NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

^

Charlotte will never become what we all want it to be if we build For what it currently is.

I'm not advocating for a bunch of surface lots or something. As I said, it would make sense to have one decent sized public deck, with wrapped retail on the base, to support parking. It would allow for additional buildings to not require the 1:1 parking mandate, and the district can continue to focus on transit and walkability. I'm confused as to why I'm receiving pushback on this. NoDa is basically a quarter mile on one street of density.

Partly where I'm comming from is Main Street of Noda is still about 2-3 blocks long and about 1 block wide. It's one of the best main streets of Charlotte but it's still small and vulnerable. The strength of Noda is in that area and building and expanding in a very similar way to that would make it stronger. This parking 'crisis' helps prevent that type of construction. Not sure if it would make the apartments less ugly.

Partly where I'm comming from is Main Street of Noda is still about 2-3 blocks long and about 1 block wide. It's one of the best main streets of Charlotte but it's still small and vulnerable. The strength of Noda is in that area and building and expanding in a very similar way to that would make it stronger. This parking 'crisis' helps prevent that type of construction. Not sure if it would make the apartments less ugly.

The parking crisis/lack of mass transit for the greater region is leading to less people visiting who would otherwise contribute to the urban atmosphere that would support local artist, thrift stores, etc. People who want to visit NoDa are coming for that funk, grunge & local & art. Not to eat at Carolina Ale House. But it's all mute now because Light Rail is coming.

Looks like they are adding 500+ parking spaces at the Sugar Creek station. Does this solve the parking crisis?

Mind you, it's an image from 2011 so it could be dated but either way, the station is going to be a great addition to the district.

I wish it was placed a bit closer to the main intersection of Noda (where the theatre was).

Looks like they are adding 500+ parking spaces at the Sugar Creek station. Does this solve the parking crisis?

Mind you, it's an image from 2011 so it could be dated but either way, the station is going to be a great addition to the district.

I wish it was placed a bit closer to the main intersection of Noda (where the theatre was).

There's already a station going in at 36th st. It's about as close as you can get to the theatre but won't have parking, nor should a park and ride station be in the middle of "downtown" Noda.

• Like 1

It's been suggested that Sugar Creek's parking deck might provide a good option for people, but I'm not sure. It'll be about a 3/4 mile walk, and I don't know what the patience level would be waiting on a train every 15-20+ minutes (since peak entertainment hours are not peak train hours)

• 2 weeks later...

I must have missed the discussion of this here, no way something this large went under our radar: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2015/07/mixed-use-project-planned-for-nodas-greenway.html?ana=e_clt_rdup&s=newsletter&ed=2015-07-23&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1437655512

300-400 residemtial units, 40,000 sqft of retail and 200-250,000 sqft office space. All on the Tryon side of the tracks, north of Matheson on the Greenway.

edit: WTF, Chick Godley road???

Edited by kermit

I must have missed the discussion of this here, no way something this large went under our radar: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2015/07/mixed-use-project-planned-for-nodas-greenway.html?ana=e_clt_rdup&s=newsletter&ed=2015-07-23&u=jDmEk+CKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1437655512

300-400 residemtial units, 40,000 sqft of retail and 200-250,000 sqft office space. All on the Tryon side of the tracks, north of Matheson on the Greenway.

edit: WTF, Chick Godley road???

Woah... That actually went under the radar...

Where the hell is Chick Godley Rd?

Edited by Guest

With NoDa Brewing about to anchor it, I definitely see N Tryon between 30th/Matheson and 36th changing significantly with the rest of the light rail transformation in NoDa. The substantial post office parcel is already on the market. There's great access to NoDa, 36th St Station and Matheson will get a major bike/ped overhaul in the next couple of years.It should definitely serve as a nice catalyst for the "applied innovation corridor" 

So after looking at the plan...

http://www.designcraftpa.com/home/designcraft-portfolio.php?project_id=70

I have some thoughts. 

• Love the idea of a central park area surrounding the greenway. This area would benefit greatly. 

• The mix of uses are perfect for the area, just to think NoDa could have two hotels in the next 2 or 3 years.

• The only problem that I see is this plan does nothing to address the connectivity of Noda. There should be at least two bridges over the light rail connecting back into Noda. This is worse than the area between New Bern and Tremont.  

The bridge problem has been mentioned in neighborhood meetings surrounding this project. It's likely Cullman avenue will be extended by the project through to Matheson, but the topography/rail in the area makes a road bridge unfeasible (and is why Matheson is such a beast). A pedestrian bridge has been floated in conjunction with the greenway project, but the problem is still somewhat the same; to get over the rail lines you're stuck doing something that closely parallels (maybe even under) Matheson bridge

With NoDa Brewing about to anchor it, I definitely see N Tryon between 30th/Matheson and 36th changing significantly with the rest of the light rail transformation in NoDa. The substantial post office parcel is already on the market. There's great access to NoDa, 36th St Station and Matheson will get a major bike/ped overhaul in the next couple of years.It should definitely serve as a nice catalyst for the "applied innovation corridor" 

The Post office parcel is going to be a Quiktrip.  

• Like 1

I scouted out the parcel before and it looked promising but the 250,000 tax value was steep. Hope the new owner will make it a fine addition to the community.

Wonder how much the guy paid for.

I don't find 250k tax value steep at all for a commercial building in the heart of the NoDa business district. Hell I looked at a house not long ago in Plaza Midwood that needed probably 75k worth of work with a tax value of 249,000 and it was just a block over from belmont near some really run down apartments.