NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Had my semi-annual bike ride through NoDa today:

1) Noticed that the Davidson Public House appeared to be open in the old Myagi's space (despite the sign saying 'open' it appeared to actually be closed on Sunday afternoon). It looked more modern than I would expect a pub-like public house to be.

2) The 36th st underpass is going slowwwwwly. The Tryon side looks to be nearly completely excavated (although I did not cross to tracks to get a good look), but the Davidson side is little more than a ditch at the moment, lots more digging and drainage work remains before the tunneling under the tracks can get started.

3) There is a bunch of construction material staged at the former warehouse site at the tracks and 36th but it did not appear to be for the road / rail project. Is construction on that site eminent?

4) Yards seemed sparsely populated (granted its a holiday weekend and I don't know how long they have been renting space). Stage two (the Brevard st portion of the site) also appears to be stalled. Has anyone heard about how they are doing?

5) Is the Dog Bar always butt-to-nut on Sunday afternoons?

Staging at old Newco Fiber Warehouse is for Mercury.  The GC is leasing the space from MPV.

I have no knowledge to support this so it's total guesswork, but my guess is that they will progress all the overpass/underpasses that involve the heavy rail together.  They will get them all to the point of closing down the lines together.  That way they can do them all at once and only close down the line one time while all the overpass/underpass work along the whole line is done.  That would explain why some seem to have stalled - because they are waiting on others to catch up.  Again, total guess.

Also, "but-to-nut".  I can't believe I've never heard that one before.  Love it.

Had my semi-annual bike ride through NoDa today:

1) Noticed that the Davidson Public House appeared to be open in the old Myagi's space (despite the sign saying 'open' it appeared to actually be closed on Sunday afternoon). It looked more modern than I would expect a pub-like public house to be.

Place has no signage and no social media presence.  Looks like it will be just as successful as the prior tenants... 

• Like 1

Place has no signage and no social media presence.  Looks like it will be just as successful as the prior tenants... 

I was shocked to see that as well, I just don't get the business owners in this town. Between this and Chupitos (and the million other failed bars), how can these people not see what's successful and implement? To this places credit, it at least got off the ground unlike Chupitos lol

Edited by Jayvee

• 1 month later...

Word through the grapevine is that Crescent Resources has gone (or is about to go) under contract with MPV for the entire Newco Fiber site.  It will be a mixed use development / urban village.

They already are under contract on the 7 acres adjacent to the 36th Street station and have submitted a rezoning petition. The interesting part of the petition is that they've requested one drive-thru, which is odd for a larger urban mixed-use project. If I had to guess, I'd say there could be a future Teeter in play here and they want to have the ability to have the pharmacy drive-thru lane. 

Does this mean that Chop Shop is in danger? That's included in the site, right? I wouldn't mind its surroundings being upgraded but if the venue bringing in the best variety of shows in all of Charlotte is torn down it will be terrible for NoDa. Neighborhood Theater is a shadow of its former self with this new booking company, despite the nice upgrades, and they won't be willing or able to fill the void. 

Does this mean that Chop Shop is in danger? That's included in the site, right? I wouldn't mind its surroundings being upgraded but if the venue bringing in the best variety of shows in all of Charlotte is torn down it will be terrible for NoDa. Neighborhood Theater is a shadow of its former self with this new booking company, despite the nice upgrades, and they won't be willing or able to fill the void. 

:-( I am pretty sure it'll be a goner. Hopefully they will build in space for Chop Shop, or Chop Shop will relocate to another cool space. I just hope this project has good massing, and no more than 3 floors along 36th with true store fronts. Hopefully this site will be as inventive as the rest of Crescents work recently. "place-making"

:-( I am pretty sure it'll be a goner. Hopefully they will build in space for Chop Shop, or Chop Shop will relocate to another cool space. I just hope this project has good massing, and no more than 3 floors along 36th with true store fronts. Hopefully this site will be as inventive as the rest of Crescents work recently. "place-making"

They have set a max building height of 80' in the rezoning application.  I would expect a mid-rise at this location.  But maybe still lower height along 36th.  That would be nice.

Crescent has gone on a buying spree. See what a billion can do.

I wish someone would give me a billion. First priority would be finishing Levineland the right way. The next would be Elizabeth once I made enough money back on Levineland.

Could one of the people that live in Noda *Cough* Tozmervo *Cough* get a picture of Mercury Noda?

Close your eyes... in your mind, imagine the most beautiful melange of 2x4s, 2x6s and 1/2" plywood sheathing towering above you at the grand height of four stories...

...will try to grab a picture this evening :)

Close your eyes... in your mind, imagine the most beautiful melange of 2x4s, 2x6s and 1/2" plywood sheathing towering above you at the grand height of four stories...

...will try to grab a picture this evening :)

I completely forgot you were out of town. Thanks.

I just couldn't make it to tonight's noda association meeting, but it sounds like their was a vote that overwhelmingly supported the Crescent project and it's associated rezoning. Hopefully some pretty plans will be posted soon to ease the pain of loosing chop shop. 

Hopefully some pretty plans will be posted soon to ease the pain of loosing chop shop. 

Although I'm sure the development will be nice given Crescent's recent track record, this loss honestly angers me more than any Charlotte tear-down in recent memory, and is a bigger gut punch to the culture of NoDa than I feel like anyone is acknowledging. I'm surprised I haven't heard any major outcry yet. Even though its somewhat hidden across the tracks, it feels like the center of the neighborhood to me, hosting not only the best variety of concerts in town, but also dance, comedy and variety events with regularity. Like I said before Neighborhood Theater's new booking company seems to be content to barely book any shows there and almost criminally underuse the place, and while I hope they'll pick up the slack since its still a great venue, I'm not confident. I dunno, I'm sure this all sounds very melodramatic, but to me this is very emblematic of my fears about the direction a more desirable, more expensive NoDa might take, and deals a large blow much sooner than I even expected.

Apparently the vote tonight was 33-2-1 in favor of supporting the rezoning. I can't imagine what Crescent sold to get that kind of support, but it must have been good. (Maybe even saving the chop shop? I dunno.)

How in the world don't we know yet what they said??? This is urban 'freaking' planet!!! Edited by Guest