NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Apparently the vote tonight was 33-2-1 in favor of supporting the rezoning. I can't imagine what Crescent sold to get that kind of support, but it must have been good. (Maybe even saving the chop shop? I dunno.)

I wasn't there, but what I heard was that "elements" of the building will be preserved and incorporated into the development, but they made it clear that the actual chop shop will not be preserved. There also weren't any renderings, just pictures of some existing NoDa buildings that would be similar, as well as some other pictures that represented materials, style, etc. 

Does the Chop Shop want to be saved?   Maybe they got a good deal in the buyout of their lease?

That is my thinking as well.  Maybe they got a great offer and found another location right near by?  This could easily be a win-win for everyone involved and folks are already lambasting it.  We should wait for the details first before we all get our pitchforks out.

That is my thinking as well.  Maybe they got a great offer and found another location right near by?  This could easily be a win-win for everyone involved and folks are already lambasting it.  We should wait for the details first before we all get our pitchforks out.

That would be nice, but would seem to be the exception rather than the rule it seems. The lease for Roux! was not renewed last April and they weren't given any reason why. They eventually were able to find a space in Plaza-Midwood (now called The Rabbit Hole).

From the comment section of that article : "lose the chop shop and replace it with crescent development parking garage? that sure is a good way to kill one of the biggest draws for nodas art community and mill town feel attractions. don't approve rezoning, prolong the inevitable so that residents can enjoy why noda is what it is while it lasts. developers don't aggregate or weave anything into culture. they homogenize and bulldoze it, printing out the cheapest product as fast as possible, destroying any resemblance of the tapestry noda represents."

Opening a can of worms here but it could be a good discussion.  What the lamenters in neighborhoods like NoDa fail to recognize is that big bad developers don't throw a dart at a map and say "there, I will go destroy that neighborhood".  They want to go into neighborhoods that are beginning to pop.  They look at demographics and housing trends and want to latch on to that.  The people that moved there 5 years ago and now lament the "loss of the character and history" that they have fallen in love with (over the last 5 years) don't realize that they are the ones that caused it.  Fat City and Center of the Earth are long gone because of them but it's ok, it's the way it goes.

Not sure what my point is...  I guess just to say that this is the way it goes.  All a neighborhood like NoDa and its residents can do is try and counterbalance as best they can to get some give back from the developers.

• Like 1

I was out riding last night (because let's face it, the weather was amazing) and got up to NoDa.  It was dark so I couldn't snap any photos of Mercury NoDa (sorry RDF) but holy crap does that sucker make a difference on that corner.  It looms over Boudreaux and really makes that corner feel urban now.  I just envisioned the light rail station there in a couple years and the density that the Crescent project, among others could bring.  I got all tingly just thinking about it and almost got hit by a car.  OH, and the Davidson Public House was also pretty busy, more so than I ever saw Miyagis.  So that's good news.  Tons of people out, walking around in the hood though.  NoDa was popping for 8pm on a Wednesday.

I don't know about you guys but I'm having a real difficulty feeling attached to this building. Yes it holds a great venue, but NoDa needs retail store fronts, warm bodies, a hub for a coming transit line and a super market more than it needs ChopShop. Chop Shop will have no problem finding a home 1 train stop away between the Teens and the Mid 20s. 

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=36th+and+North+Davidson&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4#Y3A9NDEuNzA2MTYxfi03Mi45NjkxMDgmbHZsPTkmc3R5PXImcT0zNnRoJTIwYW5kJTIwTi4lMjBEYXZpZHNvbiUyMFN0cmVldCUyQyUyMENoYXJsb3R0ZSUyQyUyME5D

Edited by Guest

I don't know about you guys but I'm having a real difficulty feeling attached to this building. Yes it holds a great venue, but NoDa needs retail store fronts, warm bodies, a hub for a coming transit line and a super market more than it needs ChopShop. Chop Shop will have no problem finding a nome 1 train stop away between the Teens and the Mid 20s.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?q=36th+and+North+Davidson&mkt=en&FORM=HDRSC4#Y3A9NDEuNzA2MTYxfi03Mi45NjkxMDgmbHZsPTkmc3R5PXImcT0zNnRoJTIwYW5kJTIwTi4lMjBEYXZpZHNvbiUyMFN0cmVldCUyQyUyMENoYXJsb3R0ZSUyQyUyME5D

Couldn't agree more good sir

I think for most people this is a knee jerk reaction we're seeing here. Too many times we have lost a beloved part of the city with pi-in-the-sky promises that something just as good or better will arrive only to be let down time and time again. All a place like Chop Shop needs is an empty industrial building (which there is no shortage of in the area) and they are good to go. Clearly the guy running this place knows what he's doing so I'm sure he will have Chop Shop 2 up and running in no time.

There's also a strong fear in NoDa that it'll just look like South End in a couple of years. Granted, I think SE is actually making remarkable strides in developing a neighborhood culture, but the image of big corporate superblock apartments is there. 

• Like 1

There's also a strong fear in NoDa that it'll just look like South End in a couple of years. Granted, I think SE is actually making remarkable strides in developing a neighborhood culture, but the image of big corporate superblock apartments is there. 

I think that the lack of large developable spaces in the Noda Core will keep it more or less safe. Most of the SouthEnd style development will occur between 15th and 28th, West of the Lightrail, North of Highland Mill and along N. Brevard. Nobody is going to be able to touch the "Downtown Noda area" that'd be like people messing with Plaza Midwood along Central between Thomas and Plaza.

Edited by Guest

Crescent is 2 for 2 so far on their development plans for Charlotte. I have every bit of confidence they will knock this development out of the park. Here is a biz journal article on a grocer for it

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/03/can-crescent-land-a-boutique-grocer-for-noda.html

Trader Joes or Healthy Home Market would knock it out of the park here.