NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Revolution's pizza is good but are where are the affordable pizza places? The small pizza the size of a large cookie is $7 without any toppings and if you are anorexic then you can eat large. They still have more beer on tap than the others in NoDa but even it's costs more and no specials like my mellow mushroom. I paid almost $18 for a pizza that I normally get elsewhere, for $5 less and it's 1/3,maybe 1/2, smaller atleast. I bought a huge pie in Chicago,pan, for the exact price and I wasn't still hungry afterwords and I had leftovers. There's a problem when you can get a cheaper pie in Chicago than this place in Charlotte. Again, the area is becoming more affluent but without the shoppers/diners that can afford to shop or eat there. Notice most of those going under sell art/clothes/etc... beyond the means of the average NoDa neighbor. I know there are alot of nice, new homes here but you need to attract the neighbors that live beside, behind and around them as well when opening in today's economic climate. Am I wrong? Are there studies to show something different? I would love to be wrong, but I don't think I am on this.

Revolution's pizza is good but are where are the affordable pizza places? The small pizza the size of a large cookie is $7 without any toppings and if you are anorexic then you can eat large. They still have more beer on tap than the others in NoDa but even it's costs more and no specials like my mellow mushroom. I paid almost $18 for a pizza that I normally get elsewhere, for $5 less and it's 1/3,maybe 1/2, smaller atleast. I bought a huge pie in Chicago,pan, for the exact price and I wasn't still hungry afterwords and I had leftovers. There's a problem when you can get a cheaper pie in Chicago than this place in Charlotte. Again, the area is becoming more affluent but without the shoppers/diners that can afford to shop or eat there. Notice most of those going under sell art/clothes/etc... beyond the means of the average NoDa neighbor. I know there are a lot of nice, new homes here but you need to attract the neighbors that live beside, behind and around them as well when opening in today's economic climate. Am I wrong? Are there studies to show something different? I would love to be wrong, but I don't think I am on this.

I agree, Chicago, New York, and San Francisco have a lot more cheaper options in comparison to some foods. You would think it would be the opposite because Charlotte is suppose to have a less expensive standard of living. Of coarse food isn't the only factor to comparing standard of living. Taxes, Gas, Insurance, Rent, all come into play.

I've found cheaper and better supper burritos in San Francisco, like wise in Chicago and New York for pizza, hot dogs, and Italian beef sandwiches, among other foods. My theory is that it has to do with volume, competition and distributors. Chicago and New York have hundreds of pizza parlors and hot dog vendors. There is constant competitiveness with quality and pricing. They also see a higher volume in customers that would make it cost effective to compete. Where as in Charlotte the volume would be a lot less. Also I think since those cities are so populated with people and with restaurants, I would assume they have a plethora of vendors and distributors they can get their goods form, and when buying in the volumes they buy in should bring down cost. I would also think shipping would add to the cost for Charlotte restaurants having to buy products from those or other cities that they can't get locally. Like Matt's Chicago dogs in Charlotte uses Vienna Beef hot dogs, which are from Chicago. Also it wouldn't surprise me if Revolution had a high lease, for that building. It's fairly new (within 6-8 years I think), and it takes up a lot of land. I personally think it doesn't really connect well with the street level though. I do wish local restaurants could find ways to maybe buy local ingredients and somehow bring down food cost and pass that along to the consumers.

the food is much cheaper in charlotte than in new york. you can get cheap-as-all-hell street food in nyc. but if we're talking sit down, charlotte wins hands down. many of the pizza places i frequent in brooklyn are $20-25 for a large "pie."

Agreed, I don't know what people are talking about. For a Large crappy NY Style Pizza with hamburger that looks like it was scrapped off the grill in my neighborhood in Brooklyn, its 18-20 bux. For a good large pie its 20-25 dollars. The only good pizza I've had in Brooklyn was out in bensonhurst at Spumoni Gardens. So please someone recommend something in manhattan or brooklyn.

I agree, Chicago, New York, and San Francisco have a lot more cheaper options in comparison to some foods. You would think it would be the opposite because Charlotte is suppose to have a less expensive standard of living. Of coarse food isn't the only factor to comparing standard of living. Taxes, Gas, Insurance, Rent, all come into play.

