NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Considering it's a study, not a plan, not likely anytime soon.

The photos in the 2006 study do show how easy it would be to reopen Herrin as a full fledged street if the AC&W were removed. The main reason the street was closed would seem to be the low clearance, not cut-through traffic. Though I'm sure some in "old" NoDa wouldn't want "those" people in the Renaissance development using "their" street.

If ultimately wanting to keep a grade-separation over Herrin for the trail following the relocated tracks, the new bike-ped bridge would just need to provide a little more clearance than today's railroad bridge. But that's kind of silly considering Herrin would be a low-volume, low-speed, local street. Hence, not too difficult to find gaps in traffic to cross.

• 1 month later...

^ i don't remember the site plan but it looks like they're starting on a second phase (nearer davidson) now. or is this something else?

There has been some site work around that part, but I don't really know much about it other than what I see. It looks like electrical/plumbing is in place around the foundation. A good bit of news is that the parking and road areas around the shops is finished (the unpaved gravel/mud was looking nasty). Looks like 27th Street is about finished as well.

There has been some site work around that part, but I don't really know much about it other than what I see. It looks like electrical/plumbing is in place around the foundation. A good bit of news is that the parking and road areas around the shops is finished (the unpaved gravel/mud was looking nasty). Looks like 27th Street is about finished as well.

I asked the developers about the second phase and they said that they will be pouring the concrete foundations this week (and I saw them doing that this morning) - but will not go vertical until the Summer. They we're glad to be in good financial shape with lenders and ready to keep moving.

I've seen the units the back phase and they look pretty good! All things considered, this group of guys have made some good decisions that I am glad to have in our neighborhood.

I drove by this the other day and was generally pleased with the finished buildings. One thing I couldn't figure out is if there is supposed to be another phase in the very rear of the property (furthest from Davidson) It looks like there is enough room for an additional row of buildings behind what was already built.

• 2 months later...

NoDa Public Gallery blog.

Hello everyone. This is a link to a "project" that is going on in NoDa. I thought you all might be interested. It is a community placemaking group of artists in the neighborhood. We're always looking for contributions and suggestions, so please comment on the blog, pass it on and/or send us an email!

We're looking for more examples of community placemaking to inspire - such as the pocket fountain/courtyard in 4th Ward (do you have a picture of that?).

Thanks!!

Neighborhood Theater has always represented the heart of NoDa to me. A closure would be so sad. The mill rehab is comatose, Mercury Noda seems to be the same way. Having a shuttered NT given it's location in the center of the district would be a major buzzkill. It's one of the few places in Charlotte where I feel a sense of place and soul. The shows I have attended there are usually pretty packed but it's extremely tough for them to compete with Fillmore and the other corporate backed giants. Hopefully a collective rescue plan can be created or a white knight can come through.

^ i can't believe it. i feel sick over it. i feel especially bad for those living in NoDa as that would be a HUGE blow to the area if a solution isn't found.

however i am optimistic and give it an 80% chance of being saved, if not immediately then in the very near future. the place is simply too popular to not make it.

I thought they said the reason why they are closing it is because they aren't making enough money, so it can't be that popular then, which is surprising to me. I really hope it can stay open.

i've been to about 12 shows there over the 2 years and none have been under-attended at all. some sold out, most were at least pretty packed. anytime i see something going on there it looks similarly busy from the outside.

with the steady lineup they've had i just find it hard to believe that there aren't some kind of unique circumstances. i'm sure the addition of the Fillmore hurts but it really didn't seem like their target acts overlapped THAT much. anyway the place has a large amount of loyalty around it so i think it will pull through one way or another.

btw, come to the free Mantras show there Friday, buy beer and help them out i guess!

Edited by nonillogical

I imagine the ripple effect would be pretty heinous. Many people combine dinner in NoDa with a show at Neighborhood. In many respects NT operates as the Mothership of the district with the other smaller joints revolving around it. I really can't fathom NoDa without it's central emblem of identity. Well, if they do go dark hopefully Evening Muse will begin bursting at the seams and will expand.....trying to find an upside to this downer sad.gif

What a shame it would be. It seems like their space might be too big for the general acts they bring in. I feel like their main competitor in the market is The Visulite Theatre. They seem to book similar acts. Overall, I bet the whole live music industry is down. I don't know about any of you, but I have definitely passed down a number of shows this past year due to funds.

Another aspect of this. You would think that the property owner would do whatever they could to keep NT in business. It's not like the space could be used for much else?

Another aspect of this. You would think that the property owner would do whatever they could to keep NT in business. It's not like the space could be used for much else?

The property owner is the developer of The Mercury. The Mercury was based on rehabilitating and anchoring of the Neighborhood Theater. Now...

The owner of the property was quoted as saying Neighborhood Theatre is "here to stay". Only the management group is leaving. They are apparently already in talks with various other management groups to take over the venue.

P.S. The problem with this place can be seen by many of the posts above. "It's a local legend, a great venue, etc. I've never been, but everyone who has says they love it..."

There's a delicate balance between remaining 'underground' yet still bringing in the 'mainstream' crowds.

Edited by plaza-midwood

The owner of the property was quoted as saying Neighborhood Theatre is "here to stay". Only the management group is leaving. They are apparently already in talks with various other management groups to take over the venue.

P.S. The problem with this place can be seen by many of the posts above. "It's a local legend, a great venue, etc. I've never been, but everyone who has says they love it..."

From reading the article, it sounded like a big part of the issue was the high operating costs due to the age of the building; repairs, won't keep heat/AC because it is so drafty. If you have a small profit margin to being with, these can be tough to deal with.

NT's ownership structure is migraine inducing. So the current group running the theater don't own the building, but they own the space? The company behind the long aborning Mercury NoDa condo project owns the actual property?

Mercury Tyler owns the whole complex including NT, Boudreaux's, Sanctuary, Real Eyes, Wine Up, Brown Bag plus the parking lots and part of Mercury St. Each business owner owns their business though.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I were walking the dog around in the snow and I noticed what appears to be "some" preliminary work on another phase of Steel Gardens. This project is just excellent. It's very full and everyone that lives there seems to really like it. North Charlotte Park has turned into a really great park as a result!

Here's the site plan, I highlighted all COMPLETE PHASES in lime-green. And highlighted the PRELIMINARY work I noticed in red. Basically, it seems like they have cut back the trees on the property to allow for impending construction of more 3 story flats. Or so it seems...

74724838.jpg