NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I hope this development leads to changes across the street. The industrial area facing this development is a huge eyesore, but prime real estate, since it's right next to the rail lines and light rail station. I also like how the growth of NoDa is finally spilling over unto the north side of the tracks.

Nothing some trees and bushes can't hide  :)

Looks like there is a smaller grocery store going in under the Fat City condos, but haven't seen any info on it online  This neighborhood really needs a grocery store.

They open on Saturday. Standard convenience store fare plus produce from the NoDa Farmers Market and a decent craft beer selection. Open until 2am on weekends.

post-11279-0-07174200-1436489152_thumb.j

Ive been looking at the Noda neighborhood association's letters to various developers and they seem to be some sort of parking worshiping cult. Despite TOD zoning, they INSIST on 1:1 parking ratios for units. One more disturbing letter spoke of the 'the greater good' that providing parking does. They do realize by pushing developers of these huge projects to provide ample parking, they guarantee more traffic. Money and space that would be developed for public spaces and perhaps better architecture are being funneled to provide parking.

Ive been looking at the Noda neighborhood association's letters to various developers and they seem to be some sort of parking worshiping cult. Despite TOD zoning, they INSIST on 1:1 parking ratios for units. One more disturbing letter spoke of the 'the greater good' that providing parking does. They do realize by pushing developers of these huge projects to provide ample parking, they guarantee more traffic. Money and space that would be developed for public spaces and perhaps better architecture are being funneled to provide parking.

They lost a MASSIVE parking deck to Mercury Noda. It was something crazy like 65% of the public parking available in the neighborhood. Noda doesn't yet have a reliable mode of public transportation. It doesn't open for 2 more years. People can't effectively live in Noda without a car yet.

They lost a MASSIVE parking deck to Mercury Noda. It was something crazy like 65% of the public parking available in the neighborhood. Noda doesn't yet have a reliable mode of public transportation. It doesn't open for 2 more years. People can't effectively live in Noda without a car yet.

Completely agree.  I want NoDa to become an urban, walkable utopia, but it's still a couple years away.  And right now there is no parking there.  Much like we've discussed for P-Midwood, I'd really love for the city to take some initiative and build a large public parking deck to support that need, allowing for developers to be able to move away from the 1:1 requirement.  

The costs of parking are still catastrophic! Those new apartments in Noda (which the consensus is they are ugly) are greatly increasing the density but half the point of density is lost when every unit has a car. That's another 250 cars added to local traffic!

It's madness!

I really want to go to Solstice and other places in NoDa. But I'm probably going to wait until light rail because I assume parking is impossible. I just went to Amelies because my friends sister works there and she promised me there was parking.

I'd go to NoDa a lot more but not enough parking spaces and no BCycle station and really no good enough bike path make it worth it to me

Completely agree.  I want NoDa to become an urban, walkable utopia, but it's still a couple years away.  And right now there is no parking there.  Much like we've discussed for P-Midwood, I'd really love for the city to take some initiative and build a large public parking deck to support that need, allowing for developers to be able to move away from the 1:1 requirement.  

? I've never not been able to find parking in NoDa or P-M.

I really want to go to Solstice and other places in NoDa. But I'm probably going to wait until light rail because I assume parking is impossible. I just went to Amelies because my friends sister works there and she promised me there was parking.

I'd go to NoDa a lot more but not enough parking spaces and no BCycle station and really no good enough bike path make it worth it to me

There is parking available, though it is a pain during peak times.  The 23 also goes there and it's only about a 10-12 minute ride from the CTC, the last bus back to the CTC is at 1:28am on weekdays, 1:07am on Saturdays (Sunday morning), and 12:30am on Sundays (Monday morning). 

To put Parking in NoDa into perspective, while it does have more and longer peak times, I find it no more difficult to find parking there than I do in Downtown Shelby during peak times.  The main difference is the streets are a lot narrower.

• Like 1

Über and busses are far too much of a hassle. I'm not going to Be tied to a bus schedule where In huntersvillenwe only have express or drive to NorthLake and ride to uptown and then to NoDa. Nor will I call an Uber and heck no to a cab (that's expensive).

If we want Charlotte to be a big city, the city should be planned out in such a way. Including NoDa. And it will once it has Light Rail and greenways to NoDa.

It's called yellow cab or Uber. Boston's North End or NY's Meatpacking District have no transit, and no parking, but thrive. If we want Charlotte to be a big city, then be prepared for the challenges that accompany it.

That's all well and good, but the reality is we aren't in Boston or NYC, we are in Charlotte. So that's a pretty silly comparison. The city still doesn't even have a density of 3000 people per square mile. I'd wager at any given time, over half the people hanging out in NoDa and spending money there, live miles away from it.

Certainly for us, riding a bike or Uber is the best option, because we live in the city. However even for me, living in Montclaire, it takes a good 45 minutes by bike or a $20 -$25 cab ride each way. It's just not practical. I still do it, but most don't.

The reality is people that live in Concord or Huntersville visit NoDa en masse and if we want the district to thrive there is going to need to be a combination of accessible transit options and parking. We just do not have the density to warrant any other option. Yet.

• Like 1

Über and busses are far too much of a hassle. I'm not going to Be tied to a bus schedule where In huntersvillenwe only have express or drive to NorthLake and ride to uptown and then to NoDa. Nor will I call an Uber and heck no to a cab (that's expensive).

