NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I agree. I am stumped by the fact this place is so disonected. I think the area has a ton of potential, but hate the fact that there is no connection between Uptown and 36th/37th streets without going through the "hood" . I HATE going to NoDa because of this. I am hoping that they will take a bulldozer to a lot of the blighted area that is basically the entrance to NoDa. If and when that takes place, there will be room for tons of growth and hopefully not at the expense of the artists' who call this place home.

Heh--funny you should mention the 'hood. That section used to feel really, really sketchy to me, but I guess you just get used to it after a while, because it no longer feels particularly bad. Not that I'd walk around there at night, but at least I don't dislike driving through there. That area's going to gentrify, though--I think homes are already starting to appreciate there. The Java Rose just opened up this year, and a new convenience store opened up on Davidson just north of Parkwood about two weeks ago.

One good thing is that there are still a bunch of industrial tracts located in and around the neighborhood. They're big enough to put decent-sized chunks of affordable high-density housing, but not so big as to lure lousy suburban developers. I just hope they do a good job of weaving new development into the fabric of the neighborhood. I like the Crosland buildings on Davidson in that regard, but I don't care too much for the Colony.

25 years ago, NoDa was also considered the "hood". It was full of beer gardens, strip joints, and the neighborhood theatre was the notorious Astor Art XXX movie theatre. Basically Noda was a place where people went to commit sins that they would not commit in more respectible parts of town.

I think the area underwent some gentrification because it had a number of abandoned buildings that worked well for this type of thing. There are also some quite nice Victorian/Dilworth type houses on 35th street near the Plaza (where the Noda revival started in the late 80s). Like all unchecked gentrification however, the eclectic part disappears in its later stages and is replaced by generic upscale blandness. Unfortunately that is what is happening in Noda now since most of the original buildings have been torn down and have been replaced by common development. And as mentioned above prices are driving out the people that changed it for the better in the first place.

An extreme example of this effect is Charleston SC. Gentrification has turned it into a great tourist attraction, but otherwise a pretty dead city. (the old pennisula part only). Noda will never develop to this point, but I am afraid it will turn into another Southend with the same charm and uniqueness of a shopping mall.

25 years ago, NoDa was also considered the "hood". It was full of beer gardens, strip joints, and the

An extreme example of this effect is Charleston SC. Gentrification has turned it into a great tourist attraction, but otherwise a pretty dead city. (the old pennisula part only). Noda will never develop to this point, but I am afraid it will turn into another Southend with the same charm and uniqueness of a shopping mall.

I agree, and that is my fear. I went to Atherton Mills this weekend to check out some of the so'called antiques.

I was pretty pissed as I kept hearing snickering from the peanut gallery in the back. Most of this snickering was probably directed at me since I did not look the part to be shopping in this high end Antique shop. I was wet and tired from shopping in the Plaza Midwood area earlier. When I went in I did not look like their typical customer so I guess they thought less of me and more than likely thought I did not carry the cash to buy their precious Fake Antiques.

Oh well, that is life in Southend. I think it is sad, considering the fact that I could have bought pretty much what I wanted in the shop. Point here: don't judge a book by its cover.

Just because I looked differently that day and was judged accordingly emphasises my point only more. Typically I would be in a suit or other Banking atire, but that day I was just me. I guess that is not good enough as their poop smells better than mine too.

My point is that the generic and cold croud is ever present in the design district and it is truly sad. This is going to happen in the NoDa district over time if we gentrify an area to the point that only the wealthy can afford this art's "FAD".

(I think I am going to be sick :sick: )

A2

Edited by A219724

^ sorry to be so cranky today guys. It has been a crappy weekend and I hate that our politicians let another corporate HQ's go. JP is being married to LinColn National and the CEO of less than a year has succefully taken a 100+ year old Greensboro company and manged to re-locate the future HQ's for the new combined company to Philly. Call me sentimental, but I like the Triad and really was hoping they could build on the loss of WB and regain a footing in the corporate world.

I wish nothing but good for our sister cities in NC, and can't believe JP's exec's sold out !!! We should all call Dole and her buddies and ask WTF they are doing in DC beside playing tidily winks with one another.

A2

Edited by A219724

metro,

If my experience is anything to go by, there are plenty of bankers and other white collar types who think that NoDa still is the 'hood, despite my assurances to the contrary. Once they decide it's safe and respectable, look out.

I agree, but the primary problem that further gentrification is so slow in Noda is downtown Charlotte. It has all the mind share right now and so called "urban pioneers" want to move there before going to places like Noda. Plus as you mention, there is a magic line called I-277 that most most the people will not cross unless they are feeling brave and adventuresome. The only people who are moving to Noda right now are those who want to live in downtown but can't afford it. There are a lot of property speculators in Noda now as well and ususally that is not good building a sense of "community".

