NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

^ I bet its Hanchetts the book as well. Read it and really loved it myself.

I'm going to suggest that the issue for Optimist Park, Belmont and Villa Heights is one of a more bland issue and that's their location in relation to the railroad and freight yards, the Brookshire and Industrial areas. Just look at it on a map and you are in geographic pockets with hard industrial/infrastructure dead ends to a degree.

What I would love to see is a conversion of many of the industrial spaces into more of a larger arts district. If North Davidson all the way from NoDa to almost Brookshire became more art warehouse centric it would dramatically alter the area while at the same time not needing dramatic infrastructure changes.

My comparison visual of this is Asheville's River Arts District which is several square miles of dilapidated industrial buildings that have been converted into a tourist attraction in their own right filled with artists workshops and galleries.

Once BLE happens, there's no stopping Optimist Park. Belmont, OTOH, is a harder nut to crack. Its outer edges of winding Little Sugar Creek, high-speed Parkwood, disconnected Hawthorne, and the industrially lined CSX, all make for an outer shell that is difficult to penetrate.

I think Optimist Park has more potential, it's the smallest of the three neighborhoods and the only one directly next to the BLE. It's also the more diverse, IMO. Parkwood and the rail yard is keeping it from any future developments. If you look at the development patterns in Optimist Park, on its southern side is where all the developments happened b/c then CATS had plans to put the BLE station at 16th Street and now it's at Parkwood and Brevard. There are older mill houses north of Parkwood and it's totally disconnected with the rest of Optimist Park even it's technically Optimist Park too.

Don't forget that Norfolk Southern will be moving their intermodal yard out to the airport in a year or two (I think construction has begun on their new facility already). This land (on the Villa Heights side of the rail yard) is likely to get a new (hopefully transit friendly) use. Some changes in the industrial uses along Brevard along with extending the greenway, and better connectivity between Brevard and N Davidson (bridges over the creek at 23rd through 26th streets will be required) would go a LONG way towards making this area an attractive part of the neighborhood.

Center City partners was trying to re-purpose the land as a site for a research campus of some sort but I don't think that got much traction. Its an interesting chunk of land but any reuse will be difficult since the remainder of the freight yard will still be there (although the Birmingham Railway park is an interesting model). Even if nothing is done the neighborhood should see many fewer trucks and have a better buffer between any new development and the rail classification yard.

That is the book! Thanks! I'd suggest anyone who has not read this to check it out. It's a really informative read.

I agree too about the petty crime. But the truth about public opinion changing a neighborhood is this: 20 years ago "NoDa (actually North Charlotte)" had the same petty crime problems. It wasn't until urban pioneers came in to reclaim the 'hood and address these problems that you're now able to see them on a map localized in the remaining "unclaimed" neighborhoods. What that was, though, was a commitment by urban pioneers that was contrary to public opinion - they didn't say "People tell us North Charlotte is bad, so we won't buy a house there." They said "I don't think North Charlotte is really as bad as people think it is." (Maybe it was? Maybe it wasn't.) But the commitment happened and look where NoDa is now.

I mentioned my friends who bought in Belmont. They were making that commitment (whether they were doing it as urban pioneers or for selfish reasons). The market, unfortunately for them, was not on their side. They needed one of two things to happen: their house to continue to appreciate, or to have more like-minded people to come in and do what they did. Unfortunately, neither of those things happened, and Belmont is still a pretty tough place to own.

I had an opportunity to buy in Seversville before I bought in NoDa. I like to think that I could roll with any 'hood and bring some good along with me. But I will admit that I am SO glad to not have bought over there. I think it would have really been a long, tough road until we were truly comfortable. More power to anyone who can do this - you're really doing you're 'hood a service.

I'd wager this book is what you're thinking of.

Unfortunately, Optimist Park, Belmont and Villa Heights suffer from a much higher concentration of petty crime than their neighbors in P-M and NoDa. One look at the CMPD crime mapper shows that it's reality, not a perception problem. I looked at renting in Belmont but almost half the properties within a couple of blocks have had some kind of larceny event in the past year.

The area has been working like mad to brand itself and fix its crime problems, but there are historical and economic forces working against it. I wonder what would have happened had the economy not tanked and Bloc 90 had actually been finished and not turned into a dilapidated pile for two years.

