NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I have a small rezoning up at the corner of Holt and Herrin I would like to share with everyone, but I can not figure out how to attach the documents. Any help?

Since you're a new member, you probably don't have permission to host files yet. But you can upload them to a web based host (like www.imageshack.us), and then put the link here.

I've seen your rezoning (just the site plan) on Charmeck. I do a lot with NoDa's development and I'd love to see more... have you heard from the NoDa Neighborhood Association yet? You'll want to go to them with the rezoning too.

You can also just link directly to the zoning page: http://www.charmeck....ns/2010-059.htm

-Here is the streetscape rendering http://img535.images...reetscapek.pdf/

-Color site plan http://img535.images...rsiteplan5.pdf/

As shown on the renderings, we have had custom plans drawn that will maintain the look and balance of the neighborhood and Holt St in particular. The homes will have very nice features including sunken 10ft great rooms with coffered ceilings. If anyone is interested in seeing the floorplans send me an email. [email protected]

From the O today - city gets offer to buy mill buildings

I have no real opinion on this I guess.

I just don't know what's best to do with these buildings (and I can see them from my porch - they look worse and worse every single day).

I'm not surprised that private developers want in on these things, even if the BLE never happens, they're a great property. But I'm concerned about how they will be redeveloped. I read:

Sari and Company and The Bainbridge Companies recently sent City Manager Curt Walton an offer to buy the mills and convert them to upscale apartments or condos, with some units set aside for affordable housing

and get very concerned that no one understands the market in this neighborhood.

:Well, they do mention setting aside some units for affordable housing. That is a good sign, but I just don't see "upscale" anything anywhere selling all that well these days.

Right down the block "Mercury NoDa" has been going nowhere for years and these guys think their project will fly?

Edited by Forrest

• 4 weeks later...

NCDOT and NCRR are offering a public open house to discuss the very-eminent grade separation of Sugar Creek Road (below) the railroad tracks. Part of this proposal is also the permanent closing of Craighead Road at N. Davidson Street.

And very much linked to this project is the grade separation of 36th Street @ the railroad tracks (although the two bridges are not the same project by any means).

For anyone concerned or with questions - the public open house is Tomorrow from 5-7pm at Sugaw Creek Presby (corner of Sugar Creek & Tryon). You can just stop in and ask questions - I plan to do this.

Here is a link to the press release:

http://www.ncdot.org/doh/PRECONSTRUCT/pe/ohe/publicinv/Notice/Mecklenburg_U5008_072010.pdf

Here's my report for my 'hood - thought I'd share with you all too:

The project is being developed by NCDOT's Railroad Division - so the slant will be decidedly toward roads rather than railroads - but the overall purpose is to clear the railroad corridor of pesky cars. I found out some background about the corridor: NCRR owns this corridor and leases it to Norfolk Southern. (NCRR also owns the A&CWRR corridor and leases it, which I did not know). Like I said, NCDOT's RR Division is organizing the Sugar Creek project with Federal monies (they have applied for the second Tier grants which will be awarded in October), but NCRR and N-S will both contribute money too.

The design work has not even started in earnest - they think design will take about 1.5 years. And construction will take 2 years. So even if they get money this October, the project wouldn't be finished until early 2014. Since design has not even started, they have not made a decision about whether to "tunnel" Sugar Creek, or to "bridge" NCRR over - they are leaning toward "tunneling." The tunneling project would involve two possibly-historic commercial buildings on Sugar Creek @ NCRR who sit VERY close to the road. Either way, Sugar Creek will get sidewalks per the city plans/LYNX concept. There are no solid plans for how/what the sidewalks will look like or work (both or one side of the street and how it will interact with the new intersection at N. Davidson Street).

Craighead will not be closed until the Sugar Creek project is complete. They are accepting suggestions such as adding a light at Davidson/Sugar Creek, but point out that if that were to happen, they would want to realign Davidson to make a 4 way intersection at Redwood - this would mean wiping out many buildings here (including Dammit Janet and other viable businesses) and realigning Davidson. I hate this idea, but I understand the appeal of a 4-way intersection. Bearwood Ave would be closed at N. Davidson Street no matter what (mainly because the grade changes).

36th Street bridge is being driven by CATS/City of Charotte, but if CATS/City of Charlotte were unable to secure money or momentum, NCDOT RR Division would look at the possibility of driving that too - but that is not the plan now. They are working under the assumption that 36th Street bridge will happen in tandem with, or shortly after their Sugar Creek project. Again, NCRR and N-S are being hit up to cover some of those costs.