The only cheap food options in NYC are chains, street meat, hot dogs stands, and some Delis. In manhattan expect to pay 20-25 for a large pie, 12-18 for a burger, 4-6 for a side, 9 bux for a half dozen wings, 5 dollars for a Miller Light, 5.50 for a Yuengling, 6.50 for a Corona, and 7.00 for Stella. There is one place I know of to get cheap pizza in New York City (other than sbarro), and thats Crocodile Lounge where you get a free personal pizza when you order a beer, its actually a fantastic system. Chicago and San Francisco do have good cheap options, however, New York City does not have many at all.

Edited by Guest

Ok New york chicago and san francisco have pizza that costs more than Charlotte but I was talking about Revolution versus the Chicago style pizza that I had in Chicago which was $18 but was atleast 1/3 larger than the similarly priced pizza at Revolution. What I didn't state was again this was Chicago style so in addition to being the 1/3 larger in diameter, it was covered with 5lbs of cheese and a whole pot of homemade pizza sauce on top(just kidding about the exact amounts but it was alot) while my partner's had a whole stick of pepperoni, again kidding about exact amounts. This pizza place was in downtown Chicago so it's lease couldn't be too cheap. I'm really not trying to be rude but when they brought me that pizza I actually felt offended that they would charge me $18 for that pie, or I mean cookie sized pizza with few toppings to boot. I'm not saying all of this to be mean or offending to the owners. I just wish we could find a place that's not going to go out of business in a few years because it failed to do a adequate marketing study and economic survey of the present business climate when deciding on its business concept and who it will cater to. I also want an affordable pie, not cheap. Fuel has great pizza, no not the best but that huge pie will feed you for days not minutes like the particular pizza that I had. But I will move on so I don't make this chat the findabettercheaperpizza room.

Anyway, does anybody know what's going in the Jamaican restaurant. I've spied people renovating when I could see in. Also, Jack n Chill moving up it's going out of business date to Feb. 6.

Another different tangent, but look at that 28th row. It's now finally really coming along. I can't wait to see the real, finished project. Hopefully it will force the city to add and mow the sidewalks along N.Davidson in this area up to uptown. Then if the cops would stop those crazy red light runners, life would be perfect.

Well the difference is the ingredients like Gouda instead of Mozzarella and the fact that they have an actual reputable chef working in their kitchen. Its supposed to be a more upscale pizza than others you would find in charlotte.

. Fuel has great pizza, no not the best but that huge pie will feed you for days not minutes like the particular pizza that I had. But I will move on so I don't make this chat the findabettercheaperpizza room..
I have always found Fuel Pizza over-hyped and mediocre at best. To me their sauce is bland, and more times than not I have gotten a pizza from them that turns soggy. IMO it's sign they don't have people that understand how to make and cook dough, or they have value engineered the process. They seem more focused on selling an "experience". There are many good independent pizza makers in Charlotte as noted above by many people. These places are going to be local so it's hard to say what is the best pizza in Charlotte. There are lots of bests for every area.

Good pizza is also a labor intensive food that requires relatively expensive ingredients. The good places make their own sauce and rise their own dough from scratch. (this takes skill and experience) This is what makes a good pizza expensive. The cheaper places, the chains, and the theme places all make cuts in these steps that reduce the cost.

It's not hard to find very good pizza in Charlotte, but expect to pay over $20 for a large deluxe or specialty pie. For people that are looking to get stuffed or have a bunch of kids to feed, then there is always the CiCis $3.99 buffet. Of course Wally World sells a super large take and bake pizza for less than 10 bucks that will feed you all week.

• 2 weeks later...

Great info in the latest NoDa News....Crepe Cellar is moving into the vacant spot that formerly housed Addies. Besides the obvious it will also sell various types of sandwiches etc. Slated to open in March. I still miss Addies. The service was atrocious but worth the hassle because the food was so good ( when they actually had food to serve). Oh well glad to see that life is returning to that space. Hope they do well. I will definitely be visiting.

How AWESOME that Amelie's is open 24/7 ! Definitely dropping by next weekend for a late night treat!

Edited by voyager12

Great news indeed! I've been looking for a good crepe in Charlotte! I got hooked on them at the farmers market in Downtown Charleston, they have a stand that makes them every saturday morning during the summer... amazing. Can't wait to check this place out.

And is Amelie's truly open 24/7??? That's crazy! Crazy good that I can go get stuff there whenever now.

