched by quick redevelopment of the mills. Following through with the promise of truly affordable rental housing there is crucial to help offset some of the overwhelming advantage held by the higher end of the market.

Edited by voyager12

NoDa is clearly a difficult design challenge. The site plan for Mercury is a pretty mixed bag. Firstly, saving existing buildings? Wow, who knew it could be done! I also really like the pedestrian alley way being created. Its that kind of tight urban scale that I think really makes NoDa stand out among its neighborhood peers.

However, "Foster said an arbor at the back of the site would help buffer the new masonry buildings from existing homes," is not an acceptable strategy for addressing the single family homes along Mercury and Alexander. Those streets are not alleys. Do not treat them as such.

I have two questions about Mercury...

1) There are now two trailers (mobile homes) on the Mercury lot...is it common for a project like this to get trailers on the lot before building begins? In other words...is this any sign that they may start building soon?

2) How will they keep investors out of this project...stop the units from being bought up by speculators...or can they stop this?

Edited by lukedog

I have two questions about Mercury...

1) There are now two trailers (mobile homes) on the Mercury lot...is it common for a project like this to get trailers on the lot before building begins? In other words...is this any sign that they may start building soon?

2) How will they keep investors out of this project...stop the units from being bought up by speculators...or can they stop this?

1) One is used as the office of the developer -- will probably change to the construction office. The other, I've been told, is the sales office.

2) Nothing you can really do about it unfortunately.

Recently I ventured out of uptown and spent a night in Noda. Some friends and I went and saw a show at the Neighborhood Theater and then went to several bars in the heart of Noda. I absolutely loved it! After reading todays Next Big Thing I really wished I had bought a unit in Noda a few years back. I haven't checked the prices lately but I'm sure they've gone sky high.

2) Well, the developer can write whatever they want into the contracts for purchasing units. City-wise, though, getting that involved/regulated could get pretty ugly.

My point was only that you can do all you can to keep out investors, but you really won't prevent them if they really want to buy. Contracts can have language that asks if you are an investor and what your intentions are, but you can't really do anything if someone lies or if they legitimately change their mind - lots of things can happen in the span of a year or two between contract and completion. Some contracts have language that state that developers have right of first refusal if you go to sell a property within a given time period after closing, typically 12 months, but the developer has to buy back the unit, they can't just say you can't sell.

Recently I ventured out of uptown and spent a night in Noda. Some friends and I went and saw a show at the Neighborhood Theater and then went to several bars in the heart of Noda. I absolutely loved it! After reading todays Next Big Thing I really wished I had bought a unit in Noda a few years back. I haven't checked the prices lately but I'm sure they've gone sky high.

If I didn't live in and love downtown I'd be in NoDa. I love the energy and activity there. It is probably my favorite place for an all over fun time at night. We went to the Dog Bar with our pups this past Friday -- what a great fun place (if you love dogs like we do!). My parents were in from Durham and we took them too -- they fell in love with NoDa and with this particular bar.

I really like this project, and hopefully the soon to be announced Galleries at NoDa just north of the Renaissance and Colony projects. It's strong density that will remove some of the un-urban parcels in "downtown NoDa".

It's also seeking LEED certification, which should help it be a bit more competitive in this tougher market (among new construction). Pricing is getting tough though...at $250/sq. ft. this is pushing the ceiling there. The small unit sizes keep the overall prices down somewhat, and the prime location and community features should help it sell.

I'll be interested to see if they really can attract a specialty grocer. In my mind, I can't see who would go to this location, just because the trade area is still so small....we'll see, hopefully they will get someone in there.

Also, I think overall, that NoDa has the highest quality in terms of urban design and architecture that fits its context of any other neighborhood in Charlotte. Maybe that's just a fancy way of saying no EIFS on top of 2 stories of the cheapest brick possible, but most projects so far do seem to be both sensative to their site, but still offer a little bit of edginess.

The thing that fascinates me about Noda is that it has been the "upcoming" neighborhood at least since 1985, but a mass migration of people there, where it can have the critical mass to attract more retailers, seems to always be a moving target 5 years away. Since we started UrbanPlanet, in 2003 it really has not changed that much relative to the rest of inner Charlotte and the changes that happened kinda sent it in the wrong direction. (IMO)

Maybe what has happened was that the pricing got ahead of where it should be at it's current state and really hampered it as well as the people moving there really have no interest in a true urban neighborhood. So instead of getting a nice eclectic organic neighborhood, we are instead getting an artificial one that pretends it is something other than it really is. (loss of Fat City, Kellys, etc to be replace by new devleopment) The effect of this and a bigger problem is that Noda is no longer integrated with the surrounding neighborhoods. Go over a few streets and it's like you traveled 100 miles. It wasn't like this 10 years ago, but it is definitely like this now. It's like the people moving there want a place with grit, but only after it has been washed first.

Maybe what has happened was that the pricing got ahead of where it should be at it's current state and really hampered it as well as the people moving there really have no interest in a true urban neighborhood. So instead of getting a nice eclectic organic neighborhood, we are instead getting an artificial one that pretends it is something other than it really is. (loss of Fat City, Kellys, etc to be replace by new devleopment) The effect of this and a bigger problem is that Noda is no longer integrated with the surrounding neighborhoods. Go over a few streets and it's like you traveled 100 miles. It wasn't like this 10 years ago, but it is definitely like this now. It's like the people moving there want a place with grit, but only after it has been washed first.

I'd say that hits it right on the head. Most truly "edgy/hip" neighborhoods remain crappy places for a long time. Artists get cheap studio space, eclectic vendors and shop owners get bargain-basement prices that allow them to operate with much less overhead. So when NoDa got all that buzz (including the generic name "NoDa"), people saw it as the "next big thing" and prices got out of control.

Sadly we did lose places like FatCity that are so hard to find in this town. NoDa has never been "bustling", at least not in it's current incarnation, but I have great hopes for what it can be. At this point it looks like what it can be is a cool urban neighborhood with a slightly edgier fair than the rest of Charlotte. It's never going to be our "weird" area of town.