NCDOT RR Division is in a 30 day community comments period right now. They will accept comments by email. I don't have the email with me right now, but I'll post it in the next couple days. I've already written out my comments and will be submitting them.

EDIT (oh one more thing): as "consolation" for closing Craighead, NCDOT RR would consider paying for Philemon Ave to be extended from Craighead to E. 36th Street with the help of City of Charlotte securing/paying for the ROW acquisition.

Edited by The Escapists

• 3 weeks later...

growlers.jpg

Growlers Pourhouse is now open in the old Niche Market space (next to Crepe Cellar). The upfit of the building looks phenomenal! The front wall is all glass windows and it really feels like you'r just hanging out on the sidewalk, drinking a craft beer and eating brats.

Also: Jack Beagles is well underway in the old gray one-story building next to Salvador Deli (this building has been empty for YEARS!), and Sin City's bar and interior is almost completed in the Nevitt building (next to Yarnhouse/Dolce Vita).

growlers.jpg

Growlers Pourhouse is now open in the old Niche Market space (next to Crepe Cellar). The upfit of the building looks phenomenal! The front wall is all glass windows and it really feels like you'r just hanging out on the sidewalk, drinking a craft beer and eating brats.

Also: Jack Beagles is well underway in the old gray one-story building next to Salvador Deli (this building has been empty for YEARS!), and Sin City's bar and interior is almost completed in the Nevitt building (next to Yarnhouse/Dolce Vita).

what is Jack Beagles? i'm hoping for more of a quick service restaurant though it sounds like a bar.

i was curious about Sin City and found their facebook page:

"NoDa's next great bar will be opening August 2010. Sin City will be a Vegas themed bar complete with disco balls, slot machines, private seating and an octagon shaped bar that seats 30+ people....oh and TVs..lots of them ranging from 42-72 inches"

this doesn't sound right AT ALL, and the logo/ads on the facebook page makes it look 100% an epicentre club. i don't usually revel in the failure of any business, but i predict this one will die a quick, merciful death.

what is Jack Beagles? i'm hoping for more of a quick service restaurant though it sounds like a bar.

i was curious about Sin City and found their facebook page:

"NoDa's next great bar will be opening August 2010. Sin City will be a Vegas themed bar complete with disco balls, slot machines, private seating and an octagon shaped bar that seats 30+ people....oh and TVs..lots of them ranging from 42-72 inches"

this doesn't sound right AT ALL, and the logo/ads on the facebook page makes it look 100% an epicentre club. i don't usually revel in the failure of any business, but i predict this one will die a quick, merciful death.

Not sure what to expect from Jack Beagles. I hung out in there for a couple minutes with the owner and he said they plan to have "bar food" - and be open all night as an after-bar-greasy-spoon kind of place. Certainly didn't seem like he planned to be known for "dining experience" - I'm just glad to see the building come back to life after all these years.

I've got the same concerns about Sin City - but it is a unique idea that could work. If you've ever been to Yesteryears out on Independence and Sharron Amity, it is possible to be kitchy-cool (not kitchy-shiek). Again, I hope this place is awesome, but I'm glad to see the buildings getting used.

Speaking of "building getting used" - the city issues corrective-action/demo permits on the OLD/boarded up buildings (formerly Barbarias Pool Hall) on the other side of Davidson (between Tasty Yo and the lofts). I've only heard that the owners of those buildings had been trying to cash in for years and asking astronomical amounts of money for them. Not only are the unused, they are close to abandoned - and the city has taken notice. I'm not sure how bad of condition they are in on the inside - but something's gotta give with them someday...

There was a for sale sign up at the old Abernathy lumber site on Craighead when I drove by this morning. Most of the structures were demoed about 9 (?) months ago but its no surprise that the mixed use project proposed for the site is now officially dead. I wonder how much less attractive the parcel will be now that the Craighead NCRR crossing is scheduled to be closed?

Great views of the skyline from the parcel....

EDIT: Thanks for the clarification TE (I was trying to be optimistic about the view....)

Edited by kermit

There was a for sale sign up at the old Abernathy lumber site on Craighead when I drove by this morning. Most of the structures were demoed about 9 (?) months ago but its no surprise that the mixed use project proposed for the site is now officially dead. I wonder how much less attractive the parcel will be now that the Craighead NCRR crossing is scheduled to be closed?