If we want Charlotte to be a big city, the city should be planned out in such a way. Including NoDa. And it will once it has Light Rail and greenways to NoDa.

NoDa is planned out that way.  Big City means limited parking, if you want easy parking go on a weeknight, if you don't find easy parking there are paid lots on 36th (go through the local traffic only barricade, I assume that's still there but I haven't been through the barricade in forever), and one on 35th.  I visit NoDa regularly, and I live in Rural Northern Cleveland County (an Hour and 15 minutes away), while I have guaranteed parking there (for the moment) I have always seen available parking.  If I couldn't find parking I'd just run up to 7th street station walk to the CTC and take the 23, it runs twice hourly till 8 and hourly after that.  If my country bumpkin butt can find parking you suburbanites can too.   

Seriously 7th street station almost always has parking available.  $2 per 20 minutes, up to $16, or if you go after 5 it's a $5 flat rate.

Edited by DEnd
  • Like 1

NoDa is planned out that way. Big City means limited parking, if you want easy parking go on a weeknight, if you don't find easy parking there are paid lots on 36th (go through the local traffic only barricade, I assume that's still there but I haven't been through the barricade in forever), and one on 35th. I visit NoDa regularly, and I live in Rural Northern Cleveland County (an Hour and 15 minutes away), while I have guaranteed parking there (for the moment) I have always seen available parking. If I couldn't find parking I'd just run up to 7th street station walk to the CTC and take the 23, it runs twice hourly till 8 and hourly after that. If my country bumpkin butt can find parking you suburbanites can too.

I can, but it's not worth it to me. If I go to 7th street station, I will just stay uptown. Or Elizabeth. Or SouthEnd. Dilworth. Park Road Shopping Center, Plaza-Midwood is easy to get to from Elizabeth.

But that will all change when I can just drive to University and take Light Rail to NoDa. It will also be better for me when they add greenway.

If I had guaranteed parking, I'd probably visit frequently also. :D my Garaunteed parking is the 2nd floor of the target parking lot at Metroplitan. So from there I can network out as I said to uptown, Plaza, Park Road, Dilworth, SouthEnd. And I use the greenway, soon to be streetcar, light rail, bike lanes from there.

The reality is people that live in Concord or Huntersville visit NoDa en masse and if we want the district to thrive there is going to need to be a combination of accessible transit options and parking. We just do not have the density to warrant any other option. Yet.

The District has been doing well for over 10 years with dwindling parking, and as parking decreases it does even better.  More parking means more cars, more cars makes the district less walkable.  Light Rail will make accessing it easier, but it will be a much bigger benefit to those who live there than it will to those who visit.

I can, but it's not worth it to me. If I go to 7th street station, I will just stay uptown. Or Elizabeth. Or SouthEnd. Dilworth. Park Road Shopping Center, Plaza-Midwood is easy to get to from Elizabeth.

But that will all change when I can just drive to University and take Light Rail to NoDa. It will also be better for me when they add greenway.

If I had guaranteed parking, I'd probably visit frequently also. :D my Garaunteed parking is the 2nd floor of the target parking lot at Metroplitan. So from there I can network out as I said to uptown, Plaza, Park Road, Dilworth, SouthEnd. And I use the greenway, soon to be streetcar, light rail, bike lanes from there.

LOL my guaranteed parking is contingent on sweat equity, I'm pretty much only there helping out a friend in his shop.  Which will soon be moving because someone wants to put Apartments, and Retail there...  And NoDa is way betterer than Uptown, it's probably betterer than P-M at this point.  The Gallery Crawls on the 1st and 3rd Friday evenings (till 9:30) are pretty good.

Edited by DEnd

Alright guys. We're finally becoming a strong and memorable district of character. Let's build giant POS parking deck and guarantee a car for every new resident because that's what made Main Street memorable in the first place.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize this is about people's refusal to change in lifestyles. We want a walkable district but I still want my car. Everyone needs a car.

If this continues, the traffic issues in Noda will never improve and it will take a much longer time for transit to take off in Charlotte.

if I ever get the luck and honor to build in Noda, I will never add a parking lot.

Edited by mazman34340

Alright guys. We're finally becoming a strong and memorable district of character. Let's build giant POS parking deck and guarantee a car for every new resident because that's what made Main Street memorable in the first place.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize this is about people's refusal to change in lifestyles. We want a walkable district but I still want my car. Everyone needs a car.

If this continues, the traffic issues in Noda will never improve and it will take a much longer time for transit to take off in Charlotte.

if I ever get the luck and honor to build in Noda, I will never add a parking lot.

No ones advocating building a blank wall parking deck in a prominent area.

Just stating there needs to be more accessible ways to reach NoDa at any given time. And only a small minority of people would drive from other parts of charlotte or the region to a park and ride and take a bus to NoDa (which you'd still have to park your vehicle on a surface lot or parking garage anyway so I'm not sure how that's anymore urban...)

I don't think it makes any of those who wouldn't mind a nicely done parking garage on a side street any less "urban" than people against a place to park. But Light Rail is coming so it will relieve the situation along with a greenway.

You'll also stifle the business and cultural growth by physically not being accessible to all the weirdo's around the region.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

If you owned a business in NoDa, you'd be banging a very different drum. NoDa, nor Charlotte for that matter, has the density to warrant what you are talking about. One day it will, and it'll be great. But you're ignoring the reality of what Charlotte is as opposed to what you want to to be today. Sorry to burst your bubble.