Great news indeed! I've been looking for a good crepe in Charlotte! I got hooked on them at the farmers market in Downtown Charleston, they have a stand that makes them every saturday morning during the summer... amazing. Can't wait to check this place out.

And is Amelie's truly open 24/7??? That's crazy! Crazy good that I can go get stuff there whenever now.

Here's the Crepe Cellar website: http://www.crepecellar.com/CrepeCellar/Welcome.html

Can't wait for this one to open.

Ahh yeah, just what that NoDa needs..... Another restaurant that uses all the buzz words, "intimate", "rustic", "energetic", "neighborhood kitchen" (it's not cool to call yourself a restaurant anymore), then turns around and describes themselves as serving up everyday European cuisine. (can't call it food either) What exactly does the average European eat every day?

Somehow, I don't think there is a lot to get excited about here as it only goes back to what I said above in that NoDa has become a bubble obvious to its surroundings. Like Epcot, its nice to visit once but then there is no reason to go back.

^I'm glad the proprietors in NoDa (whom are mostly local neighborhood folks) are aiming for a more intimate experience. I'll puke if I hear another new establishment come online that uses the words "upscale" or "luxury."

As for the "restaurant" tag, I am sure that is a nod to the fact that when NoDa is hoppin' on Fri/Sat night, and all the business are opendoor/window to the street,Davidson St. often feels like the neighborhood's living room.

The difference that I appreciate in NoDa over PM or Elizabeth- is that since Davidson is not a busy thoroughfare, the street becomes another living space for the people.

As long as they have good crepes I'm all for it. I've been saying for years that someone in Charlotte needs to open up a place that serves a large variety of savory crepes. There aren't many places in Charlotte that you can get your crepe fix on and the restaurants that even have savory crepes usually only have one or two to choose from.

• 2 weeks later...

28th Ro...the buildings in the rear of the site have been framed and fireproofing is getting applied. They haven't done much on the buildings along 27th, except stub utilities and pour footings.

post-1289-1235079146_thumb.jpg

Fat City Lofts is crawling at this point. Still waiting to see that "commissioned" grafitti.

post-1289-1235079184_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

NoDa has a very active neighborhood association that is working very hard to maintain the integrity of the hood. I head up a committee that helps guide the communities input and relationship with developers and outside interests. In our attempt to keep our neighbors well informed, I've spent a lot of time putting together many resources - one of which I would like to share with you all:

This is the NoDa Vision Google map. It outlines a ton of current, future, and possible developments in NoDa. It allows our neighbors to see their house, and be informed and comment about their surroundings. We also have a forum for the committee that lets us have a running dialogue about the future of NoDa. None of us are professional planners, just informed and active neighbors. Some of us have professions that help us understand things better, but for the most part, we're laymen with a vested interest.

Anyway, enjoy the map, and if anyone out there feels like they could contribute, please shoot me an email, or PM

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...013819&z=16

PS: It's not entirely finished, I suppose it may never be. But I'm ready to show it off because I am proud of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Exciting news on the local music front..........

NoDa Studios Grand Opening is March 28th. Open House from 1 to 4pm . @ 3713 N. Davidson. Local bands and the public are invited to a panel discussion at 4:00 regarding the mission of NoDa Studios. Bands are asked to rsvp at [email protected] for tour reservations to look at performance space : 24hr access,heat,AC and no lease requirement. Sounds like a nice setup, Johnny Colt from The Black Crowes is a co-owner.

In the evening a charity concert is being held at Snug Harbor.

Details can be found in Amps 11. They had a redesign a few months back and I think they have found their niche as a great local music rag.

Exciting news on the local music front..........

NoDa Studios Grand Opening is March 28th. Open House from 1 to 4pm . @ 3713 N. Davidson. Local bands and the public are invited to a panel discussion at 4:00 regarding the mission of NoDa Studios. Bands are asked to rsvp at [email protected] for tour reservations to look at performance space : 24hr access,heat,AC and no lease requirement. Sounds like a nice setup, Johnny Colt from The Black Crowes is a co-owner.

In the evening a charity concert is being held at Snug Harbor.

Details can be found in Amps 11. They had a redesign a few months back and I think they have found their niche as a great local music rag.

I remember hearing about how this place was supposed to be opening fall of 2007. Did it open and close and reopen or something?