Great views of the skyline from the parcel....

I know the original developers were very aware that Craighead was destined to be closed - so hopefully a new buyer would see the upside too. The original developers were looking for a connection of Philemon to 36th, and NCDOT is actually looking for that possibility too. Hopefully that will happen with a public/private investment as several projects move forward.

(Great views of the scrap metal yard and concrete plant too...)

State of NoDa Report - Sept '10:

-Espada Bicycles is expanding from the workshop behind Center of the Earth, into the leftside front with a showroom! So glad to see this happen!

-Ruby's Gift is taking the right side storefront of the former Center of the Earth. rubysgift.com

-Pura Vida is moving in to the old Beet storefront for an October opening.

-The 89 year old house on the corner of McDowell and 36th has been demo'ed for a good looking apartment building by Lat Purser. The house was cool but beyond repair, and the new project is respectable, smart and affordable. Hope to see construction happen sooner than later.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a NoDa update:

-The historic/dilapidated house (circa 1900) on the corner of McDowell & 36th has been demo'ed and the slab for a new apartment building by Lat Purser has been poured. Lat Purser did the reno of The Davy, and we expect a similar good looking building on this new site.

-Two new restaurants are very close to opening in the hood (Sin City and Jack Beagles).

-Espada bicycles has taken the former left-side of Center of the Earth.

-Ruby's Gifts still has a sign for the right-side (but no activity there).

-Pura Vida has a great new blade sign and doorway at the old location of Beet Contemporary.

-The Mill (between Boudreaux's and Real Eyes) has picked up momentum with amateur comedy night (I overhead "gay comedy night" - and I'm not sure if I heard it right - but I know my gay friends are some of the wittiest people I know, so I bet it's good if it's true).

-There's been a lot more hip hop in NoDa lately too. Evening Muse and Wine Up are to thank for art that is drenched in patchouli oil.

• 3 weeks later...

State of NoDa Report October 2010:

-Lat Purser's new apartment building on the corner of McDowell and 36th is already on the 2nd story! They demoed the house, cleared the land, graded, poured foundations and build 2 stories in ONE MONTH.

-Red Partner's new ultra-modern (Cluck Designs) studio apartments on N. Davidson @ the creek/Faison St. has cleared ground in the last couple days. Not sure if this means construction is coming, or if the clearing was for a survey. But the overgrown woods have been cut into!

-Sin City is open. I haven't been there yet, but it was packed last night.

-Jack Beagles looks ready to open any day. The interior looks about 99% ready for the public, including the kitchen, etc.

-Espada Bicycles now has the coolest blade sign on NoDa. Check it out.

-The Mill has finally stepped up their presence with a totally hole-in-the-wall-awesome black and white sign.

-Pura Vida looks awesome awesome awesome. And they have a great new back-hang-out-room.

-Ruby's Gifts finally has interior work underway.

Tonight is the Ghosts and Legends Walking Tour. This is a halloween themed history tour of the interior of NoDa (off the main intersections! imagine that!).

And Oct 30 is NoDaWeen - with the "Pimp My Pumpkin" art-auction, The Freaky 5K costumes-optional race, and Rocky Horror Picture show (complete with props!) at Neighborhood Theater. If you've never been to a Rocky Horror Picture Show event...well...you probably hate America. So come to this one.

I went last night to check out the new bars.

Sin City was open and looked laaaame. Almost empty, overlit, and devoid of any soul. It was supposed to be vegas-themed, which I thought sounded wrong for NoDa but interesting at least, but from the door I could see no theme at all. It seemed like the most generic place in NoDa.

We went to Growler's and I was very impressed. The big wooden cellar doors are awesome, and the interior is all brick and old-looking wood surfaces with metal rivets. It's not a dive, but its not upscale either. Very friendly bartenders, about 15 drafts, plus an authentic 1930's cask beer dispenser that has to be hand-pumped. It serves a rotating selection of warmer, less carbonated craft beers, which I sampled and liked more than I thought I would. I didn't get any food but they have a menu of only appetizers (not sure if its different at other times), with steamed oysters, various sausages that I think are made in-house, and cheeses (with beer pairings). Just awesome.

Also I noticed while leaving that Prevue wasn't open. Has something happened? That would be sad as it was one of the only consistent comedy spots in town.

Edited by nonillogical