As a resident who lives in Villa Heights for the past year I really like my neighborhood and neighbors. There are a lot of residents that have moved in within the past couple of years and the neighborhood has changed a lot from what I have heard from some of the first people that bought in the area. There have been several minor incidents in the neighborhood but the communtiy association is very active and is working hard to make it safer. However; after listening to friends that live in Plaza Midwood and NODA I actually feel much safer where I am and as of now havent had any issues. My neighbors that were original residents are generally older working class and very very friendly and watch out for each other. The newer residents that are my neighbors are very diverse, gay, young families with kids, artists/musicians....etc (even a young couple from Scotland). Aaron Pomis who is running for a seat on the School Board lives down the block and is very involved in the neighborhood. Its funny since I moved I know everyone around my block and that is something I never had living in the suburbs or even in Dilworth. I have never felt unsafe walking at night from NODA or Amelie's. I think due to the downturn in the market it will take longer for this area to transition as fast as it was before but that is just fine with me as it gives the area a little soul and I love the older residents that live near me. Also, Ive noticed that the lot sizes in Villa Heights are so much bigger than the surrounding neighborhoods (I have almost half an acre) which makes a big difference living this close to downtown. Hopefully new people will continue to move into the area to provide greater diversity and the Light Rail Extension, Peddlers Post, CAST, NODA Brewery, the Hookah Bar, and Birdsong Brewery should help due to their proximaty. So heres to saying I may not live in NODA but its NODAish and its a great little neighborhood that is kinda hidden. Lets face it Charlotte could use a little more urban grit it adds to the character of urban life here.

I think the new businesses popping up along the Parkwood to Matheson stretch of N Davidson are beginning to give this area a Southend kind of feel. Transit along this stretch (along with improved connectivity between the LRT and N Davidson) should really open it up to change.

So heres to saying I may not live in NODA but its NODAish and its a great little neighborhood that is kinda hidden. Lets face it Charlotte could use a little more urban grit it adds to the character of urban life here.

A few years ago people did try to coin the term SoDa between Matheson Ave to Optimist Park area , but it's flawed b/c if following the naming logic of NoDa, North Davidson, then SoDa makes no sense b/c it's still North Davidson and there isn't a South Davidson.

^I think Villa Heights is a cool name for a neighborhood - it implies that it is high-up, usually a selling point for a city - especially one that is mostly flat. Optimist Park has a cool name too (does anyone else know the origin of this name? Other cities have Optimist Parks too). I tend to cringe at the "NoDa" moniker, but I think is has worth in that the term "North Charlotte" can be very misleading.

The residents of NoDa and Villa Heights has really started to mesh in the last year or two - probably for the same reason you mentioned: Villa Heights is starting to attract a younger/hipper group much like NoDa has done. I'd think N. Davidson Street will certainly turn into a contiguous like-minded area over the next couple years. Pretty cool.

It's fantastic! I went last night, the taproom is open on weekdays from 4-8pm. They are also running tours, though the times appear to change regularly so check the website. They have 4 beers on tap, one of which appears to rotate weekly. A couple tv's and a lot of room to sit and relax. I imagine they will do more as they grow.

All in all I think it is a great addition to that area. With BirdSong Brewery finishing up next door, that area is really going to see an influx of people on a regular basis. Both breweries are essentially located across from the Peddlers Post or Amelies if you are a little less familiar with the area.

Also, if you are a local beer fan and a fan of NoDa, check this out...

http://qcbrewfest.com/

• 4 weeks later...

The Observer (?!) is reporting that the Mercury NoDa has changed its site plan to be a single four story building (up from three stories) and 260 units (up from 160). It sounds like (although the Observer is ambiguous) that all the units will be apartments.

While I am not a NoDa resident I would think apartments in the core of the neighborhood will do a nice job increasing pedestrian activity throughout the day.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/11/27/2799412/noda-builder-changes-course.html#storylink=misearch

^True, kind of.

The old site plan was actually two phases - one of 4 stories, and one of 6 stories. The 6 story phase was to have ground floor retail.

The new site plan is all 4 stories, and no longer has ground floor retail on N. Davidson St. (going toward The Plaza from the N'Hood Theatre).

The developer is rezoning again because of the deletion of retail.

There are good parts of the new plan, and bad parts:

-4 stories is better than 6.

-the argument about the retail is that there is no financing available for retail, which is highly debated in the hood (personally I am concerned that unsupportable retail for retail sake is worse than adding 100+/- more neighbors in downtown NoDa).