Personally I think an undiscovered gem of a neighborhood that is easy to get to, is not crime ridden,and is fairly close to downtown is the area bound by Country Club drive, Shamrock and Eastway east of Shamrock elementary.

actually, the only people i know who live in NoDa (and bought within the last year at high prices) buy there because of the artsy vibe. they made friends with their neighbors, and fit right into the community. those people did not want the uptown-type neighborhood.... they wanted what only noda can offer in charlotte.

. When I went in I did not look like their typical customer so I guess they thought less of me and more than likely thought I did not carry the cash to buy their precious Fake Antiques. A2

you should have walked in with your axe strapped to your back rockin' the eddie t-shirt, then bought some expensive antique and dropped right after you pay for it. as they stand there horrified you could just shrug and say "meh...i was gonna use it for my cat's water dish anyhow"

you should have walked in with your axe strapped to your back rockin' the eddie t-shirt, then bought some expensive antique and dropped right after you pay for it. as they stand there horrified you could just shrug and say "meh...i was gonna use it for my cat's water dish anyhow"

:lol:

A2

I agree, but the primary problem that further gentrification is so slow in Noda is downtown Charlotte. It has all the mind share right now and so called "urban pioneers" want to move there before going to places like Noda. The only people who are moving to Noda right now are those who want to live in downtown but can't afford it.

I think Noda and downtown offer different things, so I don't regard them as close competitors. Noda's smaller, quieter, and greener. And given all the renovations going on right now, I'm not sure I'd describe gentrification as slow. Things seem like they've really picked up this year vs. last.

I was pretty pissed as I kept hearing snickering from the peanut gallery in the back. Most of this snickering was probably directed at me since I did not look the part to be shopping in this high end Antique shop. I was wet and tired from shopping in the Plaza Midwood area earlier. When I went in I did not look like their typical customer so I guess they thought less of me and more than likely thought I did not carry the cash to buy their precious Fake Antiques.

A2

Did they not see "Pretty Woman"? The golden rule of retail is to NEVER judge by the way a person is dressed or may "look".

a2, don't get pissed, but i'm snickering a bit now just imagining you at an antique shop :).

Very Funny D.

No, I was actually looking for a Hutch for the office. I have completed about 75% of my home office and have been looking in a lot of places to find just the right one. I almost purchased one off of Central at Antique Kingdom, but was not quite sold on the design. I went to Atherton Mills thinking I could find somthing that would suffice. No such luck. However, there were several items that did catch my eye, but I was not about to pay what they were asking. I have seen better deals at a Yard sale to be honest. I think that Atherton is a rip off, and only for people that have more money than sense IMO. Most of the stuff they claim are authentic antiques are simply rip offs made by some large money grubbing corporate giant trying to pawn it off in a design shop. I love how they listed a bed side table covered with mirrors and called it an art decco 50's nightstand.

The list price was $3,400 bucks. After a detailed inspection the wood was no more than a few years old, and the mirrored sides were friggin cracked.

A2

Edited by A219724

I would suggest Englishman's A2 if you don't mind reproduction but high quality stuff. Don't pay the sticker price there.

Even better, go work the estate auctions. This is where the antique dealers get their stuff anyway. I've gotten a lot of bargains at these things.

Thx Metro.m (aka monsoon). I might just do that.

No ofense to those of us here who like paying too much, but I doubt I will be back to Atherton anytime soon.

I know many of my friends would assume pay retail just to get some sort of twisted satisfaction of knowing they paid a lot for something. It is just like that with some people.

I am proud to always know that I got the best deal out there. I don't have to pay the most to feel the best about a purchace. As a matter of fact, I usually brag about getting such a Great deal.

A2

Edited by A219724

Waxhaw is also worth a short side trip on a Saturday. It's historic downtown has a lot of antique stores. You can hang out afterwards and grab an ice cream or a meal at one of the mom and pop joints. Providence road all the way down, you run slam into it.

Might have to do that one to. Thx Appatone for the info :thumbsup: . I always enjoy a great trip to another area of Charlotte.

I went to Boone/Blowing Rock this weekend, and despite the weather had a pretty decent time. Granted it is not an area immediately in the vicinity in CLT, but it's very close considering how quickly the toporaphy goes from rolling hills to 5000-6000 foot mountains. I got there in a record time of 1 hour 45 minutes (and that was to the Blue Ridge Pkwy !) . I timed it, that included a 5 minute stop at the local Hardee's in Hickory to get a "thickburger" plus a chocolate malt. Damn those things are good. :D

A2

(ok now back to NoDa Topic)

Edited by A219724