-the new plan does a much better job of building to the sidewalks on all 4 sides of the property (there is no "back")

-the new plan has 4 stories of parking in the middle of the site, but limits the expand-ability of that parking that was in the first plan.

-the new plan has an interesting concept for public/private spaces on the interior of the development (a central courtyard that connects N. Davidson on a diagonal to 36th/Mercury St.

I'm on the fence about the thing. I guess I feel like as long as the units are rented at reasonable rates, the fabric of the neighborhood will be reinforced and continue to grow naturally. If the lose of retail proves to be a regret, I'd argue there would be no way to be sure the retail would have survived without the units. tough call..

I don't live live in NoDa and I'm not affiliated with the developer in any way. I can concur that there is absolutely 0% chance that the developer could get financing for retail space at this time, and 0% might even be too high. The only way it would happen is if the developer could essentially pay 100% of the cost of building the retail space out of his own equity, and even then banks may raise an eyebrow.

The downside of the real estate bust/recession is that banks have lost interest in doing anything creative. Banks want to lend on the most boring projects available, because they are easy to understand and getting HUD financing for anything resembling mixed-use is not happening in Charlotte.

At some point in the future, when real estate is booming again, you will see a willingness of banks to lend to more "thoughtful" projects, but that time is not now and not within the next couple of years.

In conclusion, the neighborhood has to decide whether they want development now, and if so, this is about as good as can be expected, or be willing to wait 4-5 years before something more resembling the original plans can be built.

I agree that a grocery store looks like a longer-term prospect now. But I wouldn't lose hope, since adding density ultimately creates future demand for more services.

The mixed-use purists would say the Central 27 and Plaza Vu developments on and near Plaza/Central are lifeless at street-level. Those same critics may also complain the planned Harris Teeter redevelopment lacks residential above. But the reality is those developments all support each other, albeit single use. That's because good urban design, especially walk-friendly design, matters much more than any vertical integration of uses.

Edited by southslider

^ Great points SS&Atl.

The mixed-use development concept works to add density to where density is not the norm. But in traditional neighborhood centers (such as NoDa or PM), *new* mixed-use often comes off as a marketing ploy; a Disney-esque development rather than something that occurred naturally.

The old adage of retail follows rooftops wasn't true for the last 5 years. And look where that got us.

If this portion of the street truly deserves a retail component I say wait. You're making a quarter, half, maybe full century mistake by not including it in the current plans. Perhaps the building could be designed so that street level apartments could be converted but then you have a whole lot of other code issues/use separation to spend on that it would be difficult to accomplish. I believe they could get financing for the retail provided it was about 80% pre leased. This is what developers are telling me now at least.

What does the neighborhood plan say anyway?

I think for this block it is perfectly fine purely because Neighborhood Theater, Boudreauxs and the other buildings will remain. That is the two critical corners. Why not let the other block faces be residential and just let another old building pop up for retail. I think that if that is how to let it work with more residential units, then so be it.

It is just a factor of the times we now live in, but frankly in a neighborhood like NoDa, all the more reason to continue to grow organically.

Would new retail even be organic?

The street level spaces of Fat City are empty and asking a lot of rent. Other nearby spaces that are relatively new yet filled have attracted bars and restaurants, not galleries or small shops. Even Boulevard and Green Rice have been pushed out of their older spaces. Today's art scene within the heart of NoDa has been reduced to gift boutiques, side walls in non-galleries, sidewalk vendors, and markets within Neighborhood Theatre.

Point is, organic places happen mostly through the adaptive reuse of existing buildings, NOT shiny new retail spaces. That's because shiny new spaces, including mixed-use projects, take a higher rent per square foot.

And for the heart of NoDa, the rent is too high for cool start-ups. The good news is, that the start-ups can move to other nearby areas, such as that around Amelie's, which is more so NoDa's organic hot-spot these days.

That is exactly what was running through my mind. Last thing they need is another corporate sales team pulling in another bank branch. I know NoDa needs banks too, but still, the block in question has good adaptive reuse retail that has been there for ages on the 2 most important block faces. The fact that they're saving that should count well enough in this town.

Slowly but surely we are starting to see signs of new projects to come. Can't wait for some of these to become reality, as I miss the crains and construction projects around town.

To add to the list of projects seems to be this. NoDa 22

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2012/006-012/2012-009%20site%20plan.pdf

Edited by rjp212